Nook Color Fridge Magnet...

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So I got my NC with CM 7.0.3 on it, and I put it in a case with some neodymium magnets on the back and I stuck it to the refrigerator. I think it is the best fridge magnet ever! I have the power cable routed along the hidden side of the fridge, so this is intended to be an "always on" device. I was just wondering what other apps I could add to make it that much more awesome. The wife and I both have DINC2s so we're totally android. Here's what I've done so far:

Fancy Widget for weather/time
Cloudlist (for the grocery list and sync'd to DINC2s)
Google Maps with Latitude (we both have long commutes, easy to see where the other is)
GMail (both of our accounts added for quick access to the inbox)
Days until widget (countdown for important events like kid birthdays, xmas, etc.)
SlingPlayer (TV in the kitchen)
Netflix (why not?)
Iheartradio and Pandora (tunes in the kitchen)
Calwidget (displays current agenda)
Desktop shortcut to the wife's recipe folder on Windows Home Server
Pizza Hut app (for when she doesn't want to cook)

I like RadarNow on my DINC2, but it doesn't work too well on NC even with compatibility turned off. I'd like a good replacement if someone can suggest one (NC kept in landscape mode).

Any other suggestions making this thing even more useful? Was thinking of maybe an app for displaying a slideshow of pictures?
Thanks!

SoldierofCatan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
LOL... B&N Nook... "Cheapest Android Tablet Ever!" or "Worlds Most Expensive Refrigerator Magnet!"

This does sound cool. Are there any issues with having powerful magnets next to the Nook?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
LOL... B&N Nook... "Cheapest Android Tablet Ever!" or "Worlds Most Expensive Refrigerator Magnet!"

This does sound cool. Are there any issues with having powerful magnets next to the Nook?

No problems at all. Works perfectly. No interference with WiFi either.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Actually...having a little problem getting the magnets to stick to the NC protective cover. I was using "Liquid Nails" to glue the magnets to the cover. The LN sticks to the magnets, but not the cover! After a few times of taking it off of the refrigerator, the glue loosens from the cover. I have to scrape it off the magnets.

Off to Lowe's to find a stronger adhesive!

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here's some pictures.
The nd magnets don't seem to have any effect on the Nook Color at all.

I had to get through about 1.5mm of rubber on the back of the NC case. It wasn't pretty, but I used Liquid Nails to attach the magnets. It's been 3 days now and I've taken it off and put it back on the fridge several times to test the adhesiveness. It's working like a charm so far. I blurred the screen so I'm not sharing too much personal info, that's not an effect from the magnets. :) The second picture is the NC mounted on the fridge. I simply have the NC power cord running between the ice dispenser and the NC. I have it rotated that way for using NetFlix and SlingPlayer. Those 2 apps don't rotate the other way. Currently using CalWidget for displaying my calendar on the home screen. I'm thinking about plugging in some external speakers to the headphone jack which can run to some speakers hidden up on top of the kitchen cabinets. Best part? This project is "wife approved"!

Here's the pics:
back.jpg

Here's the front mounted on the fridge over the ice dispenser:
front.jpg

Last edited:

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
For you weather app, see if Rainy Days works for your setup. It looks great btw.

Thanks. I have some BlueTooth speakers on order to hook up to it for a little bit better sound in the kitchen. Speakers can be hidden easily on top of kitchen counters.

Last edited:

anon(4904195)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Pretty nice setup I gotta say. I had this same brainstorm a couple weeks ago. I found this though. PadTab Tablet Mounting System - The ultimate iPad wall mount

I was overthinking ways to mount it up in my kitchen for easy use with stuff like Allrecipes app and everything. I got this and centered it right up on the back of the nook. The 3M adhesive works awesome. Its hanging on my wood cabinets and i used the second clip to put on the bookshelf next to my bed as alarmclock/video pad. Just a thought for anybody who wants an easy fix and can't find all the supplies as easily!

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I like RadarNow on my DINC2, but it doesn't work too well on NC even with compatibility turned off. I'd like a good replacement if someone can suggest one (NC kept in landscape mode).

Any other suggestions making this thing even more useful? Was thinking of maybe an app for displaying a slideshow of pictures?
Thanks!
That's a very cool setup! Congrats on your front page story. ;-)

Personally, I like Weatherbug for weather. Animated radar rocks on the Nook.

If you keep it plugged in all the time, won't it wreck the battery eventually? With the limited use that thing will get during the day most times, I know the Nook color I have (also with CM7) can go for 2-3 days without needing a recharge. Consider occasionally letting it drain down and charge up.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Would Velcro work better?
Great idea, thanks for sharing. Love my Nook (and HTC Sensation too)!

Velcro may work, but I didn't want to leave anything on the fridge when the tablet comes off. The ND magnets hold it VERY firmly to the door (3 kids 4-6 that tend to slam door and it stays in place).

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
That's a very cool setup! Congrats on your front page story. ;-)

Personally, I like Weatherbug for weather. Animated radar rocks on the Nook.

If you keep it plugged in all the time, won't it wreck the battery eventually? With the limited use that thing will get during the day most times, I know the Nook color I have (also with CM7) can go for 2-3 days without needing a recharge. Consider occasionally letting it drain down and charge up.

I like Weatherbug on my DINC2, but it keeps freezing on my NC (running latest nightly build). I'm currently using Rainy Days and it works pretty well.

We actually use it quite a bit throughout the day. We play a lot of Pandora and IHeartRadio on it. The wife watches the evening news on it (using slingbox). I let the battery drain on a pretty regular basis to try and make it last a little longer. It was purchased with the intent to KEEP it on the fridge door, so if the battery goes tits up, it's not too big of a deal.

Last edited:

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the share. Gives me ideas for when I get another tablet so my wife could give up her NC. Who's account is on the NC?

My account is primary on the NC, but her account is also on for a quicklink to her inbox. I turned off location sharing so Latitude works well no matter who's looking at it (we both work 40+ miles from home so it's nice to track the other's progress home). I have thought about creating a new account for using Google Talk, but I don't think it's necessary to have GTalk on the NC for our uses.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I got the Bluetooth Speakers, but I can't put the speakers close enough to get them to stay paired. I've wired the speakers in and I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674