Stock Email Program

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the stock email program is quite spartan. It does the job, but I don't see any setting or way to "leave a copy on the server" like other phones.I tried K9 Mail, but it was problematic. After some of you guys get your phones, if you find a setting I missed or know of a better email program please advise. My email is Comcast (Pop3), but it auto-detected settings and set it up as IMAP.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded and installed it. It's a good app, but if I check my mail with the app and delete the emails from my phone, they will be off the server and I will not be able to retrieve them on my computer when I get home. I get over 200 emails a day (many newsletters, forums etc.) and it becomes confusing. The Comcast app, just like checking your email at work on the Comcast website, will delete them from the server once you delete the message. On my Galaxy S7 for example, the stock email program had the option to leave a 'copy on the server". That way I could clear my phone of emails throughout the day by deleting them, but I could still download them all to my computer using Microsoft Outlook once I got home. I guess it's not a huge deal. I'll just have to find an app that lets me do what the stock email programs on Samsung, LG and HTC devices let me do.

89kraus

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Boxer email for several years now (ever since it became the default email app for Cyanogen OS). While I use it primarily with my office exchange email, I think it is free for use with POP3 or IMAP accounts.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Boxer email for several years now (ever since it became the default email app for Cyanogen OS). While I use it primarily with my office exchange email, I think it is free for use with POP3 or IMAP accounts.

Thanks. I guess everyone is moving away from Pop3 to IMAP which means if you delete the mail from your phone, it's gone. I'll see what Boxer has to offer.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
What issues did you have with K9? That's what I use for 2 gmails and an aol account. And you can remove from device but not server with it

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
What issues did you have with K9? That's what I use for 2 gmails and an aol account. And you can remove from device but not server with it

It was actually ok. For some reason, it wouldn't let me set up as Pop3, only IMAP. Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything in settings to "not delete messages from the server". I think this option is only visible when you set up your email as Pop3. I will get with Comcast to re-verify the Pop3 settings and maybe I'll try K9 again.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have my aol set up as imap, once you get it setup then long press on your mail account, go to account settings, fetching mail, then there is a option for "when I delete a message" you can remove from server, keep, or marked as read on server.

If you need help let me know I may have confused you more.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I have my aol set up as imap, once you get it setup then long press on your mail account, go to account settings, fetching mail, then there is a option for "when I delete a message" you can remove from server, keep, or marked as read on server.

If you need help let me know I may have confused you more.

Bosgarage57, I gave it another try and got it set up. A couple of quirks, though. At first, it said syncing was disabled and the only way to get it to sync was to uninstall and reinstall with wi-fi disabled. Now it will sync and I was able to turn wi-fi back on and it will send and receive. It does now leave a copy on the server as you stated. One thing I was curious about: If I go into settings on the Axon 7 and go to "accounts", K9 Mail isn't listed at all. Is that the way it's supposed to be? If you set up an account using Gmail or the stock email app, it will list it as an account, but not when you use K9. Otherwise, working ok so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara