[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

Yup, that would be under Settings>> CyanogenMod Settings>> Tablet Tweaks>> Uncheck "Disable Lockscreen"

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Yup, that would be under Settings>> CyanogenMod Settings>> Tablet Tweaks>> Uncheck "Disable Lockscreen"

That did it for the lock screen

and i restored apps my apps deleting the HC apps and so far so good

didn't think about the system apps causing a problems, still learning the rooting aspects, been running HC since i got my NC.

Real test to why i stayed with HC will come tomorrow at my office and it's PEP wifi

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

If you've been on honeycomb, you will certainly appreciate CM7. From what I've heard, people coming from Honeycomb are blown away at the speed of Gingerbread. Which build of CM7 are you on? I'm eager to try out a version that has Dalingrin's overclock kernel built in, but since it's a family tab for me, have to wait until a stable or RC is released.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

i'm using update-cm-7.1.0-RC1 on the SD, if i like it i'm going to go back to stock on the emmc and upgrade to 1.2 and put on a dual boot script so i can have flash.

It took me a bit to finally change over to using launcher pro. I do like the way the soft buttons are with CM7, that's one of the reasons i went to HC, they kept being in my way. I'll give it a week and see. If i like it i'll bring touchdown over to it.

biggest issued i had back in April when i started this were the soft keys, the crap tastic calendar, and biggest issues was connecting to the wifi at my office (HC worked CM7 didn't)

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

and i screwed it up changing the screen density in build.prop. lol forgot to backup the apps first lol

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure what exactly i'm doing wrong, but I am repeatedly getting an error from Win32 Disk Imager stating that there is not enough disk space to write the image. 8gb toshiba class 4 card. It;s driving me nuts.

Does it have something to do with the formatting the card previously had?

Edit: I tried a 2gb card to begin with. I switched to an 8gb card, but somehow my laptop partitioned the 8gb card down to 2????????????? So now I have an SD card that before was a removable disc, and now that my laptop sees it as removable, I can;t correct the partition. This has been a total fail.....
I guess I will find a way around it.

Last edited:

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I got the disc partioned back out to 7.4 gb. Windisk Imager still says that the card is too small. how big is this img file?

Thank Kyle

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

last time that happened to me i changed cards and it worked. i also lost connections to it when i plugged it into my pc.

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

having that issue also. any idea what size the card actually has to be to host the image? It says my 2gb's are too small also

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I have only been using an 8 gb class 4 sd card. It should work with anything larger then 1gb though. I downloaded a program simply called "SDFormatter" and do a full erase, and wiped my SD Card using that when it didn't work for me once. Worked like a charm after that.

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site

having that issue also. any idea what size the card actually has to be to host the image? It says my 2gb's are too small also

The minimum size card supported is 600mb.

If your having problems with the format of your SD card, try re-formating it using the stock nook OS, then try burning the image again.

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

im not certain that its anything to do with the format. windisk throws an error stating that there isn't enough disk space each time I try to load the image. it does this with two 2 gb PnY cards and my toshiba 8 gb. I just picked up a 16 gb card to try

baab

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

THIS GUIDE IS FOR WINDOWS XP, THOUGH IT WILL ALSO WORK ON VISTA AND 7. SEE KOOPAKID'S GUIDE HERE FOR MAC/LINUX INSTRUCTIONS.

BEFORE STARTING, READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE! NOT HALF, NOT TWO THIRDS, THE WHOLE GUIDE!

About:
This write up is adopted from koopakid08's writeup which was adopted from a writeup by verygreen from the XDA Forums. All original credit goes to verygreen, and to koopakid08.

SD Card Info:
First, your SD Card. First rule of thumb: DON'T BUY A CLASS 10 SD CARD! I had used one before I got my new one, and got all sorts of FC's (Force Closes), and market downloads would go agonizingly slow. Like a 400kb app would take 30+ minutes to download on a super speedy WiFi connection. I switched over to a Sandisk branded class 4 8gb SD Card that I got on sale for 12 bucks from Radio Shack and the speed difference is incredible. Here is the one I bought (Link).

Now, to install CM7 to your SD Card, there is NO NEED to root! Simply pop the SD Card in to run CM7, and if you want to return to stock, pop the SD Card back out, simple as that!

What you will need:
First, you will want to get everything you need for CM7. You will need:

1. The image. This is what you will be writing to the SD Card, so the Nook can recognize it to boot off of. You can download the image HERE.

2. Win32 Disk Imager. Some use WinImage, so you can use that if you know how, but DiskImager is much (Read: A lot) easier to use. You can find Win32 Disk Imager HERE. Download the one that says "Binary".

3. The version of CM7 you are going to use. There are 3 different types that you can download.
  • Stable. This is the one that has had all the bugs worked out, but when I used it was the slowest. I would not recommend using this version.
  • Release Candidate, or "RC". This is the version that I use. It has most of the bugs worked out, and is newer then the stable version, so it has more features, etc.
  • Nightly. This is the most cutting edge, and buggiest version. There is a new one every day, but they are not tested so I would not recommend using them. If you do prefer these however, use later then nightly 87.

Find the stable release HERE. Find the RC HERE. Find the Nightlies HERE.

4.The GApps. These are the google apps (I.E. Market, etc.) They can't be included in the ROM for various legal reasons. You can find them HERE. Scroll down all the way to the botttom and download the CM7 version.

Now to start!

1. Create a working folder somewhere on your computer to put all of your files on for easy access. Within that folder, make 2 more folders, one titled "Imager", and one titled "CM7".
2. Go to your downloads folder, and unzip your Imager to the filder you created titled "Imager". Unzip all contents of the Imager there.
3. Unzip the Image file into your folder titled "CM7"
4. Move your GApps Zip, your CM7 Zip to your folder titled "CM7". DO NOT Unzip either of these files.
5. Plug your SD Card into your computer somehow. You can use a built in port, or an adapter. When it is recognized by the computer, go to "My Computer" and note the drive. It will say something like "Removable Disk (E:)". the"(E:)" will be the drive.
6. Start Win32 Disk Imager. Click the button that has a little file on it and navigate into you "CM7" Folder and double click the image file.
7. Click your device. It will be the letter that you noted in step 5.
8. Click "Write", and wait.
9. When it is done, remove it from the computer, then reinsert it.
10. Drag your CM7 file and your GApps file onto the SD Card. There will be only one partition.
11. Turn off your Nook and insert the SD Card. Turn it back on.

If all goes well, you should see the little linux penguin and a bunch of scrolling text! When it is all done, you should be greeted by the CM7 Boot Screen, and then CM7 itself!

Whenever you turn on your nook, you should always lock it, and then unlock it. Otherwise you will have some screen lag. Also, if you are experiencing "Phantom Touches", download THIS APP.

No Market?
1. Turn off your nook and take the SD Card out.
2. Put the GApps file on the SD Card again. I believe it is the partition titled "BOOT".
3. Reinsert the SD Card, and turn on the Nook.
4. Once it is powered on, once again hold down the power button, but this time select "Reboot", then "Recovery". When it is finished, you should have the market.

I had to do this a couple of times before I got the market, so just keep trying if you don't get it the first time.

To Update:
If you are using nightlies, you will probably want to update relatively often.
1. Turn off your nook, and insert your SD Card into your computer.
2. Place your new CM7 File on the "Boot" partition of your SD Card, and reboot into recovery.

Your data should be preserved.

There may be other ways to do everything in this thread, but I can not vouch fo them, as I have not done them.

I hope I helped out!
Do you have instructions on how to create a dual boot menu on the SD Card after I download CM7? Thanks!

Reactions: gmac4040

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I downloaded winimager and loaded the img file. it stated that it had to resize to fit the format of the card? It loaded MLO uImage uRamdisk u-boot.

I dragged and dropped cm7 and gapps, shut down the nook, threw the card in. Nothing. NC booted to the stock rom.

Second try: I loaded everything fresh on a win 7 machine. Same result. WinImage says that the card format isn't compatible and that the image will "re" resized. The image loads to the card. Drag and drop the cm7 file and gapps file. shut down the nook. shove in the card, restart the nook.

It never seems to try to load from the SD card.

SW version 1.2.0 on the nook. I can't find a way to force boot from the SD.

I maybe think the SD Image file is the issue. anyone have another download source for it?

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

im not certain that its anything to do with the format. windisk throws an error stating that there isn't enough disk space each time I try to load the image. it does this with two 2 gb PnY cards and my toshiba 8 gb. I just picked up a 16 gb card to try

Any luck with the 16 gb? I'm not sure why everyone is having so much trouble with the image file suddenly. It isn't made by me, so maybe the person who made it made some updates to it.
I downloaded winimager and loaded the img file. it stated that it had to resize to fit the format of the card? It loaded MLO uImage uRamdisk u-boot.

I dragged and dropped cm7 and gapps, shut down the nook, threw the card in. Nothing. NC booted to the stock rom.

Second try: I loaded everything fresh on a win 7 machine. Same result. WinImage says that the card format isn't compatible and that the image will "re" resized. The image loads to the card. Drag and drop the cm7 file and gapps file. shut down the nook. shove in the card, restart the nook.

It never seems to try to load from the SD card.

SW version 1.2.0 on the nook. I can't find a way to force boot from the SD.

I maybe think the SD Image file is the issue. anyone have another download source for it?

Not sure of any other download links, but I just downloaded it myself and it was the same one I downloaded for mine. Like I said above, maybe it was updated, I'll check.
Do you have instructions on how to create a dual boot menu on the SD Card after I download CM7? Thanks!

Sorry, no, but if you swarch the Nook Color XDA Forums there is a thread on there about how to make one.

Reactions: gmac4040

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Can you copy and past stuff to the SD card via windows? Not just winimage, but a word doc from your hard drive, an MP3 file anything

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Can you copy and past stuff to the SD card via windows? Not just winimage, but a word doc from your hard drive, an MP3 file anything

Yup, just drag and drop.

sastimac

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

I followed the instructions and Android OS never appeared after I inserted the SD card. The Penguin and loads occurred, but the screen went blank afterwards. I now apply power and see ANDROID in the lower left of the screen followed by the Myanogen 7 loading screen. The loading screen runs for awhile, then restarts and never fully loads. I assume I don't have to do anything to bring up the normal Android home page.
SD: 16GB Class 10, Wintech
NookColor: v1.2.0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae