airless tires: yay or nay

keifferr

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
A bit old news, but I just saw it on the net that Michelin and GM will bring airless tires by 2024. With this kind of innovation, no more flats and blowouts according to them. What do you think?

michelin-airless-uptis-tire-14291.jpg

To me, the design looks cool though I still prefer standard tires like my current nexen tires.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They been playing around with this technology for awhile , but they can't make construction out of metal as it would eat up the asphalt , that's why they don't let you use metal studs in winter time or chains only certain time of winter. But they need to keep refining the run flat technology which is great , if you get a flat on that or blowout the sidewall can drive up to 50 miles

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But they need to keep refining the run flat technology which is great , if you get a flat on that or blowout the sidewall can drive up to 50 miles

The problem with run flats is they can't be repaired. If I'm going to get a nail in my tire, I'd rather pay for a flat repair than an entirely new tire (or up to 4, depending on the drive train).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The problem with run flats is they can't be repaired. If I'm going to get a nail in my tire, I'd rather pay for a flat repair than an entirely new tire (or up to 4, depending on the drive train).
You can plug a run flat tires , they are only reinforce on the sidewall to hold vehicle weight during driving with a flat or blowout.
Conventional tire once you get a blowout or flat and drive just a little that tire needs replacing plus damage it would produce in the wheel well driving it flat and tire breaking apart

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You can plug a run flat tires , they are only reinforce on the sidewall to hold vehicle weight during driving with a flat or blowout.
Conventional tire once you get a blowout or flat and drive just a little that tire needs replacing plus damage it would produce in the wheel well driving it flat and tire breaking apart
Never mind, I'm thinking self sealing ones. Never dealt with them when I worked in a shop, but I've heard from another mechanic that whatever they use to seal the punctures prevents them from being plugged/patched.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
A bit old news, but I just saw it on the net that Michelin and GM will bring airless tires by 2024. With this kind of innovation, no more flats and blowouts according to them. What do you think?

https://static.ideaconnection.com/images/inventions/michelin-airless-uptis-tire-14291.jpg

To me, the design looks cool though I still prefer standard tires like my current nexen tires.

looks interesting but not for me. too old to dress up my car with fancy tires. guess it means they will be very expensive. no flats means fewer sales so higher prices. that gotta keep their profits high :)

PackersOwner1

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
If a road is rough enough to flatten a pneumatic tire, that's exactly why I'd want a pneumatic tire--to absorb all that shock. Better an occasional flat tire than a bent frame, or worse, a bent unibody. I doubt that an airless tire would be able to come close to pneumatic for soaking up bumps, and still be able to corner well.