Need Root Explorer Help

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am running Nookie Froyo off the card. Everything is running great except the google market is absolutely TERRIBLE. It is missing tons of apps. Therefore, I was going through the directions posted in the forum...

I can open Root Explorer, then can open /system; but then I can NOT mount as rw. When I hit Mount as rw the button lights up but will NOT switch it to rw. Therefore, I can not rewrite the needed file. Any help? Ideas?

Any other options to get Market to show more apps?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am running Nookie Froyo off the card. Everything is running great except the google market is absolutely TERRIBLE. It is missing tons of apps. Therefore, I was doing through the directions posted in the forum...

I can open Root Explorer, then can open /system; but then I can NOT mount as rw. When I hit Mount as rw the button lights up but will NOT switch it to rw. Therefore, I can not rewrite the needed file. Any help? Ideas?

Any other options to get Market to show more apps?

are you sure you are rooted?

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The market is designed to show you apps that are designed to work on your specific device. Being that the Nook is somewhat of an oddity, there are a LOT of apps that don't show up. You can get around this by doing searches for the .apk files through torrents or what have you, and side loading them, or e-mailing them to your Gmail account, downloading on the Nook, and installing through Astro or any other .apk manager. The downside of this is that you're going to find a lot of apps that aren't formatted correctly for your device, so games may not go full-screen, or may be TOO large for the screen, etc. It's all part of the fun of making a device do what the manufacturer didn't really intend ;)

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The market is designed to show you apps that are designed to work on your specific device. Being that the Nook is somewhat of an oddity, there are a LOT of apps that don't show up. You can get around this by doing searches for the .apk files through torrents or what have you, and side loading them, or e-mailing them to your Gmail account, downloading on the Nook, and installing through Astro or any other .apk manager. The downside of this is that you're going to find a lot of apps that aren't formatted correctly for your device, so games may not go full-screen, or may be TOO large for the screen, etc. It's all part of the fun of making a device do what the manufacturer didn't really intend ;)

Then what about the Galaxy Tab? I played with that abit and most of the apps showed up. For example, I can't even find SimiClock on the market I have installed...

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
My guess there would be that the footprint doesn't match up. Used to have the same issue back when I ported my HTC Eris over to CyanogenMod and updated to 2.1 before the Eris was granted 2.1 by Verizon. LOTS of stuff wouldn't show up in the market until it became "official". The system couldn't figure out what device it actually was, so it gave a really random list of stuff. Technically, the NC shouldn't even access Market, so chances are it's going to be a bit wonky. The Galaxy Tab is a supported, carrier-defined device specifically set up for Market support.

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My guess there would be that the footprint doesn't match up. Used to have the same issue back when I ported my HTC Eris over to CyanogenMod and updated to 2.1 before the Eris was granted 2.1 by Verizon. LOTS of stuff wouldn't show up in the market until it became "official". The system couldn't figure out what device it actually was, so it gave a really random list of stuff. Technically, the NC shouldn't even access Market, so chances are it's going to be a bit wonky. The Galaxy Tab is a supported, carrier-defined device specifically set up for Market support.

My question would be then, why can't you port over the market that is being used on the tab for the NC? In no way am I a developer or have the knowledge to do that, but I think it would be possible to "trick" the NC into thinking it was a GTab.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty much what someone will have to do, but just like you, I'm no programmer, so I just hide and watch, then thank the person who figured it out profusely as I enjoy the fruits of their labor ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae