[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

I was able to copy the update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip file to the boot partition of my sd card. Other files on the card are:

MILO
u-boot.bin
uImage
rRamdisk
uRecImg
uRecRam

I put it back in the nook, turn it on and it still boots to 7.0.3. Any ideas why it isn't flashing?

Thanks

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I was able to copy the update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip file to the boot partition of my sd card. Other files on the card are:

MILO
u-boot.bin
uImage
rRamdisk
uRecImg
uRecRam

I put it back in the nook, turn it on and it still boots to 7.0.3. Any ideas why it isn't flashing?

Thanks

You need to boot into recovery.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

wimayhem

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I have run 7.0.3 in the the past but i can not get nightlies 177 or 176 to boot after the initial setup. Just boots to stock nook any suggestions? I am going to try the latest rc but i wanted to get a kernal that i can over clock to 1300mhz. I also could not get the nook to boot into recovery with 7.0.3. Any help would be great.

wimayhem

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have run 7.0.3 in the the past but i can not get nightlies 177 or 176 to boot after the initial setup. Just boots to stock nook any suggestions? I am going to try the latest rc but i wanted to get a kernal that i can over clock to 1300mhz. I also could not get the nook to boot into recovery with 7.0.3. Any help would be great.

I got it. Just used the rc then booted into. Recovery bandit loadedthe nightly just fine. Now to get the apps to show in the new market and Skype video.

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Rebooting into recovery with update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip on my SD card and it's still booting to stable 7.0.3. Any ideas?

intellem0s

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

similar to some posts i've seen, i also get stuck after all the scrolling is finished and it "requests a shutdown" but doesn't start up. after hitting the power button, it'll say SD card is partitioned successfully already and just shut down again. idk what to do from here..

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I installed the stable release instead of the RC and then it worked. Battery life has not been very good on 7.0.3, but I hear it's better on the newer versions. (I'm still trying to get a newer version to flash, so I haven't been able to confirm that directly.)

intellem0s

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I installed the stable release instead of the RC and then it worked. Battery life has not been very good on 7.0.3, but I hear it's better on the newer versions. (I'm still trying to get a newer version to flash, so I haven't been able to confirm that directly.)
yeah I tried that with the same result. I don't want to use the how-to on the cyanogenmod because I think their tutotirial isn't for booting on the sd..I've used 3 different sd card: formatting each from a normal nook color and whatnot. but I'm going to try again from scratch tonight.

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If you've read through this entire thread, the Sandisk class 4 card is highly recommended. I'm using an 8gb card with no issues using stable 7.0.3

HOWEVER, I keep trying to update to either the 7.1 RC1 or the nightly 175. Each time I add the file (either update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip or cm_encore_full-175.zip) to the sd card in the boot (the only) partition on the sd card, fire up the nook and reboot into recovery nothing happens. It continues to boot to 7.0.3 encore. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone, but I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong because it won't flash to the new version.

stanrayjunk

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

So I have my factory reconditioned Nook Color.

I have used the following software as instructed:
generic-sdcard.img
Win32DiskImager.exe
update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip
gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

Android boots but all I get is a nice android flying to the left then to the right on a skateboard and nice blue arrow circling it 4 times and then the whole process repeats. can't get past it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stan

vchengap

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

similar to some posts i've seen, i also get stuck after all the scrolling is finished and it "requests a shutdown" but doesn't start up. after hitting the power button, it'll say SD card is partitioned successfully already and just shut down again. idk what to do from here..

Same issue here.

Currently on stock Nook OS, ver. 1.3, with B&N's new partition setup (blue sticker on box).

Please let us know if there's a workaround for this.

mjlazarus

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Sames as above. Stock Nook OS, version 1.3, 16 gb, class 10 micro sd. I followed the instructions to the letter, no joy. I appreciate all help.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I forgot there was an update for the stock nook firmware. It must have messed something up... let me poke around a little bit and see what I can find.

Looks like even just by reading a few pages of the original XDA forum topic it should be compatible with 1.3. Is everyone following these instructions exactly, including running winimage as administrator?
Sent from my CM7'd NookColor using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mjlazarus

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, I forgot there was an update for the stock nook firmware. It must have messed something up... let me poke around a little bit and see what I can find.

Looks like even just by reading a few pages of the original XDA forum topic it should be compatible with 1.3. Is everyone following these instructions exactly, including running winimage as administrator?
kcls thanks much. I followed the instructions to the letter; however, i had to use winrar. I executed Winrar as Admin, worked very well. I used a fresh "out-of-the-box" PNY 16 gb, class 10 micro sd. I disabled my Net/Anti-virus software.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
kcls thanks much. I followed the instructions to the letter; however, i had to use winrar. I executed Winrar as Admin, worked very well. I used a fresh "out-of-the-box" PNY 16 gb, class 10 micro sd. I disabled my Net/Anti-virus software.

What do you mean you had to use winrar? I'm glad my instructions worked for you! Oh, do you mean winimage, instead of win32diskimager? Yeah, that program works just as well, but the first time I tried using it, I couldn't figure out how to make it work :) I always recommended using win32disk imager work this reason.

timyh

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Tired out this guide, worked great on my NC. Running nice and stable overclocked to 925mhz. Going to be adventurous and try out higher overclocks

TnTexas

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

If I were to do this, should I be able to run the apps I run on my Thunderbolt on my NOOKcolor? I'm basically thinking of my PlayOn app (which allows me to run Netflix and Hulu) and the Audible.com app. Thanks!

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If I were to do this, should I be able to run the apps I run on my Thunderbolt on my NOOKcolor? I'm basically thinking of my PlayOn app (which allows me to run Netflix and Hulu) and the Audible.com app. Thanks!

Should work fine but you could just use the netflix app and the hacked hulu flash instead of playon. I havent tested audible but it should work.

---------------------------------

If this post helped you don't forget to say thanks!

TnTexas

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

Should work fine but you could just use the netflix app and the hacked hulu flash instead of playon. I havent tested audible but it should work.

Yeah, I know. But I paid for a lifetime subscription to PlayOn shortly after I got my phone since I couldn't find apps for either one. Figure I might as well make use of it. :)

I don't suppose there's a place where I could a chip with all of this information already on it; is there? If not, how do I go about doing this if my computer doesn't have a slot for a microchip?

If this post helped you don't forget to say thanks![/QUOTE]

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know. But I paid for a lifetime subscription to PlayOn shortly after I got my phone since I couldn't find apps for either one. Figure I might as well make use of it. :)

I don't suppose there's a place where I could a chip with all of this information already on it; is there? If not, how do I go about doing this if my computer doesn't have a slot for a microchip?

----------------

What information are you referring to?

If this post helped you don't forget to say thanks!