Size of SD partition for Honycomb rooting

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
NOTE: I'm posting this here rather than in the rather long and painful rooting thread because after climbing through almost half of that thread and discovering that searching for this topic just shows the entire thread rather than taking peple to the specific issue, I also saw a BUNCH of people asking this question..so perhaps the moderators should consider putting the answer in the top message along with the basic instructions on rooting...

It appears that the disk image for making the honeycomb root is designed for a 4 gb card. This means if you use a larger card, the rest of the space remains unallocated. One of the responses said that using a different image generator would solve this..but it happened to be the image generator that the main thread says not to use for Honeycomb. After a few hours of trying to figure this out, one of the posts recommended using Parted Magic to expand the last partition to include the unallocated space. Since Parted Magic requires burning a bootable disk, I looked for something else, and found Minitool Partition Wizard. With that I was able to recover the lost space from the generated image.

Now with that said, here is something I was not sure about. The other three partitions are also quite small. I'm sure the boot partition is fine. But what about the system and data partitions? I considered expanding at least the data partition to give it more space and possibly the system one as well. But was not sure they needed it. I saved 2gb of unallocated space in case the consensus was that these partitions should get some more room. I could not determine which one gets downloaded apps, or if either of these are used for caching or data storage that could benefit from more allocated space. I'm using a 16gb card.

Any thoughts?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You really shouldn't be trying to ise honeycomb anyway. Google will not release the source code so it has many MAJOR bugs. Do yourself a major favor and use CM7

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Being a newbie at this I have no idea what CM7 is.

CM7 is the most used after market rom and is made for a ton of phones and tablets. It is based off gingerbread. CM7 for the nook has tablet tweaks that make it work almost like a honeycomb tablet. Instructions to install onto a SD card are here you'll just have to do a quick search. I would recommend that you use the latest nightly.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've found some info about it but I will NOT install over my existing rom, as I do still use the Nook side of things. What I found so far was a procedure for loading on internal memory. Not going to happen. Will keep looking. What I DID see is apparently the CM7 now enables the dormant bluetooth radio. That would be a good thing as soon as I can find an SD boot approach.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Also of you want the best experience use a Sandisk branded 8 or 16 gig class 2 or 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781