Toyota is more Australian then Holden (GM)

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Holden / general motors officially pulled the plug on manufacturing in Australia. The last automotive manufacturer is Toyota. Holden used to claim they were the only Australian brand, the most. Well now being the latest to pull out I think that title is revoked and now Toyota is now the most still producing the Camry here.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So what will happen to Holden? I used to want the Pontiac G8, which is made in Australia by Holden. I guess I won't get the Chevy SS now either.
Is there still Ford of Australia?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Holden I think will move to Asia and import them badged as Holden. Ford did the shift just before Holden, so the Australian fords like the territory won't be manufactured or designed here anymore.

Holdens cut affects 1,500 employees directly and about 8500 indirectly. I guess they will make cars like the ss else where and import them.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I know they sold off the astra line to Opel, hopefully the rest of the lines don't fade. Its odd you want our holden range, most here wants the Chevy range... Some even change their car badges to Chevy's to be 'cool'.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I know they sold off the astra line to Opel, hopefully the rest of the lines don't fade. Its odd you want our holden range, most here wants the Chevy range... Some even change their car badges to Chevy's to be 'cool'.

When I read a Car & Driver article comparing the Holden HSV GTS R 300 to the BMW M5, I was sold (link: Holden HSV GTS R 300 vs. BMW M5 - Comparison Tests). Then I learned that the Pontiac G8 was based on the Holden Commodore, and wanted the Pontiac G8 until they killed it off. I really haven't heard anything bad about the Commodore, and hope to be able to purchase the new Chevy SS based off of the new Commodore (link: 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver). Then there was a Pontiac GTO based on the Holden Monaro. If it wouldn't cost me a crap load of money, I would import one. You guys have some nice cars down there. I especially like the Ford Falcon after I saw it in Car & Driver (link: Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo - Specialty File - Car and Driver).

Just out of curiosity, why are people in Australia wanting Chevys over Holdens?

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Holden I think will move to Asia and import them badged as Holden. Ford did the shift just before Holden, so the Australian fords like the territory won't be manufactured or designed here anymore.

Holdens cut affects 1,500 employees directly and about 8500 indirectly. I guess they will make cars like the ss else where and import them.

That's not good for the economy at all. Any idea why they are shifting to Asia? Is it costs? Do you know if the cars will be made to current specifications and quality, or will that decrease too?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Holden has been very let's say quiet in their details. Initially they said they had no decision about closing manufacturing and engineering until the government said if they don't tell the workers their choice before the new year because they know they made up their mind they will cut holden out the budget for the new year presuming their closing. The next day Holden came clean.

I personally do like the Monaro, it is expensive and I do know someone who had ridiculously bad issues with it e.g. brand new one broke down 5 times (they ended up replacing their car for free). It's funny how people always like by he exotic cars as we love the American cars e.g. Camaro or Challenger but to bring one over would be 130k!

Holden just said people weren't really buying their cars anymore. As apparently we are now one of the most diverse car markets in the world with freedom of choice and its hard with a small population. I have a feeling it's largely due to the asking price of the cars they sell you can get a nice Japanese car with the same features but four cylinder for about 1/2 to 3/4 of the costs.

Holdens are still popular with the blue collars and young males but then again they are all bought second hand and wouldn't benefit holden directly.

I believe they are moving to save costs as our labour is extremely high costs wise. I presume it won't affect quality as cars built in Japan have a better safety rating then the cars built here. As for the economy its not very good the governments planning on putting all the workers on skills development courses as soon as the plants close. Then again apparently they were injecting $40,000 per worker into the company before the announcement.

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
When I read a Car & Driver article comparing the Holden HSV GTS R 300 to the BMW M5, I was sold (link: Holden HSV GTS R 300 vs. BMW M5 - Comparison Tests). Then I learned that the Pontiac G8 was based on the Holden Commodore, and wanted the Pontiac G8 until they killed it off. I really haven't heard anything bad about the Commodore, and hope to be able to purchase the new Chevy SS based off of the new Commodore (link: 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver). Then there was a Pontiac GTO based on the Holden Monaro. If it wouldn't cost me a crap load of money, I would import one. You guys have some nice cars down there. I especially like the Ford Falcon after I saw it in Car & Driver (link: Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo - Specialty File - Car and Driver).

Just out of curiosity, why are people in Australia wanting Chevys over Holdens?

i had a 2004 pontiac gto, and it was very powerful. sadly i was in a wreck and totaled it. back in 2009 when i was looking for a replacement i wound up in a pontiac dealer and was looking at their last 2008 pontiac g8 that they had on the lot. while not too color, i love the car. the handling and power is on par with my gto. after 5 years i still haven't found a car with the same performance for a comparable price.

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
i had a 2004 pontiac gto, and it was very powerful. sadly i was in a wreck and totaled it. back in 2009 when i was looking for a replacement i wound up in a pontiac dealer and was looking at their last 2008 pontiac g8 that they had on the lot. while not too color, i love the car. the handling and power is on par with my gto. after 5 years i still haven't found a car with the same performance for a comparable price.

I am jealous. Both of those are nice cars. I am sorry to hear about the GTO however.
Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I find it interesting how these cars are found as head turners over there while here it seems a middle/upper class car.

likeag8

Banned
Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting how these cars are found as head turners over there while here it seems a middle/upper class car.

seriously? any idea why that is?

Sent from my HTC One

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Their cheapish compared to other cars. Approximately same price as a mid range Subaru impreza or very bottom end BMW.

Just for the specs you get for the price you pay here most go towards the Asian brands. The only ones who really buy them are blue collar workers as the white collars prefer the more luxury car.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Holden is a treasure the way SAAB was...I wish Musk would or Ballmer would step in and buy.. Aussie brawn and innovation was always evident in Holden design and loosing that DNA is a real loss for the world...

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair