Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
UPDATED 1/14/11
New 1.4.1 zip for new touchscreen nooks
fixed typo
added instruction to run Winimage as Admin
Credits
UPDATED 1/3/11
This will fix issues with newer nooks having zero storage on restore.
Changes are bold.

What these steps will do:

This will remove anything that you currently have on your system, including CWM. It returns your nook back to a stock 1.4.1 1.3 1.0.1 unit and ready for registering.

1. Shut down NC
2. Remove SD card from NC and insert it in your card reader on the computer
3. Download the bootable Clockwork Recovery image here (3.2.0.1)
3. Download Bootable Clockwork SD image here: [RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers
4. Use WinImage to install the image to your SDcard (Download WinImage here: Download WinImage)

To install the .img file to your SDCard using WinImage please follow these steps:

1. Download WinImage from the link above, and install it on your machine.
2. Open WinImage AS ADMIN
3. Insert your SDCard into the card reader
4. Select "Restore virtual hard disk image" from the "Disk" menu
5. Select your SDCard
6. Select the Image that you downloaded from the above link
7. Add the Zip file to the computer as well
8. Once complete insert the SDCard into your NC
9. Reboot NC

Download and save the NC 1.4.1 stock image from here or Mirror
5. Download and save the NC 1.3 stock image from here
5. Also download and save the NC 1.0.1 complete from here: [RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers
6. Copy the zip file to your SD card as well
7. Insert SD into the NC
8. Turn on NC

It will now boot into the CWM, and you need to format both the system and data on it before your flash. THIS IS IMPERATIVE!

To perform the formats follow these steps:

1. select "mounts and storage"
2. select "format system"
3. Confirm format
4. select "format data"
5. Confirm format
6. Continue with steps below

Once you have formatted the system and the data under the "mounts and storage" section of CWM continue with:

9. Select "install zip from SD card"
10. Select "choose zip from SD card"
11. Select the nook 1.4.1 file
11. Confirm install and wait for it to continue

This takes about 5 minutes in total. When completed you will have a 1.4.11.3 1.0.1 stock nook like you bought it from the store. THIS WILL REMOVE CWM as well!

To move in the CWM program you use your Volume +\- keys and the "n" button to confirm. To go back use the Power button.

DISCLAIMER : You are following these steps at your own risk, and I am not responsible if your nook color explodes and bricks, or turns into a transformer and kills your family and takes over the world.

This guide was edited and revised from this guide from XDA
Credit to Patruns for his 1.3 and clockwork download links
Credit to Dizzy for his 1.4.1 restore zip

Last edited:

catalanocc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] : Restore Nook Color back to stock EASILY!

Hello Koopakid08 !

will this procedure work for unrooted Nooks?
I'm having the booting issue and my nook is supposed to be at 1.3.0 version

please let me know!

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the detailed guide. Seems easy enough. Quick question: I'm currently running rooted stock 1.1.0 from my SD card and I want to upgrade to CM7. Do I need to follow your guide then upgrade to stock 1.3 before I flash CM7 or can I just flash CM7 and GAPPS from my current setup?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed guide. Seems easy enough. Quick question: I'm currently running rooted stock 1.1.0 from my SD card and I want to upgrade to CM7. Do I need to follow your guide then upgrade to stock 1.3 before I flash CM7 or can I just flash CM7 and GAPPS from my current setup?

You can just go ahead and flash without problem.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pre-dawn raid

tonedef71

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Here is a link to the complete Barnes & Noble Nook Color v1.3 stock firmware.

The manifest and updater-script contained within have been updated to work with CWM Recovery.

Please add the above link as an update to the original post.

Thanks.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

The manifest and updater-script contained within have been updated to work with CWM Recovery.

Thanks.

Could I run this from the SD Card?

My NC is rooted running CM 7 (not on an sd card)

tonedef71

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Could I run this from the SD Card?

My NC is rooted running CM 7 (not on an sd card)

It can be used to restore a broken stock or rooted Nook back to the original stock firmware v1.3 by copying the .ZIP to a bootable CWM Recovery SD card and following the instructions above to reformat the system and data partitions on the Nook Color followed by an "Install zip from SD" --> "Choose zip from SD".

It sounds like you would like to install the contents of the NC_Stock_v1.3 zip to a bootable SD card so that you can run stock Nook Color OS from the SD card. Even if you have CWM Recovery installed on your rooted Nook Color, it would require that your bootable SD card has partitions that are correctly-sized and formatted appropriately, and CWM Recovery would need to write to the SD card instead of the internal Nook Color's flash memory.

Check out this link (if you haven't already): <http://mrm3.net/nook-colorstock-os-on-sd-card/>. The blog claims to have a link to the image for an appropriately set-up SD card, and it also lists the procedure to follow -- you could then use the NC_Stock_v1.3 zip that I provided the link to.

I've never myself attempted to follow the procedure described on that blog -- if you do try it, please post to here the results of your experience, for the benefit of future visitors to this thread.

Reactions: tube517

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

It can be used to restore a broken stock or rooted Nook back to the original stock firmware v1.3 by copying the .ZIP to a bootable CWM Recovery SD card and following the instructions above to reformat the system and data partitions on the Nook Color followed by an "Install zip from SD" --> "Choose zip from SD".

It sounds like you would like to install the contents of the NC_Stock_v1.3 zip to a bootable SD card so that you can run stock Nook Color OS from the SD card. Even if you have CWM Recovery installed on your rooted Nook Color, it would require that your bootable SD card has partitions that are correctly-sized and formatted appropriately, and CWM Recovery would need to write to the SD card instead of the internal Nook Color's flash memory.

Check out this link (if you haven't already): <http://mrm3.net/nook-colorstock-os-on-sd-card/>. The blog claims to have a link to the image for an appropriately set-up SD card, and it also lists the procedure to follow -- you could then use the NC_Stock_v1.3 zip that I provided the link to.

I've never myself attempted to follow the procedure described on that blog -- if you do try it, please post to here the results of your experience, for the benefit of future visitors to this thread.

This is exactly the explanation and information I was looking for. I've seen other directions and explanations and they were confusing. Thank you very much!

tonedef71

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly the explanation and information I was looking for. I've seen other directions and explanations and they were confusing. Thank you very much!

I took another look at that blog page, and I now get the impression that the SD image linked there already contains the Barnes & Noble Color stock OS, but I'm not sure which version it is. If you want to run the Barnes & Noble Color stock OS v1.3 from an SD card, the creator of that SD image may need to create a new SD image that has already been flashed with the latest stock OS (as contained within the ZIP file that I posted a link to). If you find out who the creator of that SD image is and then ask him/her nicely, maybe he/she will create an updated SD image for you. Hey, it's worth a shot, right?

Reactions: tube517

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

Dude....where were you 2 weeks ago? I really could have used that...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tonedef71

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Dude....where were you 2 weeks ago? I really could have used that...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LOL.

Yeah, I really could have used it a few weeks ago, myself. Then I recently fouled up the rooted OS running on my Nook Color (yet AGAIN) and decided this time that I would try to finally figure out how to create a version of the 1.3 Nook Color update that would work with the CWM Recovery tool. I figure the time I invested will save me time later if I screw up the internal installation on my Nook Color yet again.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

When installing your 1.3 version does it also remove clockwork from the internal memory?

I don't have the time to test it right now so can anyone confirm this?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Sadly, looks like I will actually have to do this as my NC will no longer hold a SD card. I have to physically hold it in the slot to use it. So, I'll have to restore it to exchange for another with B&N.

Koopakid, is there some reason that you did not recommend CWR 3.2.0.1 or is it just because the older link was written before it was released? I've saved my original bootable card so I would just like to add the 1.01 or 1.3 .zip to the same card rather than go through the trouble of creating another.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, looks like I will actually have to do this as my NC will no longer hold a SD card. I have to physically hold it in the slot to use it. So, I'll have to restore it to exchange for another with B&N.

Koopakid, is there some reason that you did not recommend CWR 3.2.0.1 or is it just because the older link was written before it was released? I've saved my original bootable card so I would just like to add the 1.01 or 1.3 .zip to the same card rather than go through the trouble of creating another.

I just recommended using the older version as that was the one I tested but I'm sure all newer versions will work fine

tonedef71

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

When installing your 1.3 version does it also remove clockwork from the internal memory?

I don't have the time to test it right now so can anyone confirm this?

Installing the 1.3 version may be responsible for removing CWM from the internal memory, although it may be the step of re-formatting the system partition that is responsible for removing CWM from the internal memory -- I'm not sure. Can anyone else confirm this?

Re-installing CWM back onto the internal memory should not be too much of a hassle -- the Clockwork Mod app may be used to do that for you after you've reinstalled it on a rooted Nook.

However, I actually prefer running CWM recovery from a bootable SD card. My bootable CWM recovery SD card contains all of the ZIP files that I most frequently flash to the Nook Color.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Installing the 1.3 version may be responsible for removing CWM from the internal memory, although it may be the step of re-formatting the system partition that is responsible for removing CWM from the internal memory -- I'm not sure. Can anyone else confirm this?

Re-installing CWM back onto the internal memory should not be too much of a hassle -- the Clockwork Mod app may be used to do that for you after you've reinstalled it on a rooted Nook.

However, I actually prefer running CWM recovery from a bootable SD card. My bootable CWM recovery SD card contains all of the ZIP files that I most frequently flash to the Nook Color.

So it does remove clockwork. I was making sure as most people who use this guide are probably restoring to return to BN and if they find clockwork on there it won't be pretty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc