need help rooting nook 1.2

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
there has to be some sort of updated method or something. the last posts i see are 7 months old.

i have a supposed new nook in an unopened box. i say supposed becuase the software is 1.2 and i see that 1.4 is the latest version.

anyways. i've done everything i can find to get this thing rooted and to install the amazon and everything else.

i used to be able to get into CWM. but nothing worked. didn't matter what opion i clicked on. all i got was the little character. with half circle.

but NOW. for whatever reason. i can't even get into CWM.

i've followed every thread i could find on here and google. if there's a surefire method i'd sure like to know what it is.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Snowwy: Your Request is a bit unclear. Do you mean you have been trying an internal root? Or have you been trying an SD card CM 7 installation? Are you saying you cannot even boot into stock Nook Color? If you can boot into stock Nook you can easily upgrade to 1.4 by going to B&N\support\Nook Color\downloads\upgrade.(That might not be exact but it is close) Full instructions are there.

For your information, I have been using Amazons' "Root My Nook" Sandisk Micro SD card, and it has work flawlessly for me. Put it in, boot it up, and follow the simple directions. Was running CM 7 in less than 15 minutes. It just works! I am also exploring internal root options; but in the interum, I am enjoying my Nook Color with CM 7 (it also has a switch in boot up allowing boot to stock NC or CM 7.) If you give this a try please provide feedback.

Hope this helps. Cbill

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i'm trying to do the internal root with cwm. using the sd card method. my sister wants the kindle app and whatever else that may come with the process. she's not too hip on sticking only with B & N.

the only thing i've been able to accomplish was a backup. it loaded some of the files but the end result was that it couldn't find the sd card.

i wanted to back up the stock software before rooting. but since that only backup atttemtp. i just haven't been able to get any functionality from the sd card. it boots into recovery but that's all.

i see the rootmynook thing. has to be ordered for a price.
is there no way to download and make our own?

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Snowwy: Yes, one can make their own CM 7 Micro disk. But the road to accomplishment appears to have numerous pitfalls. One being, one must have the right MicroSD in order to be successful.

The one that seems to be most successful is the Sandisk 8 Gig, Clk4. This card is $15 with SD adapter at Best Buy. The Sandisk 8 Gig, Clk 4 micro SD and adapter, with Root my Nook installed is $20 from Amazon.

I tried making my own Micro SD on 4 different Micro SD cards (none Sandisk) with varying degrees of success, with none stable, before deciding if I was going to have to purchase the Sandisk Micro SD, I might as well gamble a few more bucks for the "Root my Nook" preload. And it has paid off.

Don't know what else to tell you. I would never have done this if the card had not been a product being sold by Amazon, and not a third party. I still plan on finding how to make my own Micro SD cards, as updates, and improvements keep coming out, but, as I said before, in the interum I have a great little Android/NC tablet.

Since your sister is going to be using this N/C, I am sure you would like it to be stable and dependable. In my opinion this is the easiest and quickest way to achieve both. That would take care of her needs , and you could, then, work on developing the methodology needed to make your own disks, without pressure.

Keep me posted, the best of luck!

Cbill

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
i'm trying to do the internal root with cwm. using the sd card method. my sister wants the kindle app and whatever else that may come with the process. she's not too hip on sticking only with B & N.

the only thing i've been able to accomplish was a backup. it loaded some of the files but the end result was that it couldn't find the sd card.

i wanted to back up the stock software before rooting. but since that only backup atttemtp. i just haven't been able to get any functionality from the sd card. it boots into recovery but that's all.

i see the rootmynook thing. has to be ordered for a price.
is there no way to download and make our own?

Ok Im going to clear a few things up. Yes you can easily make your own card using the awesome guide on this forum. I have explained in another thread about why those cards aren't a good idea.

Now onto your 1.2 root. What version of Manual Nooter are you trying to use? Also what is the SD card brand and class?

Sent from space

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i've got samsung and sandisk. nooter doesn't matter at the moment. gotta get the cwm to work first.

but sinc you asked. i've got the later version. that doesn't require the update from the previous version. since it has 1.2 and not 1.3

i've got honeycomb running from the sd card right now. tried 2 different versions. and neither one has anything to run. and the original version was 466 megs compared to the second version only being 190 megs. basically it's just the OS with nothing to use except the basics.

and i'm not very tech savy to use that adb just to get the market place installed.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ah! The "My way or the highway" KoopaKid has found us. The self proclaimed, all knowing Sage of the N/C rooting brigade. I see you are still verbally degrading products and techniques of which you have no first hand knowledge.

As I recall that was the exact thing you did to me when you first saw my suggestion to another N/C owner. As I remember it you immediately started calling me a nefarious "troll" trying to drum up business for myself. You then went on to make rediculous statements about how Amazons' "Root my Nook" product " was stolen" from the original developers when, in fact, it was given to the public for free, and the "Root my Nook" producers simply went to the extra effort of packaging it in a manner that resulted in a smooth and problemless installation.

You then spewed your diatribe about the possibility of getting a virus or malware by buying the preloaded disk. Obviously you do not know much about Amazons' reputation; or for that matter the possiblity of getting malware from many sources including the"Android Market".

No doubt one can build their own MicroSD card. I have never denied that in any manner. It just is not , in many cases, as simple as you like to make it sound. The forum threads on this subject attest to that.

My personal belief is that you would be doing a lot of people a greater service by not continually encouraging them, in every case to make their own card.

It may be great for your ego, but it is not always the best for the individuals involved.

Snowwy, I can help you no more. The decision on the path to take is yours.

Best of Luck!

Cbill

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
i've got samsung and sandisk. nooter doesn't matter at the moment. gotta get the cwm to work first.

but sinc you asked. i've got the later version. that doesn't require the update from the previous version. since it has 1.2 and not 1.3

i've got honeycomb running from the sd card right now. tried 2 different versions. and neither one has anything to run. and the original version was 466 megs compared to the second version only being 190 megs. basically it's just the OS with nothing to use except the basics.

and i'm not very tech savy to use that adb just to get the market place installed.

Ok for the SD card use the Sandisk. Instead of Honeycomb (it wasn't open source so it is very buggy and incomplete) use CM7 and follow the guide here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=105519 you should be able to get things set up nicely.

Sent from space

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ah! The "My way or the highway" KoopaKid has found us. The self proclaimed, all knowing Sage of the N/C rooting brigade. I see you are still verbally degrading products and techniques of which you have no first hand knowledge.

As I recall that was the exact thing you did to me when you first saw my suggestion to another N/C owner. As I remember it you immediately started calling me a nefarious "troll" trying to drum up business for myself. You then went on to make rediculous statements about how Amazons' "Root my Nook" product " was stolen" from the original developers when, in fact, it was given to the public for free, and the "Root my Nook" producers simply went to the extra effort of packaging it in a manner that resulted in a smooth and problemless installation.

You then spewed your diatribe about the possibility of getting a virus or malware by buying the preloaded disk. Obviously you do not know much about Amazons' reputation; or for that matter the possiblity of getting malware from many sources including the"Android Market".

No doubt one can build their own MicroSD card. I have never denied that in any manner. It just is not , in many cases, as simple as you like to make it sound. The forum threads on this subject attest to that.

My personal belief is that you would be doing a lot of people a greater service by not continually encouraging them, in every case to make their own card.

It may be great for your ego, but it is not always the best for the individuals involved.

Snowwy, I can help you no more. The decision on the path to take is yours.

Best of Luck!

Cbill

When have I ever called myself the all knowing sage of whatever?

I know all about Malware and how overblown the whole ANDROID HAS MALWARE OH NOES media is. I said in my comment that is was unlikely but possible but you obviously didn't read that far or you felt to include only part of what I said.

Yes, it is simple. You get the card. You stick it in your computer. You open up WIN32DiskImager as Admin. You burn the 1.3 installer and you drag over the CM7 and gapps zips and put it in your nook. The end. It took me all of 2 minutes to set up a card for my brother.

Sent from space

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
well, finally got somewhere. it's a start.

it loaded, but wouldn't go past the cm7.1 bootscreen once it was loaded.

my card read is MIA so i've been using my old evo that no longer gets used. gonna buy a new sandisk and card reader and see what happens.

stay tuned.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
well, finally got somewhere. it's a start.

it loaded, but wouldn't go past the cm7.1 bootscreen once it was loaded.

my card read is MIA so i've been using my old evo that no longer gets used. gonna buy a new sandisk and card reader and see what happens.

stay tuned.

Yeah, burning through a phone has never worked for anyone very well. Good luck!

Sent from space

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i bought an 8gig class 4 sandisk, and 8gig pny class 10. any preference?
that was all walmart had. didn't have time to see what bestbuy had.

Last edited:

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
i bought an 8gig class 4 sandisk, and 8gig pny class 10. any preference?
that was all walmart had. didn't have time to see what bestbuy had.

Use the Sandisk. It is a million times better because of the increased random read/write speeds.Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Sent from space