[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

ok, i'm missing something, or something is screwy. i have the files downloaded, and in the file folders. when i run Win32 Disk Imager, and go to get the image file, then cm7 folder is empty.

what have i done wrong? am i not holding my tongue right?

Did you also unzip the image file?
If the file name ends with ".gz", you will need to unzip the file and it will unpack an ".img" file.

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Did you also unzip the image file?
If the file name ends with ".gz", you will need to unzip the file and it will unpack an ".img" file.

i hate when i miss a step ...

ok, i went back and got the verygreen cm7 file and unzipped it into the cm7 folder, and then when i went to run the imager i get an error message stating that my sd card does not have enough space. i am using a 2GB microSD card.

please help.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

i hate when i miss a step ...

ok, i went back and got the verygreen cm7 file and unzipped it into the cm7 folder, and then when i went to run the imager i get an error message stating that my sd card does not have enough space. i am using a 2GB microSD card.

please help.

OK, in honesty, I didn't try the verygreen cm7 image file. Only because the original steps worked flawless for me.

Use this one(the link still works):

http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz

Don't forget to unzip this file before writing to sd card.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well i downloaded the links provided here, so that's a little disheartning :(

Well I zipped that file myself, its the one I used for my nook so it shouldn't have a virus. Nook.linuxhacker.ru is the site that file originally came from, downloaded from verygreens original post. I'll edit tomorrow to include the original link again. This thread has really taken off lately! I need to check it more often...

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, in honesty, I didn't try the verygreen cm7 image file. Only because the original steps worked flawless for me.

Use this one(the link still works):

http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz

Don't forget to unzip this file before writing to sd card.

jp,

let me first say thank you for your patience. :)

now let me share some of my frustration. i went back and got the other file, and unzipped it into my cm7 folder. i then ran the imager software, got a warning window stating 'Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?'

i select 'yes' and get the other error message letting me know that there is not enough room on my 2GB SD card.

any guesses at what i need to do now? :(

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

jp,

let me first say thank you for your patience. :)

now let me share some of my frustration. i went back and got the other file, and unzipped it into my cm7 folder. i then ran the imager software, got a warning window stating 'Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?'

i select 'yes' and get the other error message letting me know that there is not enough room on my 2GB SD card.

any guesses at what i need to do now? :(

OK, if you downloaded the imager from this thread, then you are using 0.2 version.
I read reports from people that are having the same problem as you. Their solution was to unzip and run the 0.1 version. Try that.
Here is the link:
Scroll down and click on this: win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip (md5)

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, if you downloaded the imager from this thread, then you are using 0.2 version.
I read reports from people that are having the same problem as you. Their solution was to unzip and run the 0.1 version. Try that.
Here is the link:

thanks jp! i now have the image on the SD card. i will continue to try and get my NC optimized!! :)

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Here is the link:

sweet! i'm progressing well now. however, i now have some questions of how to get the GAPPS onto the SD card. i have turned off my nook, and i am trying to move the GAPPS to the SD, but i am getting a message asking if i want to reformat the card. if i do that then i have disabled all that i have done, right? so what do i do?

also, how do i adjust the clock time? right now it is 3:12pm CST and the time on the NC says 9:00pm. how do i change the time?

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

sweet! i'm progressing well now. however, i now have some questions of how to get the GAPPS onto the SD card. i have turned off my nook, and i am trying to move the GAPPS to the SD, but i am getting a message asking if i want to reformat the card. if i do that then i have disabled all that i have done, right? so what do i do?

also, how do i adjust the clock time? right now it is 3:12pm CST and the time on the NC says 9:00pm. how do i change the time?

Don't reformat. Click cancel on the popup window. When you insert the sd card in your pc, a window should pop up asking if you want to view the files on the device "boot". If you can view the directory structure of the sdcard, simply copy the gapps-signed file to the sd card and insert back in the nook.
Power on the nook and after cm7 has completely loaded hold power button and select reboot, then select recovery. Your nook will power down and it will install the google apps.

P.S. If CM7 boots properly, windows should not be asking if you want to reformat the card. I have expeienced this before when plugging in my phone to the pc using a usb cable.

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Don't reformat. Click cancel on the popup window. When you insert the sd card in your pc, a window should pop up asking if you want to view the files on the device "boot". If you can view the directory structure of the sdcard, simply copy the gapps-signed file to the sd card and insert back in the nook.
Power on the nook and after cm7 has completely loaded hold power button and select reboot, then select recovery. Your nook will power down and it will install the google apps.

P.S. If CM7 boots properly, windows should not be asking if you want to reformat the card. I have expeienced this before when plugging in my phone to the pc using a usb cable.

i cannot do anything with the SD card after i take it out of the NC ... i cannot read the card, or paste anything to it.

bumba2000

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

No question is stupid! Yes, running off the SD Card is indeed a totally different operating system. While you will have access to your emmc (internal memory) files, such as if you put music on the internal memory of your nook, you will not have access to your Nook apps. You will have to take out the SD Card in order to get to the reader. You can, however, download the Nook reader app from the android market and read all your Nook books from that.
Hi!
I did everything as u said and everything is working I mean loaded OS from a SD card. The thing is when I connected tablet with a SD card to PC or mac it doesn't see tablet at all. Then I removed SD card from Nook and connected to PC via Adapter and it seen by PC as disk E "Boot" but size is 115 Mb instead of 32 GB ( size of card) . So it only sees 115 size of a partition with name "Boot" it doesn't see the hole SD card with size 32 GB.
Thank you.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

Hi!
I did everything as u said and everything is working I mean loaded OS from a SD card. The thing is when I connected tablet with a SD card to PC or mac it doesn't see tablet at all. Then I removed SD card from Nook and connected to PC via Adapter and it seen by PC as disk E "Boot" but size is 115 Mb instead of 32 GB ( size of card) . So it only sees 115 size of a partition with name "Boot" it doesn't see the hole SD card with size 32 GB.
Thank you.

It won't see the whole capacity cause you wrote a 115mb image to it. So the remaining space of the card is "unallocated" which basically means not used. You will need EASEUS Partition Master to utilize the remaining space for use in CM7.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

i cannot do anything with the SD card after i take it out of the NC ... i cannot read the card, or paste anything to it.

OK, try writing the sd card generic image file to the sd card again and see if windows will let you see the contents.
Remember to "safely" eject the sd card and pop it back in after writing image.

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, try writing the sd card generic image file to the sd card again and see if windows will let you see the contents.

ok, forgive my ignorance, but do you mean to reformat the sd card, and load both files to the sd card? also, do i unzip the GAPPS, or copy the zip file to the sd card?

bumba2000

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Ok , I installed "ease partition magic" and it does see a SD card with few partitions -" Boot" -115 MB then 2 another marked with " * " sizes are different but within 250 MB and biggest partition named "CM7" -size 22 GB about. As soon as I quit "Ease part." and open my PC it sees the SD card only one partition E: Boot - size 115 MB .

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

i tried to go back and format the card and reload the image, and add the gapps. when i put the card back in the nook i got a message telling me to go to this site, http://nook.linuxhacker.ru/, and download some file. when i tried to go to the address, i got messages saying that the address does not go anywhere.

am i ever going to be able to go to the android market and download the espn app, or angry birds? i'm trying. i'm really trying to follow your instructions. i got to the point where i could surf the net, and see the cool android stuff, but i cannot download anything from the market because it says that my device is not supported and i do not have any android devices associated with my account.

just a little frustrated. is there any hope? :(

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Ok , I installed "ease partition magic" and it does see a SD card with few partitions -" Boot" -115 MB then 2 another marked with " * " sizes are different but within 250 MB and biggest partition named "CM7" -size 22 GB about. As soon as I quit "Ease part." and open my PC it sees the SD card only one partition E: Boot - size 115 MB .

It will only see the first partition "boot" because that is the only 'active' partition.
As long as CM7 reports the SD Card to the size you stretched it, your good to go.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

i tried to go back and format the card and reload the image, and add the gapps. when i put the card back in the nook i got a message telling me to go to this site, http://nook.linuxhacker.ru/, and download some file. when i tried to go to the address, i got messages saying that the address does not go anywhere.

am i ever going to be able to go to the android market and download the espn app, or angry birds? i'm trying. i'm really trying to follow your instructions. i got to the point where i could surf the net, and see the cool android stuff, but i cannot download anything from the market because it says that my device is not supported and i do not have any android devices associated with my account.

just a little frustrated. is there any hope? :(

Yes, there is hope.......... I hope........... :D
I have ran across several apps that said my device wasn't compatible. That is B.S.
Maybe cause we are running an android phone operating system.
Cause I backed up the apps on my phone and transferred them to my nook and they installed and ran just fine.
Another option is to install the Amazon App store and get apps from there. Never had an incompatible problem there. Plus you get a free app every day.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is hope.......... I hope........... :D
I have ran across several apps that said my device wasn't compatible. That is B.S.
Maybe cause we are running an android phone operating system.
Cause I backed up the apps on my phone and transferred them to my nook and they installed and ran just fine.
Another option is to install the Amazon App store and get apps from there. Never had an incompatible problem there. Plus you get a free app every day.

What CM version are you using? If you are using 7.1 stable or above you shouldn't be getting those messages from the market.

Sent from space

MoniqueWS

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

:'( Yargh! I did this successfully for my Nook in October but I am having trouble doing this for my daughter's Nook. I had to re-size the SDcard partition so it could accept the CM7 file. I put the SDcard into the Nook. Turn it on. I see Loading ... I see the Linux penguin and lots of code. The Nook hangs up with the last few lines saying:
Looking for the install images ...
Initial Install files not found.
Please downlaod it from nook.linuxhacker.ru
andput on first partition of this SD Card
the name should start with updatei-cm and end with .zip​

Please help this n00b. :confused:

I got my answers. Thanks!

Last edited: