Wanting to Root my Wife's nook but.....?

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I want to root my wife's nook color but I have some questions before i actually dive into it.

Besides gaining the ability to use it as a fully functional tablet will she be able to get her books and apps she has purchased on it? possibly via nook app? I just want to make sure she does not loose any functionality on it that she is currently using such as the B&N books to purchase and everything else she can do on a fully stock and unrooted nook color.

Also will I be able to install the Android app market to it?
will amazon app store work on it and be able to install apps from there as well?

I did a search but came up with nothing about my concerns. If there is something out there please point me in the right direction. Any and all advise on this is greatly appreciated.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my wife's nook color but I have some questions before i actually dive into it.

Besides gaining the ability to use it as a fully functional tablet will she be able to get her books and apps she has purchased on it? possibly via nook app? I just want to make sure she does not loose any functionality on it that she is currently using such as the B&N books to purchase and everything else she can do on a fully stock and unrooted nook color.

Also will I be able to install the Android app market to it?
will amazon app store work on it and be able to install apps from there as well?

I did a search but came up with nothing about my concerns. If there is something out there please point me in the right direction. Any and all advise on this is greatly appreciated.

By rooting do you mean rooting the stock OS or running cm7?

Yes the android market and the amazon Appstore will work.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brainfart

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
yes root it and run cm7 on it. Will I still be able to use it for B&N book purchases through a nook app? My wife has purchased several books from B&N with her nook color already and I just need to make sure she will still be able to continue to use her Nook like she is currently now with it stock, I hope I am explaining this correctly for anyone to understand.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, with the Nook reader for Android she will still have access to her B&N library but will have to re-download any books she wants to read. Some magazine and newspaper subscriptions might not work though as well as "read to me" children's books. If she has any magazine or newspaper subscriptions, go to the B&N site and look them up. They will indicate what they work on.

Reactions: Brainfart

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Got cm7 running on the bootable SD card. I must say I like it. only thing is it is kinda slow opening apps and such. Is this because it is running off of the SD card and not the internal memory? Will it be much faster if/when I root and pertinently put cm7 on it?

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
You might see a major improvement in speed running from emmc depending on the type and class of sd card you are presently using. I currently run cm7 from emmc and use a sandisk 8gb class 4 sd card for storage. I use the B&N store for several books and the app works well with the exception of the search button being hard to push. (It's in the far upper right cornerr of the screen). As was mentioned before, the sd card slot is not designed for constant use and will fail in time if you remove and replace the sd card frequently. My advice would be to install cm7 internally. If you decide to restore to stock later, that can easily be accomplished. This will eliminate the possibility of a trashed sd card slot which would result in a return. Either way, the nook is an amazing device to work with. Good luck.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Captain Kana

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Card speeds?

I used How to make a bootable SD card running CyanogenMod for the Nook Color. ? glasskeys.com for a bootable CM7 with great instructions for a Mac. Works great.

I had picked up a cheap Sandisk at Costco, 8gb. I have a Pony 16gb, that I was having problems trying to partition, but now works using the method in the above link. It seems to be faster than the Sandisk?

I know writing, or burning to the Pony card was close to twice as fast as the Sandisk, when you use Terminal it gives the times.

Oh yeah, this was on my wife's Nook.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I used How to make a bootable SD card running CyanogenMod for the Nook Color. ? glasskeys.com for a bootable CM7 with great instructions for a Mac. Works great.

I had picked up a cheap Sandisk at Costco, 8gb. I have a Pony 16gb, that I was having problems trying to partition, but now works using the method in the above link. It seems to be faster than the Sandisk?

I know writing, or burning to the Pony card was close to twice as fast as the Sandisk, when you use Terminal it gives the times.

Oh yeah, this was on my wife's Nook.

Random read and write speeds are what are most important when running from an sd card.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If she uses the stock ROM often it is only a matter of time before the card slot will fail in some way. A number of people have reported the card either getting stuck or not staying in after a while. The slot was not designed for repeated use. My recommendation is to either put CM7 on the eMMC, root the stock ROM or just leave things alone.

My card is dual boot so I leave it in permanently. Works very well!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech