FROYO and root question

gregh

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
does running FROYO off the SD card have all the same abilities as rooting? what are the things it cant do "yet"? thx

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
does running FROYO off the SD card have all the same abilities as rooting? what are the things it cant do "yet"? thx

I'd say most of the features on a rooted stock ROM are there, plus more.

Some of the things nookie froyo can't do yet:

- YouTube app won't play videos (see work-arounds in nookie tips thread)

- Flash runs a little choppy on some sites (until hardware acceleration is unlocked, it'll be that way). Of course, the stock ROM can't run Flash at all.

- It has problems playing Pandora and some audio files

- Market downloads can sometimes be extremely slow (this MIGHT be remedied by a faster SD card)

- Network location isn't enabled yet, so Google Maps, for example, doesn't know where you are unless you manually enter your address

Of course all of this will presumably be 'fixed' in future updates. I find it very usable right now, but others might want to hold off for a while longer.

gregh

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd say most of the features on a rooted stock ROM are there, plus more.

Some of the things nookie froyo can't do yet:

- YouTube app won't play videos (see work-arounds in nookie tips thread)

- Flash runs a little choppy on some sites (until hardware acceleration is unlocked, it'll be that way). Of course, the stock ROM can't run Flash at all.

- It has problems playing Pandora and some audio files

- Market downloads can sometimes be extremely slow (this MIGHT be remedied by a faster SD card)

- Network location isn't enabled yet, so Google Maps, for example, doesn't know where you are unless you manually enter your address

Of course all of this will presumably be 'fixed' in future updates. I find it very usable right now, but others might want to hold off for a while longer.

which card do you find best to use (8GB and 16GB versions)? when new FROYO updates come out, i can simply format the card and update it to the newest version right? (and having to reinstall all apps on the SD card)

pjjanak

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Also note that the stock Nook ROM's software won't be on there. You can use the Nook app that is in the market, but it's not quite the same.

Peter

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis