Flash Honeycomb to Internal vs SD

dajo#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am going to embark on this adventure with a virgin Nook Color in the next hour or so. For those who've done both, are there any noticeable improvement (performance or otherwise) with flashing to the internal memory vs. going the SD card route?
Sorry if this has been covered; searched high and low and couldn't find a thread that answers this question specifically

dajo#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Jeez....I thought this thread would have gotten some traction ....any of u smart folks want to weigh in and help a brother out? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mr.Stacks

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey I just bought my nook friday and installed auto nooter 3.0 to internal. To me seems stable than the sd and you can always return to stock whenever so just try both.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend getting a quality Class 10 SD (make sure it's a trusted brand beforehand, many "Class 10's" aren't 10 at all), overclocking it, and running off SD. It's plenty fast, and oh so less dangerous. Plus the internal way you have that flashy red squary thing that the earlier versions of the SD release had - it gets pretty annoying.

Reactions: qwerty1

dajo#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
dude, its superbowl sunday, i think people have stuff to do... :)
So true. Sorry about that .. I was just excited about getting this going. TBO, I didn't get a chance to any mods exactly because it was Superbowl day...Anyhow, I did go to Best Buy and bought a 4GB sd, but I think its way too slow. It is a Sandisk card and if I read the package correctly, it is a class 2. I suspect I will go the internal route as I see it is pretty straightforward to flash it back if things go south. I will report back

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised folks are actually doing this... yes, it looks neat, and yes, the bragging rights are fun, but honestly, I'm happy running it off of an SD card, because I find my rooted stock SO much more functional!

dajo#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised folks are actually doing this... yes, it looks neat, and yes, the bragging rights are fun, but honestly, I'm happy running it off of an SD card, because I find my rooted stock SO much more functional!
if you don't mind, can you tell me which sd card are u using and where you got it? I checked both the sprint store ad best buy and they both carry the sandisk cards, which I thought were good quality. I look online and there are so man out there..thanks in advance

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Appears to be a Class 2, actually... which seems to be plenty for goofing around with Honeycomb... I don't honestly see any lag in moving between home screens, or from menu to menu. But since a lot of the apps and such I want to use don't work, or appear to cause the system to reboot, etc, I'm not even worried about making Honeycomb faster... I'll wait for a stable build before I really worry about it. Stock rooted for me :)

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am running my NC and Honeycomb on a class 2 card. When I first booted it was very slow. But I read on XDA that the cache get's rebuilt when you reboot and that can improve performance. So I rebooted the unit 2 or 3 times and the performance is considerably better. It is not as fast as stock, but what do you expect from a hacked Alpha version of 3.0?

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
if you don't mind, can you tell me which sd card are u using and where you got it? I checked both the sprint store ad best buy and they both carry the sandisk cards, which I thought were good quality. I look online and there are so man out there..thanks in advance
I bought a Kingmax Class 10 off of Amazon. It seems to be working flawlessly for me so far. <knock on wood> Other folks also seem to be having good luck with this brand. (As opposed to other well-respected, name-brand Class 10 cards that mysteriously refuse to work right on the NC.) Let me see if I can find a link for you.

Here you go.

pacopar500

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if this is the appropriate thread.
I ran honeycomb from a SD card and I noticed that my lcd screen has a yellow spot in the corner. It occurs when running honeycomb and when running the stock nook OS. Is safe to return it since honeycomb was booted from the SD card?

crspy

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
how does a class 10 compare to the internal? Looking to see if I should flash the EMMC when a stable honeycomb version is released or is a class 10 similar in performance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20