Rooted, um, now what?

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi, long time listener, first time rooter.

I am still trying to figure out how I will be using my NC differently than I am already using my Droid Incredible. Considering that the only way I can get data flowing is with wifi, it makes the experience with my apps a lot different.

So some questions:

1. How do you use your NC differently than your phone?
2. What are the best apps and widgets you have to accomplish this?
3. Currently running CM 7.1.0 RC1-encore, are there better stable roms out there?

Thanks

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I use my nook as a regular tablet. Cm7.1 rc1 rocks. I use adw launcher and the wifi works flawlessly. With dalengrins overclock rom 06/18, this thing leaves all the phones out there in the dust. A 7" IPS screen with cm7, bluetooth for my keyboard, and usb host support for my flash drives and camera downloads, plus a platform that runs many of the tegra class games. What else could you want from a $250.00 E-reader??

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
There is also teathering available thru nook tweeks to allow you to teather your phone to the nook for data. As for uses, I offer the following screenshots:

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Im 50 years old and I have real trouble seeing the fonts on my phone and using the keyboard is a pain in the butt.
I now use the NC instead of my laptop for email, facebook, shopping,forums, and while travelling in the car so my wife and daughter can watch movies from the SD card.

It lacks GPS but the phone works fine for that. No camera, but I am spoiled with my Canon 50D with some L glass. I guess I will have to forgo the video conferences and the Skype.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I use my nook as a regular tablet. Cm7.1 rc1 rocks. I use adw launcher and the wifi works flawlessly. With dalengrins overclock rom 06/18, this thing leaves all the phones out there in the dust. A 7" IPS screen with cm7, bluetooth for my keyboard, and usb host support for my flash drives and camera downloads, plus a platform that runs many of the tegra class games. What else could you want from a $250.00 E-reader??

Wait, so you're using CM7 and dalengrins overclock rom 06/18? How are you using two roms? (noob question, sorry)

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
running the new miui rom and absolutely love it. looks super clean. great battery life. i have several phones all running something different: lg optimus s (cm7), samsung transform (sdx transform rom), nexus s 4g (stock), htc evo 3d (stock), htc arrive (stock)
so i needed something new and better looking than cm7. i loved the cm7 mod but after miui came out it's hard to put down. i play all my game on the nook bc of the screen size over wifi tether or regular wifi in my house.

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of gaming machines, have any of you tried out Gun Bros? This game seems to have been designed for the tegra chip but the nook running cm7.1 with dal's OC rom running 1300 mHz runs the game well. I have found several tegra zone games that run well on the nook as well. Seems out little tablet has some real guts under that pretty exterior.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for the input, hopefully this is helpful for other folks new to their Nooks.

I realize that any of the following could really branch out into completely separate posts so if anyone wants to make new ones in the forum, feel free.

Dalingrin has a rom (check rom manager) and a separate kernel ( [Kernel][Stock1.2][CM7] Dalingrin's OC kernel [6/30/11] - xda-developers ), the rom is based on CM7 so is this like a all-in-one win or best to run CM7 and then install the kernel?

I have issues with MIUI and how they not only look like a iOS but they lock down their apps on the home screens. I know you can just install a new launcher but I dislike them out of principle now. I realize I may be in the minority here but I also boycott places like Shell for not having diesel once when I needed it 12 years ago.

One complaint out of the whole experience itself, how rotating to landscape totally throws of the positions of all my widgets and the layout I set up in portrait mode. I'm assuming that the dimensions of the screen make this an uncontrollable factor that I will just have to learn to accept unless someone can offer guidance here too.

OK, lastly, I have found myself using this for checking emails, getting caught up with my Pulse reader, YouTube and Netflix, and maybe checking some questionable Tumblr sites when no one is looking. Hoping this thread stays alive or someone creates a sticky for showing off our screens as that is always helpful in showing new ways to use the device.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34