Benefit of using class 8/10 card..?

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems using scandisk 4g and 8g class 4 cards, although a higher class was recommended. I was wondering what benefits I could expect if I moved to a higher class card. thanks

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Well i used to get a huge lag when recording 720p video. and all the pics took forever to load in the gallery app. I switched to a kingmax 16gb class 10 and it has been great read/write speeds are much better. and my video are super smooth

panamamike

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems using scandisk 4g and 8g class 4 cards, although a higher class was recommended. I was wondering what benefits I could expect if I moved to a higher class card. thanks

Yes, faster is better however...
Note that relying on class alone isn't really enough. Typically smaller cards of the same class will be faster. Meaning a class 4 2GB flash should be faster than an class 4 8GB card.

Not all cards are created equally. Two cards may have the class X label, but one may be much faster than the other. What I've found is the cards typically meet class designation specs, but these are for sequential read and write.

However, I find the random read and write numbers to be much more telling. For example I tested a couple Class 10 16GB microsd cards, they had 20Mbps Read and Write speeds, but a paltry 1Mbps write 512k random.

I then tried an 8gb class 6 flash microsd that has 15Mbps read write, but a 2 Mbps write on 512k random. This card works pretty well with froyo.

I finally settled on a Class 4 16Gb Sandisk flash that has 2Mbps 512k random writes, and 2Mbps 4k random writes. These numbers are what makes media like this fast. Even though the sequential rights come in at 6Mbps, it performed much better than the Class 10 counterparts.

Note that speed also depends on the device using it. You can have the same card in two different devices and it will be 20Mbps on one, but only 10Mbps on another. Not sure why the performance varies so much, just know that it does.

It would be nice to know just how fast the Nook microsd card device can go. Then we could select an optimal flash card to meet its needs.

Mike

Mike

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. While back I upgrade the card in a high end camera I own and saw a huge increase

Your last sentence/question is what I was trying to ask. Have been looking around but I haven't seen an answer on the Nooks capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith