Dumb ADB question(s)

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got a new NC, totally stock and unrooted. Currently running 1.0.0. I tried to get ADB working on my Windows 7 (64-bit) box, using the instructions found here.

I had no luck. My question is: Do I need to be rooted before I can connect in debug mode, or otherwise get ADB working? (I don't see a way to enable Debug mode in the stock B&N version of Eclair. Is that why I'm having trouble?)

My issue is, after I install the SDK and find the drivers, the NC still never shows up in Device Manager. There are no Android devices shown, nothing called "Nook". There is an entry under the USB section which I deleted. (USB Mass Storage Device, I think?) But it comes back again when I scan for new hardware.

I figured I better find out if I needed to be rooted, before continuing to bang my head against this particular wall. :)

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyone?

I would just like to know whether I need to root my NC in order to have any chance of getting ADB to work. (via USB)

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone?

I would just like to know whether I need to root my NC in order to have any chance of getting ADB to work. (via USB)

No, you don't need to be rooted. I'm not and it works fine. I wasn't able to get adb working on Vista or Windows 7. A lot of people have had problems but others have no problems. I found an antique Windows xp box and installed the google apps. Install ADB wireless as soon as you get the market. It'll make your life easier.

Reactions: DaveNagy

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Tom S. At least I now know that the issue is likely with my computer, rather than with the Nook. I'll have to proceed with debugging now.

One question: What version of the SDK should I have installed?

I first installed the SDK back in October. It might have been version 7, or .7, back then? It worked fine at that time when I was rooting my Evo. When I started following the steps for getting ADB working on the NC, I saw that there was a newer version of the SDK available. v.9, maybe? Anyway, I was afraid that the older SDK version wouldn't be compatible with these newer Nook instructions, so I nuked my SDK folder and reinstalled the latest-greatest. I now wonder if this broke something.

It looks like I should get my NC rooted, and then try to get ADB Wireless working.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Tom S. At least I now know that the issue is likely with my computer, rather than with the Nook. I'll have to proceed with debugging now.

One question: What version of the SDK should I have installed?

I first installed the SDK back in October. It might have been version 7, or .7, back then? It worked fine at that time when I was rooting my Evo. When I started following the steps for getting ADB working on the NC, I saw that there was a newer version of the SDK available. v.9, maybe? Anyway, I was afraid that the older SDK version wouldn't be compatible with these newer Nook instructions, so I nuked my SDK folder and reinstalled the latest-greatest. I now wonder if this broke something.

It looks like I should get my NC rooted, and then try to get ADB Wireless working.

ok so i dont know much about NC it seems to run different then other devices,,,,but try setting up enviroments , follow the directions in this thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/gen...sion-screen-capture-thru-sdk-windows-7-a.html

Reactions: DaveNagy

SeanFL

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
don't know if it helps the conversation or not. I have an HTC evo and can use adb just fine. With the nook, adb will not see it. In win 7 device manager, it comes up as "Android Composite ADB interface" (and not the nookcolor that it was when it didn't have the driver installed. Maybe I need a different driver? I believe I used the nook usb files that someone had posted somewhere.) Any help appreciated, thanks! Sean

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I think I already tried the script that SeanFL mentions, but I will go check out that how-to thread that DroidXcon linked.

I actually made a bit more progress last night. I went back into Device Manager and found that USB Mass Storage entry that has the 2080 hardware ID. (If you delete it, and then scan for changes while the NC is connected, it recreates itself. So, that's definitely the NC.) This time, I tried updating the driver, and then went through the "Have Disk" procedure. I pointed it at the .inf file that was down in my SDK directories somewhere. It installed some more drivers, and now Device Manager shows an entry for "Android Composite ADB Interface" (or something to that effect). Also, when I do the "Eject Hardware" thing before unplugging the NC, Windows refers to it as a Nook, instead of just a generic mass storage device. So, that's progress. I think.

Unfortunately, ADB still doesn't list anything as a device. So, I'm still unable to do anything.

I'm running rooted Eclair 1.1.0 on the internal memory now, so I should be able to get Wireless ADB up and running there. I'm also playing with Honeycomb on the SD card. I'm stuck there, since I need ADB to work just to install the market or any app. But I'm sure a newer version of H will come along soon enough.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I'm running 64-bit Win7, the latest Moto drivers, and the latest SDK, and adb runs fine, from both the command line and Side Load Wonder Machine. Once you edit the PATH variable in the system settings, no problemo.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I think I already tried the script that SeanFL mentions, but I will go check out that how-to thread that DroidXcon linked.

I actually made a bit more progress last night. I went back into Device Manager and found that USB Mass Storage entry that has the 2080 hardware ID. (If you delete it, and then scan for changes while the NC is connected, it recreates itself. So, that's definitely the NC.) This time, I tried updating the driver, and then went through the "Have Disk" procedure. I pointed it at the .inf file that was down in my SDK directories somewhere. It installed some more drivers, and now Device Manager shows an entry for "Android Composite ADB Interface" (or something to that effect). Also, when I do the "Eject Hardware" thing before unplugging the NC, Windows refers to it as a Nook, instead of just a generic mass storage device. So, that's progress. I think.

Unfortunately, ADB still doesn't list anything as a device. So, I'm still unable to do anything.

I'm running rooted Eclair 1.1.0 on the internal memory now, so I should be able to get Wireless ADB up and running there. I'm also playing with Honeycomb on the SD card. I'm stuck there, since I need ADB to work just to install the market or any app. But I'm sure a newer version of H will come along soon enough.

I'm in the same boat, but I don't even get to where the Mass Storage Device turns into a Android Composite device. It shows as a "USB composite device". I've tried to update the drivers with no success. My Nexus One works fine when I plug it in, so it must be something else. Let me know how you proceed on this. I'd like to be able to use my laptop instead of my old XP system when I work on the NC.

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem. Followed all the directions multiple time, but adb would not see nooks serial numbers.

What works for me window7:

Disconnect Nook from usb, Go to device manager, Android Composite ADB interface, update driver, CLICK UNINSTALL DRIVER, plug nook back into usb, window7 searches and installs drivers, then I do this, per sticky;
Start > Run > cmd > Enter
cd\
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
adb kill-server
adb devices

This works for me every time. Don't know why.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, but I don't even get to where the Mass Storage Device turns into a Android Composite device. It shows as a "USB composite device". I've tried to update the drivers with no success. My Nexus One works fine when I plug it in, so it must be something else. Let me know how you proceed on this. I'd like to be able to use my laptop instead of my old XP system when I work on the NC.

Figured it out. Under Device manager, I uninstalled the "USB composite device" and "USB Mass Storage Device" under USB controllers while the Nook is connected. Then do a scan for hardware changes. Eventually it found my Nook listed as "ADB composite device" under "Android Phone".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair