Sleeper phone of 2017, must read article!!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Respond to this post of you own a Axon 7 Mini if you will. I'm curious as to how many of you owners are out there. If you have one then it's 100 percent safe to say you indeed have the sleeper phone of the year 2017. Think about it when you pick your phone up next time. Check out the build quality. The high end all metal no plastic premium build. Then go to YouTube and take a listen to your favorite song or watch your favorite movie or something. The speakers are nothing short of amazing. Then go to your browser and check out the speed of the 617 processor in this phone. It's plenty fast and zippy. In fact I've not experienced any lag in my Axon 7 Mini at all. Then open your camera up and take a few photos. They are crisp. They are clear. The shutter is fast. It's 16 megapixels strong. Then take a look at the amoled display. Check out how punchy the and vibrant the colors are. The resolution is sharp, crisp and clear even though it being 1080p it's HAD Amoled. Have I left anything out on this phone. If I have please feel free to add to my post more features about this phone as I want to see what I've left out that is important in what makes a phone good and not average. So with that said we us owners of this phone the Axon 7 Mini get all of the above mentioned for only $199. Taking all of that into account there is no other phone on the market that comes close to what you get with a Axon 7 Mini for the money you spend. I mean what other phone on the current market gives you top notch features some being flagship level such as the build and speakers that you can easily compare price wise to the Axon 7 Mini? I buy and sell a ton of phones. I mean a lot. I know for a fact that why this phone has not simply flown off the shelves is merely the fact that it's actually priced so low that most mobile phone consumers have written this phone off to be cheap and on par with that of of other sub 200 dollar phones which if you think about it, if you have not picked up this phone and held it, listened to it, browsed through web with it and take pictures with it you'd automatically think that you get what you pay for. So in fact this phone has been widely written off by even the major phone article companies to be that of a cheap $199 phone. Well they are right about it being cheap but they have omitted the most important thing. User quality. There is simply not another phone for this price that gives you anything near what the Axon 7 Mini gives you. I mean it's become my daily driver. For me to say that means something because I do go through just that many phones. Will it become my back up phone to my newest phone I have coming? Well yes, but that phone will have a 820 processor and was once a $700 dollar phone upon it's initial release meaning it was a flagship phone in 2016. What I'm saying is that there is a reason all of us Axon 7 Mini owners still have this phone and still use it on it on a daily basis. You get an upper level mid ranger device for the price of a very low tiered phone in today's current market standards. Look at the regular Axon 7 for example. That phone is flagship in every since of the word but you only pay $399 for it. That's the price of a decent mid ranger in itself right there. My conclusion is that most consumers and even professional writers which by the way I can do much better than most of them have simply written the Axon 7 Mini off to being portayed to that of in which the price would lead one to believe it is. Which is cheap. That can be the only reason this phone never took off. In fact it's the only reason. You know most people think they can put a price on everything meaning if you spend cheaply then you in turn buy cheaply meaning you get a cheap product. I'll be honest. This phone would have sold better had ZTE left the price at $299 because right then and there people automatically would have placed this phone in another category being a step up above cheap. To the professional writers, what's wrong in today's market that a company can produce quality and the consumer actually get a good deal as opposed to the price being the very means to a product being worthy or not. Simply put Axon 7 Mini owners out there we got what you call a good deal. What a nice breath of fresh air in such a greed filled industry we are in. My hats off to ZTE for going against the grain and offering a high level quality product at a below market value price which equals nothing more than a what is called a good deal. So in ending this post the Axon 7 Mini is by far and away the sleeper phone of 2017. To those consumers and writers who stuck their nose up to the $199 price tag, well shame on you for not doing the least bit of homework and research when only to look at a phones worth by it's price tag. This is the society we live in today. Writers included. Just because a phone is selling for $199 does not always mean it's made of cheap plastic and poor quality build. Sadly though majority of consumers and professional writers have simply done that here and wow did they get it entirely all wrong. This is the best and well made phone that $199 can buy and to those those that think just because it's $199 it's worthless, there is not a piece of plastic on this phone. The speakers are the best you can get in the idustfy. The processor is that of a mid range phone which that's what the Axon 7 Mini is. The 1080p amoked display cones both on mid range and flagship phones. There is just not any other way around the fact that majority of the market got it totally wrong on this phone. Pick this phone up and use it for a few weeks and then read my article again and tell me that price is everything and the quality of a product basically means nothing. I think by far and away this is the best mid range phone on the market for this price and that my friends is a absolute fact. Thank you for reading. Respond if I've missed anything or if you'd like to add anything here. I'm sure I've missed some things so definitely feel free to add your comments and thoughts to this post

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Premium build materials do not equal build quality. If I was offered a steel engine from Audi and a Titanium engine from Isuzu, I'll gladly take the one from Audi.

Given the new wifi exploit, I am not sure I would get an Axon right now, as I don't know how well they update devices.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Premium build materials do not equal build quality. If I was offered a steel engine from Audi and a Titanium engine from Isuzu, I'll gladly take the one from Audi.

Given the new wifi exploit, I am not sure I would get an Axon right now, as I don't know how well they update devices.
The axon 7 mini is a awesome device for under $200 dollars. There's just no way around it. I've been using it as my daily for a while now and it's already updated to nougat 7.1.1 so I would imagine it'll get Oreo too at some point. The premium build and the speakers alone are worth $200 bucks. The processor although not the best is plenty good enough. I've not seen any lag. The camera is pretty good too at 16 megapixels and then you have the fingerprint sensor. Then the amoled 1080p display is punchy and vibrant. It's an excellent phone for the price. Nothing on the current market even comes close to this phone at $194 on Amazon.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I will reiterate: premium materials do not equal premium build quality.
Explain that then. How honestly if you are saying this that you think the Axon 7 Mini is not a premium built hardware wise phone? For the money there is not a better built solid performing phone that compares to the axon 7 mini at only $194 on Amazon. Identical build as the regular axon 7. Identical Dolby Atmos surround sound speakers used. Sure the processor is mid range but the phone is only $194. The screen is amoled with punch vibrant colors. The fingerprint sensor is good. The processor while not the best isn't bad at all and I speak from experience as I have been using this axon 7 mini as my daily driver for a couple months now but as of Saturday the honor 8 will take it's place. Overall how can you say the axon 7 mini is not one of the best phones in 2017 in terms of value and price point for what all that you get. It's nearly identical to the regular axon 7 except for the different processor which I've found to be pretty good in fact. Sure it's not an 820 like the axon 7 but hardware wise it's as every bit as premium as it's bigger brother is. There is no plastic on this phone. In fact I just watched a movie tonight on my axon 7 mini and didn't even feel the need to connect it to my external Bluetooth JBL speaker because the speakers on this phone are probably one of the very best you can get compared to pretty much any other phone. Then the all metal body build that is very premium. Unless you are looking strictly at the 617 processor to evaluate this phone there is nothing cheap about it but yet you can still buy it new for just under $200 bucks. I think the phone is very much one of the best sleeper phone of 2017. I've enjoyed using it. I'm not sure why you think it's not a worthy phone when in fact it's built much more like that of a $400 dollar phone easily.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Explain that then.
I already made a comparison in post 2 .

How honestly if you are saying this that you think the Axon 7 Mini is not a premium built hardware wise phone?
I am not saying that it isn't. I am just saying that because they use
The high end all metal no plastic premium build.
does not give them a pass as a premium build.

Look at the Essential Phone. Technically, that is more premium than the Axon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The s617 is a pretty good processor if done right. I had the zte Zmax pro which I paid $40 for over a year ago and that had great performance, near flagship, and I was getting 10 hours SOT. 1080p display was good, not good 8 levels but again... I only paid $40 for it. Plastic build but still felt good, albeit not as nice as premium materials and had 2.5d glass.

Of course I realize you are talking about 2017 and the Zmax pro was a 2016 phone but imo, I would take the Zmax pro over the axon 7 based on the price I paid for it.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The s617 is a pretty good processor if done right. I had the zte Zmax pro which I paid $40 for over a year ago and that had great performance, near flagship, and I was getting 10 hours SOT. 1080p display was good, not good 8 levels but again... I only paid $40 for it. Plastic build but still felt good, albeit not as nice as premium materials and had 2.5d glass.

Of course I realize you are talking about 2017 and the Zmax pro was a 2016 phone but imo, I would take the Zmax pro over the axon 7 based on the price I paid for it.
Yeah no doubt bc at $40 bucks that's a steal right there. Wow how did you get it so low?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah no doubt bc at $40 bucks that's a steal right there. Wow how did you get it so low?
There was a deal last year from metropcs. You had to port in a line and sign up for one month service for $30. After the month you an port back to original carrier,so you didn't lose that $30 since you would have to pay for service on your original carrier anyway

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
There was a deal last year from metropcs. You had to port in a line and sign up for one month service for $30. After the month you an port back to original carrier,so you didn't lose that $30 since you would have to pay for service on your original carrier anyway
Oh I gotcha. That's a pretty sweet deal you got then. You can't beat that at all. Not for a quality ZTE phone.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Does it have wireless charging?
Does what have wireless charging? If you refer to the Axon 7 and Axon 7 mini, niether of them have wireless charging. They are constructed of full metal bodies and therefore niether is capable of that. I assume this is what you were asking. My post was to simply state that the axon 7 mini was ignored by the majority I believe bc it was so cheaply priced therefore they wrote the phone off to be cheaply made to relate to it's cheap pricing when it's just the opposite actually. The axon 7 mini is flagship build quality. The speakers the best of any other smart phone. It has a fast accurate fingerprint sensor. The only drawback if there is one to the axon 7 mini would be it's average processor but that said the phone is extremely optimized to perform very well with even an average processor. I've not experienced any type of lag and the speakers by far live up to the hype on both phones. They both are identical other than processor and screen size but I prefer a 5.2 inch screen as my daily driver to a 5.5 inch screen which is pretty large to handle in one hand or to put in your pocket. I just think if the professional writers actually had spent some time with the mini their articles would have elevated sales for this phone but since most wrote it off it's definitely become a sleeper phone as it's by far the best made phone in terms of it's $199 price point. I use an honor 8 now as my daily driver and now my axon is a back up but I was still very happy with it while I used it on a daily basis. There was nothing lacking in the phone. Overall it's the very best in class for a 199 price tag. Extremely well build with premium flagship materials used.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I had the Axon 7 in late 2016 and loved almost everything about it. It's weak spot was the software, especially the built in apps like email, sms, calendar, etc. I was able to replace most of them with either Google apps or 3rd party apps but I felt like ZTE should have done a better job with their apps.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I had the Axon 7 in late 2016 and loved almost everything about it. It's weak spot was the software, especially the built in apps like email, sms, calendar, etc. I was able to replace most of them with either Google apps or 3rd party apps but I felt like ZTE should have done a better job with their apps.
Oh really? I had been actually thinking about getting the regular 5.5 inch axon 7. Is it still a good buy do you think? The axon 7 mini has been Rock solid from day 1. No issues what so ever and at $194 which is what I paid I can't think of any other phone that can rival it's premium build and speakers at the same price. For just under $200 bucks most of those phone are going to be plastic and corners will be cut big time. The axon 7 mini really for the price has zero cut corners. Maybe they should have used a 625 processor but I've found the 617 to be plenty enough juice to push the phone. It seems to be optimized very well. It's just a lot of phone premium wise for being only $194.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Does what have wireless charging? If you refer to the Axon 7 and Axon 7 mini

Yeah. Wireless charging is at the top of my list when looking at a phone. It can have great software, processor, screen and everything else, but if it lacks wireless charging, it's a no-go in my book. I can't call any phone the "sleeper phone of 2017" if it lacks a basic feature, such as wireless charging.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Oh really? I had been actually thinking about getting the regular 5.5 inch axon 7. Is it still a good buy do you think? The axon 7 mini has been Rock solid from day 1. No issues what so ever and at $194 which is what I paid I can't think of any other phone that can rival it's premium build and speakers at the same price. For just under $200 bucks most of those phone are going to be plastic and corners will be cut big time. The axon 7 mini really for the price has zero cut corners. Maybe they should have used a 625 processor but I've found the 617 to be plenty enough juice to push the phone. It seems to be optimized very well. It's just a lot of phone premium wise for being only $194.
If you can get the 7 for somewhere around 200 it would be a good deal. I really liked mine but just bought it to use for a few months.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
If you can get the 7 for somewhere around 200 it would be a good deal. I really liked mine but just bought it to use for a few months.
Did you end up getting rid of it. I'm looking for a long term media phone to use in rotation so will the axon 7 be good for that?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've found a few on swappa but they are all over $200 dollars. What would be the highest amount I should pay for a used axon 7? I've offered $205 on a couple from swappa and one on Amazon. I'd really like to buy this phone but I definitely don't want to over pay. Is $200 about the going current market value on a used axon 7 or is that price considered to be a below market value good deal? Thanks for any advice.