[HOW-TO] Work-arounds for issues with stock Nook Color ROM

hitman-_-45-_-

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Credit goes to Will Shanklin.

Since the same questions seem to be getting asked a lot, here are some methods for getting past stock NookColor ROM limitations in a single thread:

1. How do I keep wifi from turning off when the screen goes to sleep?

- download Spare Parts from the market and set wifi sleep policy to never.

. . . mixed results have been reported with this method, but this appears to be the best known fix at the moment.

2. I restored and re-rooted, now I can't log in to my B&N account!

- get NookColorTools app (if not installed during root, it's on xda). Under All Settings, open the 2nd (of 3) setting called Wireless near the bottom. This will begin their registration process again.

3. How do I install a different keyboard?

- if it's in the market, first purchase/install it-- if it's a stand-alone apk, skip that and move on to the next paragraph. If you just downloaded it from the market, find the apk somewhere in data/app/ and copy from there.

Now place the app's apk (Root Explorer works great) in system/app (mount system as r-w first). Reboot. Then open your trusty NookColorTools, select keyboard, and you should be able to switch to it. Not all keyboards are currently working, but this is a great way to find out if it does that doesn't require renaming or deleting your current keyboard.

4. How do I get Swype on here?

- right now, you can't. Swype requires a copy that matches your device's resolution, and the only version of Swype that matches ours (1024x600) is the copy that ships with the Galaxy Tab, but, to my knowledge, nobody has gotten it completely working on here without causing major system crashes (not to mention the apk couldn't be posted on xda even if it was eventually hacked to work).

SlideIT keyboard is another trace keyboard that DOES work on the NookColor, and I've been very happy with it (it's come a long way since I tried it last summer and quickly uninstalled it). The method in #3 above should work to install it.

5. Wait, I can't copy and paste on the NookColor??

- not through the OS, no. There is a solution though. It involves getting an app called Copy Paste It from the market (paid, but there's a trial version). You'll probably need to set it to rotate clockwise (in settings), or it'll get screwy.

When you want to copy, activate the function from the notification, and it'll let you frame the text to copy:

ad7a43a9-813d-c53b.jpg

The second part, pasting, requires having a keyboard with a Paste setting in it. Again, SlideIT has this on the special characters keyboard (I'm not a troll for SlideIT, just a happy customer). I'm not sure which other keyboards have this feature, if any (if you know, post, and I'll update this). Assuming you have a keyboard with paste, it'll paste what the Copy Paste It app copied.

6. Why is everything on my screen so small?

- this is because the NookColor's stock LCD density is 169.333, which is pretty low (Galaxy Tab is 240). Unlike resolution, which is hardware-based, density is software-based and can be changed. If you search the market for LCD density, there are a couple apps that will do this--a free one that won't survive a hard reboot, and a paid one that (supposedly) will.

If you want to make it permanent for free, you can edit your build.prop file. Again, use Root Explorer to open system/build.prop (BACKUP FIRST!), find the following two lines:

ro.sf.lcd_density.xdpi=169.33333
ro.sf.lcd_density.ydpi=169.33333

If you wanted your density to be 250, you'd replace them with the following single line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=250

Save the edited file, and reboot.

Here are two of my Galaxy Tab-esque homescreens set to 250:

ad7a43a9-7cc5-be89.jpg

ad7a43a9-7cf5-34ea.jpg

. . . Now, jacking up your LCD density much above 200 will make your status bar look wonky and cut-off. One solution for this is to set it to 250, like above (by changing build.prop - I think the apps I mentioned only allow multiples of 20), which will make it look clean (as long as wifi is on). The only problem there is that you'll lose your status bar clock and Notifications in portrait mode . . .

. . . the solution for THIS is to get two apps: hellostatusbar, and quick launch. Set quick launch to open hellostatusbar on a home- button double press, and it will display your Notifications.

Also note that raising the density can cut-off parts of the stock Barnes & Noble software (they're designed for the lower density), so this mod is probably better for people like me who use the Kindle app and ezPDF for reading.

