Trying to root new Nook Color with 1.4.

gopackjo

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I apologize if this has been brought up. I've tried looking through what I thought to be relevant posts, and I've tried searching. My guess is that either 1.4 or "1.4" is not searchable.

I bought a brand new NC with the intention of rooting it. I've tried a few different methods of installing CM7. Both attempting to root, and to load and run from the Micro SD card. I've used two different sizes of SanDisk cards 8gb and 32gb.

After setting things up as directed the Nook Color boots as normal. After booting fully, the NC does recognize the Micro SD card, and does allow me to access all files on it.

Is there a specific problem with 1.4?

I tried to Sideload an older version (1.0.1 or 1.1) onto the NC thinking that may allow me to root, but it will not recognize the zip file when loaded into the root directory.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Phil

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by 1.4

AFAIK, it is not available for the NC yet. BN web support page (today) says: "coming soon"

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
have you tried simply running Nookie (froyo) off of the Micro-SD card?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ba...new-version-run-nookie-froyo-off-sd-card.html

i'm not suggesting that's a long-term solution, but it would at least show you if the 1.4 can still run a boot image from the msd card or if it broke that permission.

CM7 is faster, better, and easier... http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1122944 also yeah, don't know how you got hold of 1.4.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

gopackjo

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by 1.4

AFAIK, it is not available for the NC yet. BN web support page (today) says: "coming soon"

I had a feeling it was new. I had no idea that I had a unicorn. :)

Software version: 1.4.0
Model number: BNTV250

I bought it from the local B&N a week ago today.

I will try FroYo booting from the Micro SD as an experiment, but I've got a sinking suspicion it won't work. I guess that I could purchase a 4th Micro SD card to try that as well.

Also, I am able to access the card after the NC boots normally. Is this ability to access the card also, a signal that it would work for the booting process as well? That's what's confusing me.

Thanks, Phil

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Gopac: (and any other interested parties):

After attempting to follow the steps outlined on this and other sites several times with mixed results, I ran across a sandisk microSD 8gig Clk 4 disk, preloaded with CM7, on Amazon. It is sold directly by them, and works like a charm. Faster and smoother by far. Also you get boot option choice on startup. $20 for disk and CM7/ with adapter.

Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Hope this helps! Cbill

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Gopac: (and any other interested parties):

After attempting to follow the steps outlined on this and other sites several times with mixed results, I ran across a sandisk microSD 8gig Clk 4 disk, preloaded with CM7, on Amazon. It is sold directly by them, and works like a charm. Faster and smoother by far. Also you get boot option choice on startup. $20 for disk and CM7/ with adapter.

Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Hope this helps! Cbill

It is not any faster or smoother.... They just steal CM's free code and sell it.
Anyway, what program are you using to burn the image? Try win32 disk imager and make sure to run as admin. Use CM7 NOT Nookie froyo.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Reactions: kcls

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Koopa: Why would you accuse someone of stealing something that is free? What is being sold on Amazon is the knowledge and effort that someone expended in putting together a MicroSD that will run a clean installation of CM7; in my opinion a steal for an extra $10.

I did not say it was faster or smoother than CM7 properly loaded to a microSD, by a person who is well versed in the proper installation technique and loading sequence. I am saying the Amazon disk load is faster and smoother (and more complete) than any I was able to achieve by trying to follow the various installation sequences posted on several different forums (I tried several).

Perhaps you would better understand what I and others have experienced if you just paid a visit to several of the various forums and ran through the sometimes seriously outdated, contradictory, confusing and just plain misleading directions that are out there.

I am sure you are a well learned computer person that is very familiar with the Android OS, and the process required to accomplish the task of making a CM7 microSD. However, I think it somewhat presumptuous on your part that what you see as clear and to the point is just as understandable by others that are less informed.

I used CM7, win32 disk imager, et al. Accomplished installation twice. both unstable or incompete(lacked functions). Total time spent, about 16 hours.

Cbill
Background experience-25 years working with and building computers.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CM7 is faster, better, and easier... http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1122944 also yeah, don't know how you got hold of 1.4.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

didn't say it was better--just an option to "see if the micro-sd slot works" :)

in fact i'm running cm7 on the NC & couldn't agree more with you that it's better. it was just more simple to load onto the NC than CM7--i had more problems w/ CM7&gapps than nookie froyo.

cm7+gapps=1 hr (after problems w/ multiple conflicting instructions & several re-formatting card processes). also, immediately after flashing CM7--the NC would shut down and wouldn't turn back on. i thought it'd boot straight into CM7 after flashing it--but apparently, for me as least, the code requests a ShutDown of the device & then after 10 minutes it finally let me power it back on to find the CM7 boot animation.
nookie=10 minutes. no problems.
(yes, i blame the instructions--i'm familiar with rooting)

JonMark#AC

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So let me make sure I understand correctly - if you're running 1.4 you can still use CM7 with the dual boot on the SD card? Just wanting to make sure because my grandfather after seeing my Nook running android wanted one for Christmas and I wanted to make sure I could still do that to his if he got one already running 1.4?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
So let me make sure I understand correctly - if you're running 1.4 you can still use CM7 with the dual boot on the SD card? Just wanting to make sure because my grandfather after seeing my Nook running android wanted one for Christmas and I wanted to make sure I could still do that to his if he got one already running 1.4?

Yes

cstritt

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nook Color that I had bought about 1 year ago. Back in July or August, I successfully rooted my NC using an 8 gb SD card, WINImage32, CM7 Version 7.0.2, and gapps. I loved it! I had different android apps downloaded on it and close to 100 books. I used it every day, would put it on stand-by, and charged it once a day until last weekend. I became sick late Thursday night and didn't use my NC from Thursday night until I picked it up on Sunday afternoon. When I tried to power it up I received a message that the battery power was too low to boot up. I shut it off and charged it. When I tried to boot it up it wouldn't. I ended up re-installing the NC software, updating it, then re-installing CM7. When I tried to load in the NC for android and the Kindle app, I got the message that they were not compatible with my device. I thought I might have done something wrong and went through all the steps again and got the same results. I can download some of my favorite apps but I keep getting the same message when I try to install the NC or Kindle app. I finally broke down and re-installed the NC software and updated it so I could at least get my books from BN but I hate it. I can't install any of my favorite android apps or games so I am back to a straight reader with short battery life. Any ideas how I can re-install CM7 and install the reader apps for NC and Kindle? Please help me. Thank you.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nook Color that I had bought about 1 year ago. Back in July or August, I successfully rooted my NC using an 8 gb SD card, WINImage32, CM7 Version 7.0.2, and gapps. I loved it! I had different android apps downloaded on it and close to 100 books. I used it every day, would put it on stand-by, and charged it once a day until last weekend. I became sick late Thursday night and didn't use my NC from Thursday night until I picked it up on Sunday afternoon. When I tried to power it up I received a message that the battery power was too low to boot up. I shut it off and charged it. When I tried to boot it up it wouldn't. I ended up re-installing the NC software, updating it, then re-installing CM7. When I tried to load in the NC for android and the Kindle app, I got the message that they were not compatible with my device. I thought I might have done something wrong and went through all the steps again and got the same results. I can download some of my favorite apps but I keep getting the same message when I try to install the NC or Kindle app. I finally broke down and re-installed the NC software and updated it so I could at least get my books from BN but I hate it. I can't install any of my favorite android apps or games so I am back to a straight reader with short battery life. Any ideas how I can re-install CM7 and install the reader apps for NC and Kindle? Please help me. Thank you.

You need to update your CM version to the 7.1 stable or above. Or just change your dpi to 160.

lazulisong

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having nearly the same problem -- I make a boot disk with CM7 (I'm on Ubuntu so that was fun times for a minute), it goes through the entire boot/install sequence, and then it boots the Nook system. And then the next time I turn on the nook it just totally ignores the CM7 stuff and skips merrily to READ FOREVER.

I'm running the 1.4.1 firmware, PNY 8G disk, class 4 I believe. :-\ I've completely reformatted and redone the disk twice. Any suggestions?

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Found this on XDA, seems to fix all the rooting and market issues.

1. I started from a 1.4.1 update that had been MN to 4.6.16a and then 4-12-16-test.
2. Then updated to MN 5-12-18
3. Market, Amazon App Store, and BN store all work perfect. Downloading and installing apps.
4. Gmail works.
5. Whole new, cool "welcome" screen.
6. Cant find how to get live wallpapers to work just yet.
7. Everything else is perfect
O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)