[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

calypsocowboy

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

I don't know if it's just me or what, but for what ever reason I can't have both 7.1 Stable Mod and the Gapps on the SD card from the the start. I've tried two or three times with both and each time it looks like it loads fine, I go to reboot and I'm stuck on the "Touch the Future of Reading Screen".

Booting just 7.1 Stable mod is fine. Now I'm working on installing Gapps. For what ever reason trying to reboot into recovery mode isn't working via the power button, reboot, recovery option.

Update: I was able to get Gapps working by getting into recovery mode manually. Power down - Hold N and Power buttons down, once the Touch the Future of Reading" screen comes on and off, release the power button and press again for about 5 seconds, the "Touch the Future of Reading" should come on for about three seconds. Release the power button and when the screen goes off release the N button.

-Josh

Last edited:

CV42

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I hope someone can help me out. I followed your instructions exactly (thanks btw!) using the most recent stable release of CM7. When I inserted the card into the nook color and started it up, I got the linux penguin logo and the scrolling screen of text, but then it turned itself off, and upon restarting it I booted up the original nook software. When looking at the data on the card, it looks like the nook rewrote the card, adding some B&N folders, removing the CM7 stuff. I'm not sure what the problem is, though I guess it may be because I do have the most recent software update from B&N on my nook. What is causing the problem? This is my first time using something other than stock, so thanks for the help, and sorry if this has already been answered.

tuathalcj

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I hope someone can help me out. I followed your instructions exactly (thanks btw!) using the most recent stable release of CM7. When I inserted the card into the nook color and started it up, I got the linux penguin logo and the scrolling screen of text, but then it turned itself off, and upon restarting it I booted up the original nook software. When looking at the data on the card, it looks like the nook rewrote the card, adding some B&N folders, removing the CM7 stuff. I'm not sure what the problem is, though I guess it may be because I do have the most recent software update from B&N on my nook. What is causing the problem? This is my first time using something other than stock, so thanks for the help, and sorry if this has already been answered.

I have a Nook that I picked up on Sunday - I'm having the exact same issue as you are...
It shutdowns every time - I just stuck in the SDCard on my machine to check it out and sure enough the B&N stuff is there, but the CM7 zip file is gone...

Anyone else been able to successfully do this with the BNRV200 (Model), and Software Version 1.2.0??

Thanks!

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. I ran an earlier RC (release candidate) for 7.1 without problems. Now it seems to only boot to the Nook software.

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. I ran an earlier RC (release candidate) for 7.1 without problems. Now it seems to only boot to the Nook software.

As an experiment, I reformatted the SD and went back to the 7.1 RC installation. It worked fine.

Not sure how to get to 7.1 now. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the procedure correctly.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
And all of you are sure you are running windiskimager as administrators? If you are, here are a couple things you can try:

1. Try reformatting the SD Card in the nook, rewrite the image and start anew
2. If that doesn't work, download a program called "SD Formatter" (Ill post a link larlter if you can't find it) rewrite the image, and start over
3. If neither if those ways work, try using the above methods but write the image with WinImage. Search YouTube or the Internet for how to write an image to an SD Card.

Report back here with your discoveries.

Sent from my IHO CM7.1'd Optimus V using Tapatalk

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

And all of you are sure you are running windiskimager as administrators? If you are, here are a couple things you can try:

1. Try reformatting the SD Card in the nook, rewrite the image and start anew
2. If that doesn't work, download a program called "SD Formatter" (Ill post a link larlter if you can't find it) rewrite the image, and start over
3. If neither if those ways work, try using the above methods but write the image with WinImage. Search YouTube or the Internet for how to write an image to an SD Card.

Report back here with your discoveries.

Some discoveries:

I am sure I'm running Win32diskimager as administrator

I did start anew (several times) with no success.

Again, could get 7.1 RC working. Using the same procedure, 7.1 did not work.

I found this procedure on the Nook boards and it did work:

New CyanogenMod Stable Release: CM7.1 - Page 3 - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

see reply 44

I now am running 7.1 from the SD.

Reactions: Broncho

dixieman0105

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I had to use WinImage, but I got everything mounted and copied. I insert the card and turn it on, and I get this:

removing gapps install file
flushing caches
clearing recovery flag
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
All steps complete, flushing caches again
Preparing to Shutdown

Then it shuts down and powers off. Putting the gapps installer back on the card starts the process over again, but it never makes it past what I typed in above.

I've done it twice, using an RC version of CM7 and a Stable. Same both times.

I'm using an 8gb Sandisk class 4 card.

Any ideas on the problem?

I've seen other people that do this, and they install CM7 first, without Google Apps. After install they add Apps to the SD card. Would that make a difference here?

Thanks.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I had to use WinImage, but I got everything mounted and copied. I insert the card and turn it on, and I get this:

removing gapps install file
flushing caches
clearing recovery flag
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
All steps complete, flushing caches again
Preparing to Shutdown

Then it shuts down and powers off. Putting the gapps installer back on the card starts the process over again, but it never makes it past what I typed in above.

I've done it twice, using an RC version of CM7 and a Stable. Same both times.

I'm using an 8gb Sandisk class 4 card.

Any ideas on the problem?

I've seen other people that do this, and they install CM7 first, without Google Apps. After install they add Apps to the SD card. Would that make a difference here?

Thanks.

Never hurts to try!

Sent from my CM7'd NookColor using Tapatalk

dixieman0105

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Ok, so I loaded just CM7, and it installed no problems.

Then I used the instructions found here: [ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers

to load Google Apps. I put the current CM7 gapps file on the card, inserted into the NC, and booted to Android. Then I booted into Recovery using the Power off button described in those instructions. I got the Penguin again, and the same error message about the gapps file. And now it's stuck in some loop about booting Android, and I have to re-do it.

Any idea why I'm getting that error for the gapps file?

Thanks.

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site

I've been trying the last couple of days to get this to work on a Nook Color that was bought in June and had been updated to 1.3 stock with no luck using the directions in the first post. I tried the size agnostic directions from XDA and got even worse results (I never could get an image burned with WinImage which would actually load). Looking at the post over at the B&N forums I eventually tried the directions in the first post here but left out the gapps the first time around. Did that, and was able to boot into CyanogenMod no problems. Pulled the card and put the gapps in the root folder and rebooted into recovery and was able to get the gapps installed that way. So far so good. There seems to be something with the newer stock image and trying to install 7.1 and gapps at the same time. Doing it piece meal seems to be the better way to go right now, at least for me.

Captain Kana

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Piece meal does work. Put the gapps on the boot folder. I was having the same issues with my wifes nook trying to move from 7.0.3 to 7.1.0.

Thanks
Dan C.

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

Piece meal does work. Put the gapps on the boot folder. I was having the same issues with my wifes nook trying to move from 7.0.3 to 7.1.0.

Thanks
Dan C.

This should be noted in the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of this thread. Hopefully KCLS will make the addition.

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

+1 for noting the piecemeal procedure. It took me two days of searching forums and trying everything I knew to finally get this working. This is the only place I have found where it specifically states that piecemeal works. Other instructions do say to install them separately but don't indicate that there might be a problem installing them together. Thank you!!!!

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
What are you guys referring to when you say "The piecemeal procedure"? Ill, add it, just give me a link here.

lilone21804

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Is there a way to dual boot this so that you have the option on selecting which OS to choose from the beginning?

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

What are you guys referring to when you say "The piecemeal procedure"? Ill, add it, just give me a link here.

Piecemeal = install gapps **after** installing CM7.1, making it a 2 step process. For some, installing gapps with CM7.1 doesn't work.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Piecemeal = install gapps **after** installing CM7.1, making it a 2 step process. For some, installing gapps with CM7.1 doesn't work.

Ok, I'll add it when I get home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze