Before I start...a Few Questions.

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've decided to pull the trigger and get a Nook Color..and using it as a lightweight tablet..but I have some "noobie" questions...
I haven't seen any of these questions answered, or asked, so they might helps others too..
How well does Adobe Flash work on the NookColor? I want to have the ability to look at videos online, from Amazon VOD, and Cbs.com, among others... will they play ok?
How about games? Could i Put EA's Need for Speed shift on it?

Lastly, can Froyo be installed directly on the device so that it always boots to it?
thanks!

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I'll try to answer while we wait for someone who actually knows what they are talking about to come along... :p

The "real" version of Flash only runs on Android 2.2 or better, doesn't it? The NC, as shipped, is running 2.1. I think that limits you to "Flash Lite" or something. That might be good enough for you. (Or, I might be completely confused!) If and when you upgrade to Froyo 2.2, you should be golden.

Many games work. Not sure about NFS.

Yes, there are versions of Froyo that can be installed internally. They seem a bit "early" right now, with a decent number of people complaining of issues. However, some people are having good luck. Myself, I think I'll let things shake out for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok i forgot to add some things...
The three main things I'd like to be able to do is install the Kindle app, the Slacker Radio app. and the Twitter app called PLUME.
Are both of these do-able without going to froyo?

As far as flash, I really want the ability to watch shows from CBS.com on the device...if they work in Flash lite, the great..just want the best experience!

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with any of those apps specifically, but my guess is that you'll be able to use them one way or another.

Also, I may have mis-understood your first question, about installing Froyo so it "always boots". Right now, there are two ways to install Froyo: You can flash it to the internal memory, overwriting B&N's version of Eclair that was installed at the factory. Or, you can buy a micro SDHC card, and install Froyo onto that.

In both cases, Froyo will come up automatically after a boot. However in the second case, you have the option of shutting down and then removing the SD card. After you've done that, the Nook will boot into the internal version of Eclair again.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok i forgot to add some things...
The three main things I'd like to be able to do is install the Kindle app, the Slacker Radio app. and the Twitter app called PLUME.
Are both of these do-able without going to froyo?

As far as flash, I really want the ability to watch shows from CBS.com on the device...if they work in Flash lite, the great..just want the best experience!

I've run both Slacker and the Kindle app, but haven't tried PLUME.. I don't see why PLUME wouldn't work. Slacker seems to run pretty good, but unable to cache stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34