7. If I don't want to use softkeys, can I remap the hardware buttons to do something different?

Yes. In Root Explorer, navigate to system/usr/keylayout, make a backup of TWL4030_Keypad.kl, then open the original with text editor and change the entry for key 115 ( volume up) and/or key 114 (volume down) with something like BACK, MENU, or SEARCH. Save the file. Reboot, and they'll be whatever you changed the entry to.

If you want easy volume controls after remapping these buttons, a market app called Volumer++ can be set to live in your notifications for easy access. Otherwise, you can change them from settings.

8. How do I set my wallpaper so that the resolution looks good?

- I used a market app called Wallpaper Set & Save. It's easy, and resolution looks great. I think it cuts off the image a little bit, but not much. I think this method will suffice for many people, but if you want it to be sized perfectly, do the following (credit to swapdotavi for the instructions):

[Get an image that is at least 1200x1024, crop it (without scaling) to 1200x1024. If you're using Photoshop, copy the entire image, then create a new file sized 1200x1024. Then paste the image and use the arrow to drag it around to whatever looks best to you. Save the file as a .png, transfer to your nook, and use Wallpaper Set & Save to choose the new file.]

. . . Since we share the same resolution with the Galaxy Tab, the wallpapers that came with it look phenomenal (in my opinion) on the NookColor. Follow this link to pick them up:
Original Galaxy Tab Wallpapers - Galaxy Tab Wallpapers

9. Can I change the lockscreen slider to look like stock Android or Sense?

- yes - get an app called WidgetLocker. Set it to look how you want. Then, under Behavior, set Homehelper as your system home. Still under Behavior, go to Home to Launch, and pick your real launcher (Launcherpro, ADW, etc.). Also, under Advanced, be sure to check both the Root Bypass of 5 Second Rule, and Retain Keyguard.

ad7a43a9-8181-845d.jpg

10. My NookColor seems sluggish - is there a way to speed it up?

Most of you will already know this, but Setcpu is a market app that can speed things up and improve battery life. CPU Tuner is a free alternative that's similar, but I've had more experience with setcpu, and can vouch much more for it.

My recommended settings:

Min 600
Max 800
Governor: OnDemand
check 'set on boot'

... And one profile enabled:

Screen Off
Min 300
Max 600
Governor: Ondemand

... And another optional setting (for even a little more extra zip):

under Advanced:
change "Up Threshold" to 35

These are just settings that work for me. Feel free to experiment. Also, some people were having their Nook randomly reboot, and changing the governor from conservative to ondemand helped.

11. Any other battery-saving tips?

In case you missed the rival xda threads arguing over who thought of it first, there was a potentially useful battery-saving trick in there:

Go back in Root Explorer, and in system/app, mount as r-w and rename Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to anything else (adding .bak onto the end would be fine).

Basically, you're removing android system files that may be wasting juice looking for a non-existent cell service. It's unsure if or how much this actually improves battery life, but it very well could, and it certainly won't hurt anything changing their names.

12. Why aren't my favorite live wallpapers working?

I'm not sure, but here's how to get the rest of them going:

Download this file: http://db.tt/ur0c98s

It will fail installing, but if you use Root Explorer, copy it from your download directory, go to system/app, set as r-w... Then long-press on any file in that directory, and look at its permissions. Now paste your LiveWallpapers.apk there and change its permissions to match the others. Your live wallpapers should work now!

ad7afca3-9e5d-64b5.jpg

The Nexus wallpaper won't work, but just install Nexus Revamped from the market - it's identical, it's free, and it has customization.

If you're using one of the more system-intensive Live Wallpapers (like "Water"), I'd recommend using all of the Setcpu changes from #10 above to keep things snappy (also know that LWP's can drain battery quicker).

13. How can I get my Google contacts in here?

If you aren't concerned with them showing up in the B&N Contacts app, and are more interested in having them come up as auto-suggestions when typing an email address or Google Voice text number, there's a way (credit to jadambpharm):

- Go to gmail on the web, click on contacts (left side), then More Actions, then Export. Choose .vcard format. Transfer that file to your SD card.

- get a Market app on your Nook called Import Contacts. Point it to the contacts.vcard file you just got, and they'll now come up for auto-fill suggestions!

I'll update as I think of more. Enjoy your modestly-priced, unintentional Android tablets!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I did the battery trick (rename Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk) and was able to stream Slacker Radio via wifi for about 7 hours nonstop and only lost around 25% battery life..

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm bumping this thread because the content of the OP was by me, copied by lopezpm (with my permission--he was very polite to ask) from a different site--but I'm now working with Android Central, so I hope it helps here!!

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Heck yeah it helps! the keyboard install tip works greats with SlideIT trial without renaming it. using it now as a matter of fact. planning to try some of the other tips soon too

Reactions: Will Shanklin

csprite

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the opposite problem to 1. I need the nook to NEVER try to connect to wifi, even in the browser standard bn browser. Thoughts?

Thanks. This is a great hack and a great followup!

Rsilvier

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Root Explorer won't allow me to change the LCD values?
Never mind, I downloaded LCD Density, it worked, but I didn't like the change.

Last edited:

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have launcher Pro installed (free version) and I can't get any of the default shortcuts on the dock to change. I can't even add shortcuts. When i try to add or change a shortcut it just dumps me back out to the homescreen.

Also the icon for stock Noon that takes you to your current book does not work at all...any suggestions?

EDIT: I took Launcher Pro off the Nook and now the icon for current reading works...puzzled...???

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have launcher Pro installed (free version) and I can't get any of the default shortcuts on the dock to change. I can't even add shortcuts. When i try to add or change a shortcut it just dumps me back out to the homescreen.

Also the icon for stock Noon that takes you to your current book does not work at all...any suggestions?

EDIT: I took Launcher Pro off the Nook and now the icon for current reading works...puzzled...???

The not being able to change your dock shortcuts is a bug with Launcher Pro on the stock Nook ROM right now. The only solution I know of is to set it up how you want on a different android device, back up via LP, transfer that backup to your NC and restore there.

Reactions: ClintRo

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The not being able to change your dock shortcuts is a bug with Launcher Pro on the stock Nook ROM right now. The only solution I know of is to set it up how you want on a different android device, back up via LP, transfer that backup to your NC and restore there.

Sounds like I should use another Launcher???

jon1371usmc

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
In reference to the widgetlocker app, when i click on the grid just above the nav bar, it will take me to all my apps. However, the problem is that when it does, my apps are all distorted. I can use the extras function and my apps look normal. Is there a fix for this? Thanks

Edit: Okay, it seems my nook just did not like the launcher software. ADWLauncherEX solved the problem.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have one weird problem where some of my dialog boxes in various settings/info etc.. where instead of black the text is a shade of white slightly brighter than the box itself so I can barley read it or some are unreadable at all so I just get a blank box where text should be. I guess the text is the same as the background.

This happens on only some of the settings, the others are normal text, it is weird.

Anyone else get this? I am unsure why it does this only on some of the text and the rest is fine.

Any system settings I can change to make that text the same as the majority or even a different color so I can at least read it?

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I now have a new issue. I was playing a labyrinth game.
https://market.android.com/details?id=se.illusionlabs.labyrinth.lite

While in 3D mode my screen is shaking all over the place. Going into the calibration section I see that my accelerometer is bouncing all over the place so that is causing it. Just putting it on a table and it not being moved at all they shake.

Do I have bad hardware or is this normal for the Nook since it is rooted? Did they simply use a cheap one?

Anyway to fix this?

Could someone also install this and tell me if they get the same results?

Last edited:

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know how to get a working google search widget, without using something like launcher pro? The stock search widget just searches the nook by default, unless you scroll all the way down and hit web.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes