[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

erickrocks1126

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

Wanted to report that this process worked well for MIUI (on my earlier post) and for CM9 (aka ICS) with an updated .img from XDA developers (thanks to those folks there). Now my dilemma...which SD card to use today? MIUI, CM7, or CM9? Or stock ;-)

EDIT/UPDATE: Some notes in making a MIUI. Using the image provided at the start of this thread, the MIUI ROM (2.4.6) as 2MB too big. So, I used EASUES partition manager to bump up the boot partition size a touch. It then fit just fine. Also, had to rename the MIUI .zip file (the ROM) the same as the CM7, as that's what the Linux bootup sequence was looking for (I renamed it update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed; the original MIUI file was named MIUI.us_encore_2.4.6_hockey737_signed). So, doing this (and same for CM9, ICS) it worked just fine. So, basically follow the directions to the "T" as described by the op, but increase the boot partition size to fit the ROM and rename the ROM so it's recognizeable when you first do this process. One last note...no need to load gapps with MIUI because it's got Android Market in the ROM already. When you try to use it, it should automatically update to the latest version of Google Play that will work. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

kozmo2k

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Wanted to report that this process worked well for MIUI (on my earlier post) and for CM9 (aka ICS) with an updated .img from XDA developers (thanks to those folks there). Now my dilemma...which SD card to use today? MIUI, CM7, or CM9? Or stock ;-)

Same here... LoL.... I guess time to make a Honeycomb SDcard!

Sent from NOOK Color CM7.2 using Tapatalk 2

dsaha

May 4, 2012
Visit site

I have been trying to load the image on a 8 gb transcend class 4 sd card. as soon as i write the image to the sd card it shows only 120 mb on the card and a boot partition, rest 7.8 gb goes missing. i need to reformat the same with a partition manager to get the whole disk space back.

Any idea why this is happening.

fiend2386

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

So, this may be a stupid question, but I've been doing this on a 1 gig for a bit and I like it a lot, when I switch to a 4 gig can I return the 1 gig back to a normal sd card? Also, I should have roughly 3 gigs of storage space remaining on the 4 gig correct?

Proper282

May 24, 2012
Visit site

I bought an 8gb N2A card months ago when I bought my NC and finally made my own 16gb CM7 card a few days ago. It boots SOOOOO much faster than the N2A card! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH

On another note. I had the Gapps issue some have been talking about. what I had to do was install the cm7 zip file and let it do it's thing then restart my NC. After it booted to the CM7 I took the sd card out and put it back in the comp and copied the Gapps zip. inserted it back in my NC and fired it up. then rebooted it. after that it did all the work and the Google Play store was rockin and rollin!

Also, is there a CM9 ICS build that I can run on the NC?

Thank you again

tpm10110

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Hello, I recently got a NC and thought I would be much more competent in getting it booted from a SD card. I followed all the instructions, yet when it boots and runs through the process, I get an error regarding no boot partition on SD card...?

I have also had sort of the same issue when I was thinking about doing an internal flash...I could not get CWork to mount/detect zip files on card. It is a 4GB Sandisk.

I appreciate any help!

tpm10110

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

For some reason, after following the steps, the boot progress is halted and I get a warning that there is no boot partition detected? On SD card. Is this a simple fix? Or did I miss something and make a very easy process unnecessarily difficult.

Thanks!

RBrockett08

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

If I want to erase the partition to completely put the SD card back to factory, how do I do so?

YogiB3@r

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Okay, so I read the complete HOW-TO guide here and I download the requisite files and make the folders following the instructions. I had a Kingston 8gb micro SD card and ran Win32DiskImager to set up the image. Now my 8gb SD card only reads 117MB!!! It will not reformat to 8GB it is only reading as 117MB even in Disk Management on Windows 7 pro.

Ideas???:mad:

Okay, I'm goofy, I read the above post and now it is reading the full 8GB. Sorry for the early rant.

Okay, I am still stuck. I tried to install the image per the instructions and it resized the SD card to 116Mb. I have reran the SD formatter 3.1 multiple times using various settings and it is stuck in 116MB.

Ideas

Edit: 9-14-12

I can get the image burned to the SD card, and I can copy the update. When I boot the NC using the SD card and get the WiFi setup I can no longer read the disk on my Windows machine. How do i get GApps loaded onto the SD card?

Last edited:

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
OK you most likely burned the SD card yes its possible and what the hell? Root is a must for cm you gotta unlock your boot loader sounds like you've been reading garbage

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

convertibear

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm tired and frustrated and ready to send my NC to someone who can do things. I cannot get the verygreens file to unzip so that I can move the images. I get an error that the file may be corrupt or some such thing. I doubt it is corrupted or everyone else would have had the same problem before they even get started. I'm using Windows 7, could that be the issue?

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired and frustrated and ready to send my NC to someone who can do things. I cannot get the verygreens file to unzip so that I can move the images. I get an error that the file may be corrupt or some such thing. I doubt it is corrupted or everyone else would have had the same problem before they even get started. I'm using Windows 7, could that be the issue?

I've done this on windows 7 (I have upgraded since the time of writing this guide) and haven't had a problem unzipping the attached file. Are you using winzip?

Tapatalk? from my Optimus V

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Is this still working for people?

I had the card working Gingerbread on my wife's and my sister-in-law's nook since last Christmas. Sometime in the past couple of months, gingerbread will no longer load. Tried both cards on both nook colors.

I'm seeing there is a 7.1. Do I need to wipe and install that? 7.2?

Last edited:

GnastyGnome

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: No USB mass storage option when I plug in using my Nook cord.

I am running into the same issue that several others have had, in that when I put the image onto the microSD using Win32diskimager. Every time I do it, the SD card only has a 115MB capacity, which doesn't allow enough space for the CM7 file. I have tried it on a PNY 32 GB Class 4, as well as a Kingston 2 GB. I have used SD Formatter several times, and I have also formatted from the NC. I have used the latest version of Win32DiskImager as well as RELAEASE 01 R15, as was suggested by someone in a thread. I have grabbed the image from the old link that was crossed out (still works) as well as the one at the bottom of the tutorial. Any other ideas I should try?

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I am running into the same issue that several others have had, in that when I put the image onto the microSD using Win32diskimager. Every time I do it, the SD card only has a 115MB capacity, which doesn't allow enough space for the CM7 file. I have tried it on a PNY 32 GB Class 4, as well as a Kingston 2 GB. I have used SD Formatter several times, and I have also formatted from the NC. I have used the latest version of Win32DiskImager as well as RELAEASE 01 R15, as was suggested by someone in a thread. I have grabbed the image from the old link that was crossed out (still works) as well as the one at the bottom of the tutorial. Any other ideas I should try?

Reformat to get the full capacity back and then try again. I used SDformatter.

amberlynn722

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

First just wanted to say this guide is amazing and so easy for the less knowledgeable to understand. I've had 100% success running CM7 off my regular old nook color and its been going strong for about a year now. The only question/request I have is I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a guide that is just as amazing and easy as this one but would allow me to upgrade to like ICS? I'm morebthan willing to wipe my current SD and start from scratch if it will give mean more updated version of an android OS but I don't wanna even think about it until Im sure I have legit accurate info. Would really love to have this before mothers day so I can set up my mom's nook forbher as her mother's day gift ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37