[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

dtlogg

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

Hi all, No one seems to be answering the question I asked. So here is the main question.

If I have Stock 1.2 on the NC, will I be able to put CM7 on a uSD card(Sandisk) for booting?
I asked the questions previously because it might require going into recovery to run the Gapps install. I saw in another post that going into recovery is different for Stock 1.2.

According to the method in this thread you can just start the NC and select recovery without a sequence of keys. Is this correct?

Any answers would be appreciated.

steve

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Yes, recovery on the nook is not the normal "ClockworkMod" recovery where you use the volume buttons to scroll through the options that you are used to. The recovery on the nook is an all-automatic thing that flashes anything that starts with "update-". When you write the image to the SD Card, and put CM7 on it and boot up the Nook, it will automatically flash it over. Then, when it first boots to CM7, if you hold down the power button, a "Boot Menu" will come up. One option in the menu is to "Reboot" and then "Recovery". When you select this and the GApps are on the "Boot" partition of the SD Card, they are automatically installed.

Reactions: dtlogg

dtlogg

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the answer. What this means to me is that if I have Stock 1.2 on a NC, I can still put CM7 on a SD card for booting along with the Gapps using the method in the begginning of this thread?

What is the difference in using the "size-agnostic SDCard CM7 installer" method and the method in this begginning of this thread? Any advantage of one over the other?

Size-agnostic method seems to use a spefiic file for certain sizes of SD card. I am assuming that the method in this thread does not need a specific size card.

Steve

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Just completed mine using the instructions on page 1 and it worked out well. My question is how do you sideload apk files (programs) on here? Do I put them on the boot partition?

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site

I will soon have a Nook Color 1.2 and would like to know how to get this to work.

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
@ kcls, if I may interject here for a second:

There are several comments throughout this thread of people having issues with FC's after getting the card completed. Just a mention that class 10 cards may be faster but they are not very stable for the small read/write cycles required for cm7. Class 2 or 4 sandisk cards have been tested extensively with cm7 and shown to have the best overall performance. FC issues can usually be traced back to either permission issues or the sd card itself. For those of you experiencing this, try a class 4 sandisk card. They are very inexpensive and you may see a major improvement in performance.

Thanks,kcls, for the time you have put into this thread and the help you provide to newcomers here. You are truly a mench! :)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

toonz

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I got the error "looking for the install images..
initial installl files not found."
it's asking for this file "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed" Which I have but I dont understand how to put it on the first partition of the SD card

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the answer. What this means to me is that if I have Stock 1.2 on a NC, I can still put CM7 on a SD card for booting along with the Gapps using the method in the begginning of this thread?

What is the difference in using the "size-agnostic SDCard CM7 installer" method and the method in this begginning of this thread? Any advantage of one over the other?

Size-agnostic method seems to use a spefiic file for certain sizes of SD card. I am assuming that the method in this thread does not need a specific size card.

Steve
They are the same, I believe. Just follow the instructions here and you should be OK. Your SD Card size won't matter, as long as it is greater then 1GB.

Just completed mine using the instructions on page 1 and it worked out well. My question is how do you sideload apk files (programs) on here? Do I put them on the boot partition?
You will need to use the USB cable, plug your Nook into the computer and turn on USB mass storage. Several partitions will pop up, but put you APK file on the "CM7 SD Card" partition. (Will update instructions on this in a bit)

I will soon have a Nook Color 1.2 and would like to know how to get this to work.
Get what to work? CM7? Just follow the instructions, that's what they are there for!

@ kcls, if I may interject here for a second:

There are several comments throughout this thread of people having issues with FC's after getting the card completed. Just a mention that class 10 cards may be faster but they are not very stable for the small read/write cycles required for cm7. Class 2 or 4 sandisk cards have been tested extensively with cm7 and shown to have the best overall performance. FC issues can usually be traced back to either permission issues or the sd card itself. For those of you experiencing this, try a class 4 sandisk card. They are very inexpensive and you may see a major improvement in performance.

Thanks,kcls, for the time you have put into this thread and the help you provide to newcomers here. You are truly a mench! :)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
Thank you for this, it's all very true. I had a Patriot Class 10 8GB Micro SD Card (that's a mouthful, huh?) and CM7 was basically unusable. I was getting FC's left and right, and it was pretty laggy. Off to radioshach for a SanDisk class 4 Micro SD Card, and it works great now. I'm glad I could help, thaks for mentioning me!

I got the error "looking for the install images..
initial installl files not found."
it's asking for this file "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed" Which I have but I dont understand how to put it on the first partition of the SD card

Plug your SD Card into your Computer and it will pop up with a partition titled "Boot". Put your CM7 file, and the GApps file on there.

Reactions: Nimocone

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Finding out the hard way that the class 4 sandisk is the solution to my problems. (after mastering the image write issue)

Running a class 4 toshiba 8 gig and everything is functional but so painfully slow.

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

My Nook Color showed up today. I already had the card ready to roll per the instructions on page 1 of this thread. Inserted and booted up. Linux Penguin shows up and files are being unpacked and loaded. It gets to the gapp installer, finds it and appears to be loading the files. At the end of that process,I see this:

removing gapps install file
flushing caches
clearing recovery flag
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
All steps complete, flushing caches again
Preparing to Shutdown

Then it shuts down and powers off. Putting the gapps installer back on the card starts the process over again, but it never makes it past what I typed in above.

I'm using a 2gb card, but there is no class designation on it. It came out of a Samsung Moment smartphone that is about 2 years old. Trying to do the Reboot and Recover doesn't seem applicable because I'm never getting into the CM7 boot screen. So holding down the power button during the load process just turns the unit back off.

I'm giving up for the night, but will have it with me at work tomorrow to try any suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE 8-23: I re-created the sd card going back to the page one instructions (once on an XP machine and another on a Win7 machine running Win32DiskImager on both as Administrator). As it was loading on the NC, this time I noticed 3 or 4 lines that started with 'chown cannot access' and then a file path right before it got to the gapps installer. I didn't notice that last night, but it's reasonable to assume it was there.

BTW, I'm trying to load cm-7.1.0.-RC1. I've tried Supersonic, Vibrant and Vega and have had the same results from each.

Given that others have had issues with different cards, I suppose it could be that. I don't have another to try at the moment. Any other suggestions? (FYI, I am not new to computers or android, but I am new to the NC and to rooting.)

Last edited:

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

My Nook Color showed up today. I already had the card ready to roll per the instructions on page 1 of this thread. Inserted and booted up. Linux Penguin shows up and files are being unpacked and loaded. It gets to the gapp installer, finds it and appears to be loading the files. At the end of that process,I see this:

removing gapps install file
flushing caches
clearing recovery flag
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
All steps complete, flushing caches again
Preparing to Shutdown

Then it shuts down and powers off. Putting the gapps installer back on the card starts the process over again, but it never makes it past what I typed in above.

I'm using a 2gb card, but there is no class designation on it. It came out of a Samsung Moment smartphone that is about 2 years old. Trying to do the Reboot and Recover doesn't seem applicable because I'm never getting into the CM7 boot screen. So holding down the power button during the load process just turns the unit back off.

I'm giving up for the night, but will have it with me at work tomorrow to try any suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE 8-23: I re-created the sd card going back to the page one instructions (once on an XP machine and another on a Win7 machine running Win32DiskImager on both as Administrator). As it was loading on the NC, this time I noticed 3 or 4 lines that started with 'chown cannot access' and then a file path right before it got to the gapps installer. I didn't notice that last night, but it's reasonable to assume it was there.

BTW, I'm trying to load cm-7.1.0.-RC1. I've tried Supersonic, Vibrant and Vega and have had the same results from each.

Given that others have had issues with different cards, I suppose it could be that. I don't have another to try at the moment. Any other suggestions? (FYI, I am not new to computers or android, but I am new to the NC and to rooting.)
switching cards got rid of the file allocation issues I was seeing during the rollout. I was seeing issues with inaccessible groups or units or sectors. I tried to video mine read and to post it but couldn't get it in focus. I'm also running stable 7.0.3.

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I bought a new 8gb class 4 Sandisk card today and started from scratch. Using update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed and it's working jim dandy so far. Very cool!

Last edited:

MAS956

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Hi,

I just followed the step by step and installed update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed on the SD card (4gb Sandisk CL4). After all the scrolling text on initial reboot, the nook gets stuck in a CM7 splash screen loop.

What to try next?

Thanks,

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I bought a new 8gb class 4 Sandisk card today and started from scratch. Using update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed and it's working jim dandy so far. Very cool!
checck to see if yourbluetooth will initialize

N2B8U

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

Hi,

I just followed the step by step and installed update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed on the SD card (4gb Sandisk CL4). After all the scrolling text on initial reboot, the nook gets stuck in a CM7 splash screen loop.

What to try next?

Thanks,
Dont know. I did my wifes and all worked. Tried to do a friends and it gets stuck at CM7 spalsh screen and loops as well.

MAS956

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Dont know. I did my wifes and all worked. Tried to do a friends and it gets stuck at CM7 spalsh screen and loops as well.

Did you format the nicrosd card first? On further investigation, it appears that the image is being written to a 128 mb partition on the card. I used EASEUS as recommended elsewhere to repartition the card and re-imaged and moved the two zip files over,but still no joy.

I'm using a Win7HP laptop. Could the problem be that I should do this on an XP box? Off to try that next, I guess. I'm a little stumped and a lot frustrated.

N2B8U

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

Did you format the nicrosd card first? On further investigation, it appears that the image is being written to a 128 mb partition on the card. I used EASEUS as recommended elsewhere to repartition the card and re-imaged and moved the two zip files over,but still no joy.

I'm using a Win7HP laptop. Could the problem be that I should do this on an XP box? Off to try that next, I guess. I'm a little stumped and a lot frustrated.
Got a new card. Working like a charm. Used a PNY 4GB Class4 with toshiba laptop running Win7.

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I was using 2GB PNY class 4's and never got either of them wo workk right.

Use the nook OS to unmount and then format the card first, then load everything in windows.

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
checck to see if yourbluetooth will initialize

Nope. When clicked, it says 'turning on' and then goes back to the original off state after 10 seconds or so. I assume you are seeing the same thing? I wasn't too worried about that considering the limited range. Wifi is working fine though (knock on wood).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante