[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

jsthrower

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The nook for android is a little buggy. Mine also crashes when I exit a book, but I just deal with it because I don't exit the book often I simply bring up the apps button and go to a different program, they are going to run in the background anyway.

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have honeycomb up and working on an SD card, trying to install the Market but, how do I find the adb tools folder? I can not find it anywhere. Can some one point me in the right direction please.

REF BELOW:

4. Power down your Nook, insert the microSD card, and it should boot into Honeycomb!!!!!!

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

Last edited:

jsthrower

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
to find the file on your computer you need to install Easy USB ADB combo for windows from here:
[DRIVER PACK] Easy USB ADB Installer for Windows (32/64 bit) - xda-developers

read the post for instructions.

That will install what you need on your computer for getting the market and getting the right driver. Open device manager on your computer and make sure you have an android device listed and not an icon for nook with a yellow ! mark. If you have the mark you will need to pdate the driver by pointing it to the drivers folder in the platform- tools folder that you just installed on your c drive.

jsthrower

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Step by Step suggested by Fedderjohn

After reading massive post I finally figured out how this is done so here is every step, most copied and pasted from the original contributors on the forum with some clarification for those as clueless as I was at the time.

STEP ONE ... IMAGE THE CARD

Here's how to get Honeycomb running on your Nook Color (windows).

1- Download and Install the version of Winimage for your PC operating system here: It should create two icon on the desktop…one will be administrator (the one you will be using)
Download WinImage

2- Go here: Download nookhoney04.img.zip … link in first part of post.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...oad-install-honeycomb-nook-color-sd-card.html

Unzip the nookhoney04.img.zip file onto your computer (desktop) It was zipped with winrar but it will probably unzip with any zip program.

Get an SD card, at least 4GB.

Put your micro sd card into your card reader and hook to your computer. Be aware of the drive letter so you know exactly what drive it is.

Open winimage and under 'Disk' choose the drive letter of your card…reopen “Disk” again and select "Restore Virtual Image to Physical Drive." This will bring up a window that shows drives to select. It is important that you select the right drive!!!! If multiple drives are listed look for the one that represents the card that’s the right size. A new window will open to allow you to locate your image file (on desktop). You will need to change the files shown at the bottom to "all files" and select the honeycomb04.img file. This will bring up a warning window. Make sure at this time you only have the warning window and the main winimage window open, close all others in the background “ to keep from getting an error about file being used by another program”. If you are sure you have the right sdcard drive selected hit ok and the image will start to burn. Takes about 10 minutes or so. Once finished close winimage and properly eject sdcard from your computer .

Make sure the nook is completely off..install the card and turn it on to see if it boots. You’ll see a flash…loading…small print android in lower left corner…then android logo center screen…then it will open to the main android screen. Click the circle with the lock in it then slide your finger over the new lock..The program opens to some icons. Notice the market is not one of them. That’s the next step.

STEP TWO ... INSTALL ADB AND DRIVERS

Cool… So did you check and make sure your wifi worked.

Okay go here and download nookcolor-easy USB ADB combo pack: There are directions there but I think mine are clearer FOR THOSE WHO ARE UNSURE WHAT IS GOING ON……

[DRIVER PACK] Easy USB ADB Installer for Windows (32/64 bit) - xda-developers

Instructions for use with combo pack (please read!):
1. Download the combo pack nookcolor-easyADB combo pack
2. With your NookColor unplugged from your PC, run the nookcolor-easyADB.exe file and allow it to extract to c:\ (make sure you just put on the C drive…not in any folder on the C drive)
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait until you see "All done!" (This will create a folder on your C drive called android-sdk-windows…..)
4. Plug in your NookColor, tell Windows not to use Windows Update, and let it search your computer for the proper drivers. THIS IS WHERE I HAD ISSUES. .. WINDOWS DID WHAT IT WANTED AND LOADED THE WRONG DRIVER. I OPENED DEVICE MANAGER AND FOUND A LISTING FOR NOOK WITH A YELLOW ! MARK. I CLICKED ON IT TO THE AND GOT THE SUBFOLDER THEN MANUALLY UPDATED THE DRIVER BY TELLING IT TO LOOK INTO THE android-sdk-windows/usb-driver FOLDER THAT WAS JUST CREATED. Just point it to the usb-driver folder and let it look through the subfolder itself. When it found the driver it wanted … the nook icon in the device manager disappeared and an android icon appeared with no errors. I clicked on the android icon and the sub was android composite device. If that is there we are ready to do the next set.
5. Now inside the C: android-sdk-windows folder there is one called platform-tools (this is where adb.exe is)…open the platform-tools folder….hold down the shift button and right click in an open space within that folder and a menu will open. Select “open command window here” a dos looking box will open with a command prompt….now type adb devices and hit enter. It might make a comment about dameon and if things are cool it wiil then show your device and a number like 11223344556677. If you get that…we will be ready to get to loading the market.…if not STOP!!!!. Further troubleshooting will be required..

STEP THREE ... INSTALL THE MARKET

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11). Vending.apk
Vending.apk

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.
GoogleServicesFramework.apk

3. Place these two files in your “android-sdk-windows/platform-tools” folder - wherever adb.exe is)
LEAVE THIS WINDOW OPEN….

4. Now BOOT UP THAT NOOK, unlock it and plug it into your computer.

ONCE IT’S BOOTED …GO BACK TO THE PLATFORM-TOOLS WINDOW…press shift and right click … open a command prompt
in that folder. Type adb devices . It should find the device (shows that long number) and now you will issue each of these commands and make sure you hit the ENTER button after each one.
You can copy and paste each command if you size the windows above each other and it is quicker and less change of a typing mistake.

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Once you type the reboot command, the nook will reboot and you will have an icon for the market. Open the market, sign in. (You should already have a gmail account set up to do so)
If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

STEP FOUR .... GETTING ALL YOUR GB

Now let’s get to step four:

We are now going to increase the last partition of that sd card so you are using all available gb instead of the space it sees now.

Go here and download EASEUS Partition Master 7.1.1 Home Edition
Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
It’s 11.86 MB

Install it on your computer.

Put the sdcard in you computer and let it register in windows . Now open Easeus. You will now be looking at your drive and you will see the sdcard. Which has 4 partitions. #1 is boot…2 @ 666mb each which are system partitions and the 4th which is like 1.2 mb labled sdcard (This is the one we are going to make larger. Don’t touch the first 3 partitions!!!!) The grayed area to the right of it is the unallocated space that we want to add to the fourth partition. Now click that 4th partition…look at the menu to the left and select: resize/move partition then put you cursor on the line between the end of the fourth partition and the unallocated space and a move cursor will appear…click and drag to the right and incorporate all the gray space. Now click the apply arrow button above the right side menu. The program will do the rest. Close the program when it is done and eject the sdcard and see if it reboots again. Might be slower because it has to deal with more space but it should get faster after a few reboots.

STEP 5 ... ROOT THE CARD

Download the following files:

- su
( su )

- Superuser.apk
( Superuser.apk )

Extract them to your computer.

Move both files (su and Superuser.spk) into your C/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools directory (where adb is).

While you are in that window…open a command prompt (push shift key down and right click in empty area of window…click on OPEN COMMAND WINDOW HERE)

Type: adb devices at the command prompt…if your nook # is shown copy then paste the following commands hitting ENTER after each command.

adb push su /data/local

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local

adb shell

cd system/bin

rm su

cd /

cd system/xbin

rm su

cd /

cd /data/local

cat Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk

cat su > /system/bin/su

ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

su

Properly eject your nook….

Now install “Titanium backup*root” on your Nook (via market). Open the program after install….read and close the pop up window… choose "Problems?" at the bottom. This will download busybox.

Congrats, you're rooted!1!

You’re done

Thank the developers that did all the work at the threads we got all this info!!!

Last edited:

NookAnon

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Excellent, Jsthrower! That is dramatically easier to understand. Will the NC still function at rooted stock (assuming it was already rooted) when the sd card is Removed? I think so but want to be sure.

TerryB

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I got as far as revising the partition on the card and cannot get Easeus to recognize the card. All I can see is the C:/ drive.

Thanks,

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have seriously considered buying the nook color soley to add honeycomb and/or froyo/gingerbread. But I do have a few questions and dindnt want to wade through 130ish pages :).

1.) You can you side load movies or music and play them, right?
2.) And you would just drag and drop from the PC?
3.) What is the battery life like? The main reason I didn't want the color was that the battery life was terrible.
4.) From what I have read, gingerbread unlocks the bluetooth so I could pair my headset to it. Would honeycomb unlock it?
5.) Are there any compatibility problems with certain SD cards? Looking at either a Patriot 16GB LX Class 10 or the 32Gb variant. Would I have any known issues with either?

Last edited:

jsthrower

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have abandoned Honeycomb for now...too many restrictions. I have found CM7 works better from the sdcard and also reads my internal nook memory and adds the media to my programs. I've been playing with it all day and not one crash. Not to mention it's less complicated to setup on the card.
Plus I now get flash 10.2 for websites, my mp4 videos play MUCH better, and with a few download like button savior I think it is superior for my use, which is function and adding to what my nook will do. My nook for android seems to run better on this mod. When time has improved the HC mod I will give it a try again because it is a nice experience. Anyone wanting to give it a try can email me for directions to the process.

whodatizz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Would also like the link to the CM7 on SD if it's different than the one Roberto posted.

Having lag issues and issues with apps using HC. Was thinking froyo, but after your review, i gotta try CM7 out.

Any way to keep all the apps I have installed currently, and the progress on the games when I switch to CM7?

trein

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Solution for "Permission Denied" with dd in OSX?

I'm using OSX and am getting "Permission Denied" in the Terminal when I type in "dd if=nookhoney04.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m"
Any ideas?

I'm a Linux user, not OSX, but this sounds like it may work the same way. Usually, the "raw" disk devices (/dev/rdisk#) are not writable by ordinary users, only by the administrator. In OSX, I believe you run a command as administrator by prefixing it with "sudo." So, in this case, your command would be:

sudo dd if=nookhoney04.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m​

You'll be prompted for a password -- this will be your ordinary user password you use to log in.

Try this and see if it helps.

Tony

sudo stands for "Super-User Do," in case you're curious.