[TIPS] NEW - Pre-rooted 1.1.0 update/disable 1.1 auto update (and keep root)

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how long the update will take to download and will it be located and downloaded right when my nook connects to the web? I'm asking because I'm cheap and haven't put up the money for Root Explorer. I figure I should get it now, since I have enough reasons to purchase it now. I'm just worried that while I'm getting it from the market on the nook, the update will download. So, if I purchase it on my phone, can I then side load it onto my nook? Or can I go to their website and download it from there and side load it that way, since my phone is not rooted? Thanks for the help!

Updates seem sporadic, so I doubt it would just start updating right when you're trying to get Root Explorer . . . but I also wouldn't wait too long before doing these tricks.

sdown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did the root explorer method. Doesn't seem to have worked. I went to settings/about my book/software says 1.0.0. Can i get some help? Thanks in advance

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I did the root explorer method. Doesn't seem to have worked. I went to settings/about my book/software says 1.0.0. Can i get some help? Thanks in advance

Did you do both methods? The second one is what will tell you you're on 1.1. I'd say check your steps again, make sure everything reads exactly as it does in the OP.

I doubt your being on 1.0 instead of 1.0.1 would make a difference, but who knows?

vetteman30

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I did both updates and checked the edits and they seem to be exactly what is in the OP. I got an update icon in the notification bar but in checking Device info it says I am still on 1.0.1. Oh well I guess we'll see what happens.

subcan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well... It took two tries and I got the NC to say that I am now v.1.1.0
Now I will sit and hope that I do not get updated anyways... losing my ever loved root.
Regardless there will be an update to nooter soon... those guys are pretty good at getting things done.
Thanks for the steps to getting this done.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, not so great news

I hope I am miskaken, but I believe this method of avoiding the update has also stopped my two nooks from being able to sync with the BN library. Meaning I just bought two books from the BN web site and I can't get them to show up on either nook I have. I am reporting this beacuse it happened to both nooks and am hoping others who have used this hack can confirm or deny the problem

thanks!

hitman-_-45-_-

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Rebooted and tried again though Root Explorer via Text Ext and got the same error message again. Yes I'm rooted......hmmmm very frustrating!

And your clicking on the "Mount R/W" button. Another way you can do it is to copy the file out modify it and rename the original as .bak or whatever then paste the modified app in there.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope I am miskaken, but I believe this method of avoiding the update has also stopped my two nooks from being able to sync with the BN library. Meaning I just bought two books from the BN web site and I can't get them to show up on either nook I have. I am reporting this beacuse it happened to both nooks and am hoping others who have used this hack can confirm or deny the problem

thanks!

Which Method?? The first or the second has prevented you from downloading new books?

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I get the update and it breaks root, does that mean I lose all of the apps and market or does that just mean I lose the ability to install apps and muck around with the settings?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So I get the update and it breaks root, does that mean I lose all of the apps and market or does that just mean I lose the ability to install apps and muck around with the settings?

Some said they kept everything, but just no longer have root access. Of course apps like softkeys, setcpu, and Root Explorer all require root access.

OP UPDATED:

There's now a pre-rooted version of the update, which is flashable via clockwork mod recovery. This appears to be a great way to avoid having root broken, while still getting the benefits of the update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante