No nook colors for 2 weeks!?!?

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
of course this would be my luck... my plans for friday were to go pick up my check from work, go to the bank to cash it, and make a beeline to the nearest barnes and noble to get a nook color. my class 10 8gig sd card is coming in the mail tomorrow, for nookie froyo/honeycomb, depending on what i felt like at the time. now i read this No Nook Colors for two weeks? | Crave - CNET
this makes me a very sad panda...:'(

Last edited:

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I got mine at Walmart. Another guy showed up at the same time and we bought the only two they had left. They didn't have them displayed, and we only saw them after they opened up the cabinet. Give them a try.

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
im gonna try my luck at best buy and b&n first, i know its a fat chance but the nearest wal-mart is like half an hour away from me

Last edited:

slimxwhitman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
im gonna try my luck at best buy and b&n first, i know its a fat chance but the nearest wal-mart is like an hour away from me

First off...Where in the world do you live that Wal*Mart is an hour away? lol Check all your best buys in the area. I lucked out and both best buys near me had 4 each in stock. I bought one, dead pixel directly in the middle of the screen.. Returned it two days later at a different best buy and got a nice new one. Also went back this week and picked up a free Case for it (up to $50 case free w/ e-reader purchase) since I bought it last week they let me do it. If you can, get it at best buy that deal is too good to pass up.

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
First off...Where in the world do you live that Wal*Mart is an hour away? lol Check all your best buys in the area. I lucked out and both best buys near me had 4 each in stock. I bought one, dead pixel directly in the middle of the screen.. Returned it two days later at a different best buy and got a nice new one. Also went back this week and picked up a free Case for it (up to $50 case free w/ e-reader purchase) since I bought it last week they let me do it. If you can, get it at best buy that deal is too good to pass up.

i live in new jersey lol. and the reason im worried im not gonna be able to find one in bb or b&n is because the article says the remaining nooks were pulled from the shelves in B&N and its nook distributors for "inventory checking". it wouldnt surprise me if this has something to do with all the rooting/hacking going on with the nook lately

slimxwhitman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
i live in new jersey lol. and the reason im worried im not gonna be able to find one in bb or b&n is because the article says the remaining nooks were pulled from the shelves in B&N and its nook distributors for "inventory checking". it wouldnt surprise me if this has something to do with all the rooting/hacking going on with the nook lately

wow you're right, I just checked your area best buys and no one has them in stock, now no one has them around me either (philly area) glad I decided to snag mine up last week! phew. lol

Reactions: RamboDroid

comets8518

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I got one at best buy yesterday. They had 6. B&N had some as well but Best buy offered free case.
BB had a little sign up that apologized they would not have any nooks due to stock issues, but since there were 6 looking at me, I grabbed one and a case and just checked out like normal.

Houston, TX area

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
WOW if the last update to the article linked in the first post is at all correct I'm glad I got my NC a few days ago! It says they are pulling the NC from shelves to install an anti-rooting fix so that it (supposedly) can't be rooted any more! Since that's the reason they are selling so many I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to root it after they install this "fix" but I bet they will lose sales because of this. I wonder if they will lose more $ by doing this or if they lose more $ by not doing this since the reason they are doing it is because people are putting the Kindle app on the NC and not buying books from Barnes and Noble?

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wonder how many people on backorder will turn around and get rid of their NCs or just cancel their orders if B&N tries anything fishy.

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you are right about the Kindle app and B&N being mad that people aren't using their app. Has anyone on the web done a tear down the nook and priced out the internals of it? Maybe they are taking a hit on the price in the hope that people buy books from the B&N store. That would mean with everyone using Kindle they are not making the revenue back that they needed to.

smallheadz

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I ordered one online from BN so we will see how long it takes and what comes on it( they said won't charge card until the date of shipping). The store was out and I had a gift card to use . We shall see

bugeyed

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I think you are right about the Kindle app and B&N being mad that people aren't using their app. Has anyone on the web done a tear down the nook and priced out the internals of it? Maybe they are taking a hit on the price in the hope that people buy books from the B&N store. That would mean with everyone using Kindle they are not making the revenue back that they needed to.

I feel that, if B&N was using the Nook Color as a loss leader, they would not be selling them through other retailers. I suspect that B&N is making enough profit from the price to these retailers. along with the B&N store sales, to sustain the product. I am sure that the projected ebook revenue is part of their business model, but I hope the future of the product doesn't depend on it.
Let's hope that B&N can make enough just selling NCs that they don't feel the need to lock it down any further.
Cheers,
kev

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Bah! If them pulling it to figure out an anti-rooting fix, that's terribly unfortunate.

Sure it'll be hacked like everything else. Just means I'll have to wait even longer though. :/

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
ebay is looking more and more like my only option if i get my check tomorrow and wal-mart doesnt have any nooks available... oh well, its worth it if the nook gets full honeycomb in the future, not to mention stock rooted is worth it too

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
ebay is looking more and more like my only option if i get my check tomorrow and wal-mart doesnt have any nooks available... oh well, its worth it if the nook gets full honeycomb in the future, not to mention stock rooted is worth it too

Yeah I'm so torn between snatching one up now or waiting. I've been on the fence about it for a while. This is putting the pressure on to make a decision. :/

TMG

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I called my local BB and they said they should have stock arriving this Fri. If they don't have any and BN is pulling stock to play some hardware/software games then screw it. I will just take my money elsewhere. There are going to be plenty of Android tabs out there with Honeycomb in next 3-12 months and I'm sure that some will be at a reasonable price point without the BS.

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I called my local BB and they said they should have stock arriving this Fri. If they don't have any and BN is pulling stock to play some hardware/software games then screw it. I will just take my money elsewhere. There are going to be plenty of Android tabs out there with Honeycomb in next 3-12 months and I'm sure that some will be at a reasonable price point without the BS.

well, unfortunately, barnes & noble isnt selling the nook as a tablet, they are selling it as a platform to make money off ebooks. if people are buying the nook, then not buying a single book, we broke their business model. they probably care a LOT more about how many copies of harry potter they sell than how many nooks they sell... its almost like the cell phone business model, where carriers sell phones extremely cheap, or even free, in the hopes that the person will buy costly contracts. in the nooks case, the money is in the media, not the product itself.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
well, unfortunately, barnes & noble isnt selling the nook as a tablet, they are selling it as a platform to make money off ebooks. if people are buying the nook, then not buying a single book, we broke their business model. they probably care a LOT more about how many copies of harry potter they sell than how many nooks they sell... its almost like the cell phone business model, where carriers sell phones extremely cheap, or even free, in the hopes that the person will buy costly contracts. in the nooks case, the money is in the media, not the product itself.

By the way, I live in Toms River and there are 5 Walmarts between me and you. Toms River, Brick, Howell, Freehold and Neptune all have Walmarts that are well within 20 minutes of Port Monmouth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois