Root for Version 1.2 or 1.3?

Ender3D

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

So I just bought my NC today and failed at an attempt to root the device. (Likely my failure to follow directions properly more then anything else)

The version that it came with out of the box is 1.2. Is there a working root method for this? I attempted to search, but I found nothing specific.

I assume that there is nothing fully tested yet for the 1.3 version since it seems this is the most current. Is this correct?

Thanks,

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and it works wonderfully. I just rooted my NookColor 1.3 two days ago, no problems, everything seems to be working. Apps listed and installed via marketplace and all B&N features like reading books for an hour in store work. It's not as clean as the old 1.1 root (apps don't show in the default nook app section, have to us zoom launcher) but still very functional.

jcesar085

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i want to root but the steps seems confusing to me i just bought one for 100 but it was preinstall with 1.3.0
Anyways is there a video tutorial?

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i want to root but the steps seems confusing to me i just bought one for 100 but it was preinstall with 1.3.0
Anyways is there a video tutorial?

It actually isn't that bad if you are already at 1.3 stock. Basically create the bootable SD, run the older .zip root file using the bootable SD, reboot the nook to the stock home screen with out the SD, reboot again with the bootable SD, run the newer .zip root file, reboot the nook wihtout the SD and launch zeam launcher, run the permission fix, then reboot the nook again with out the SD and you are done.

At least that's all it took for me. The instruction look more involved than it actually is, just take your time, read over it and pay attention to the sections that talk about what is needed for version 1.3 nooks.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
It actually isn't that bad if you are already at 1.3 stock. Basically create the bootable SD, run the older .zip root file using the bootable SD, reboot the nook to the stock home screen with out the SD, reboot again with the bootable SD, run the newer .zip root file, reboot the nook wihtout the SD and launch zeam launcher, run the permission fix, then reboot the nook again with out the SD and you are done.

At least that's all it took for me. The instruction look more involved than it actually is, just take your time, read over it and pay attention to the sections that talk about what is needed for version 1.3 nooks.

So what files go on the SD card to make it a bootable one? It says one thing, then goes off on a tangent, back to something else, then somewhere else without saying much. Then the instructions say "follow the instructions to burn the SD card"...WHAT instructions?

Edit: Never mind...just did it the way I thought it should be done and it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinklady1908

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Which NookColor Tool setting enables install of non-market apps? I've been looking for it for over an hour!

Edit: Found that too...Though it doesn't call itself that.

Had another issue though that required me to go back to stock 1.0.1, and then flash again. However, once I returned to stock, when I'd plug the NC in, it didn't recognize the NC, but recognized the SD card just fine. Flashed back and forth several times trying to get it to recognize the actual NC. It wasn't the cable or the port since it found the SD card just fine when it was in the NC. Anyway, that was one I picked up at a garage sale for $50.00. I won't be rooting my good one anytime soon. I've never bricked a phone, but I definitely bricked a NC. Good luck, and Happy Rooting! I now have a functional NC, and a very large SD Card Reader. Any clues why that happened?

Last edited:

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Which NookColor Tool setting enables install of non-market apps? I've been looking for it for over an hour!

Edit: Found that too...Though it doesn't call itself that.

Had another issue though that required me to go back to stock 1.0.1, and then flash again. However, once I returned to stock, when I'd plug the NC in, it didn't recognize the NC, but recognized the SD card just fine. Flashed back and forth several times trying to get it to recognize the actual NC. It wasn't the cable or the port since it found the SD card just fine when it was in the NC. Anyway, that was one I picked up at a garage sale for $50.00. I won't be rooting my good one anytime soon. I've never bricked a phone, but I definitely bricked a NC. Good luck, and Happy Rooting! I now have a functional NC, and a very large SD Card Reader. Any clues why that happened?

There is no way to brick a nook.

So your problem is that you cannot see your internal memory when your plug your nook into the computer?

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to brick a nook.

So your problem is that you cannot see your internal memory when your plug your nook into the computer?

Yep...shows the SD card after I formatted it, but not the internal memory, even with a rebuilt partition. (which wasn't touched originally) It's the weirdest thing. The XDA forums say it's really hard (and I believe that) to brick one, but not impossible...I've tried everything I can think of, including repartitioning, reformatting, reinstalling, several different bootable SD's, replaced the SD, etc. I'm stumped. I'm beginning to think the internal memory just crapped out.

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, I wish there was a way to sideload Aldiko Pro onto my other NC (without rooting it) so I could use it in place of the NC reader software.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yep...shows the SD card after I formatted it, but not the internal memory, even with a rebuilt partition. (which wasn't touched originally) It's the weirdest thing. The XDA forums say it's really hard (and I believe that) to brick one, but not impossible...I've tried everything I can think of, including repartitioning, reformatting, reinstalling, several different bootable SD's, replaced the SD, etc. I'm stumped. I'm beginning to think the internal memory just crapped out.

Are a you able to save anything to the internal memory at all? You might be missing a driver on your computer.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, I wish there was a way to sideload Aldiko Pro onto my other NC (without rooting it) so I could use it in place of the NC reader software.

The only way to install is rooting, but there aren't any negatives to rooting anyway IMHO. You can always go back to stock if you need to return it.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Are a you able to save anything to the internal memory at all? You might be missing a driver on your computer.

Nope...can't save anything. Can't even see it. It boots up fine, (which means the damn thing is there!) and when you plug it in, it just shows the SD card. It worked on my computer fine earlier last night. I was wondering myself if my puter had dropped a driver, even though it shows the SD card just fine, so I tried it on 2 other puters. I think I zapped it, or it just wore out. I just ran a bootable CW card again, and ran the tool to rebuild the stock partition, and it's still not showing. I think the internal memory took a dump. I could always grab another 32GB card and run CM7 off of it... I'm still looking though.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The only way to install is rooting, but there aren't any negatives to rooting anyway IMHO. You can always go back to stock if you need to return it.

Nope, nothing wrong at all with rooting. I root everything I can. I just wasn't able to go back to stock on my used NC...Well, it went back to stock, but I can't access the internal memory which would be a nice place to flash CM7...

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Nope...can't save anything. Can't even see it. It boots up fine, (which means the damn thing is there!) and when you plug it in, it just shows the SD card. It worked on my computer fine earlier last night. I was wondering myself if my puter had dropped a driver, even though it shows the SD card just fine, so I tried it on 2 other puters. I think I zapped it, or it just wore out. I just ran a bootable CW card again, and ran the tool to rebuild the stock partition, and it's still not showing. I think the internal memory took a dump. I could always grab another 32GB card and run CM7 off of it... I'm still looking though.
Have you tried to load CM7 on it and see if the internal memory works from there.

You could try calling B&N and getting a replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie