Noobie Question

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did search and can't find.

I really want a NC but I'm really no techie.....I can find my way around a computer and I can follow instructions, so I don't think I would have a problem rooting.

Question is,,,how often do you have to re-root to keep the NC running as a tablet. I really don't want to have to do this once a week.

Tks in advance for your responses.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Once, I believe. You only run into trouble where you have BN release an update. Check out the threads where people rooted with the stock ROM at 1.01 and then BN released the 1.1 update. If you root with that, you should be set for a while.

--edit - hold off on that comment about 1.1 being able to root. Let me check that out.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did search and can't find.

I really want a NC but I'm really no techie.....I can find my way around a computer and I can follow instructions, so I don't think I would have a problem rooting.

Question is,,,how often do you have to re-root to keep the NC running as a tablet. I really don't want to have to do this once a week.

Tks in advance for your responses.

If you really don't want to spend a bit of time disabling OTA updates and manually applying them then rooting the NC may not be for you. Check out the Samsung tab for $399 or so. It is designed as a tablet from the ground up.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
If you really don't want to spend a bit of time disabling OTA updates and manually applying them then rooting the NC may not be for you. Check out the Samsung tab for $399 or so. It is designed as a tablet from the ground up.

Is that $399 a 2 year subsided price? If you want to take the route of a device designed as a tablet from the ground up, you should wait for the XOOM which runs on Honeycomb.

I bought my wife a Galaxy Tab, but I prefer the NC. It's cheaper and I just use the nookie approach (SD card). Works fine for me.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

The cheapest Galaxy Tab I have found has been 499 and that is tied in with a two year contact. Don't really want to spent that much and I sure don't want to be tied in to a particular carrier. That's what intrigues me so much about the NC.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
So running Nookie off of a card it runs as a tab, pull the card and reboot and its the stock Nook Color, correct?

Yes. You need a reasonably fast card. At least a class 6. There's a sticky on it. There are a few quirks, like when you boot there is lag, but lock the screen and unlock and it's fine. If the performance with the nookie approach is too slow, you can go the internal route.

xda-developers.com is a really good sight also.