Thumb Keyboard for Honeycomb + beta testers needed

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
thumb_550_thumbkeyboard.png

The new update of Thumb Keyboard now works in Honeycomb on the Nook Color (it was crashing before). It's a couple bucks, but of course you'll have the usual 15 minute refund window to check it out if you aren't sure.

The dev told me about a beta installer for his keyboard, which you can get cranking after purchasing the app (if you so desire). This will keep you running the most up-to-date version. Grab the beta installer.

If you missed it, Thumb Keyboard was my editors' app pick for last week:

If you caught Phil's hands-on with the amazing-looking Swiftkey for tablets, you tab-owners may have been disappointed to find that it isn't going to be available for (probably) another couple of months. What many people don't know is at Swiftkey, erm, "borrowed" the idea from another keyboard: Thumb Keyboard (Phone/Tablet). Tablet owners who use Swype or SlideIt can attest that landscape mode can prove extremely annoying for trace keyboards, and the 7-inch screen doesn't always work for tapping traditionally either. Thumb Keyboard takes this problem and owns it with a vengeance. Want split screen so your thumbs can easily tap out? Check. Quick word prediction that can be entered with a tap of the space bar? Check. Different themes and layouts matching various UI's (including phone/7" tablet/10" tablet and more)? Yup. While I still prefer Swype on phones, Thumb Keyboard taps out a text faster and more comfortably than traditional qwerty keyboards. With a variety of themes to choose from, the option to choose a different layout for portrait/landscape, and the best damn tablet-typing I've found, Thumb Keyboard is a predecessor to the upcoming Swiftkey for tablets that isn't to be ignored.

The developer knows about this thread, so feel free to post your beta feedback here (mostly relating to the installer).

* If you want to use Thumb Keyboard in landscape, but something like SlideIt in portrait, you can check out an app called Keyboard Manager, which will let you pick a default for each orientation. Note that you'll probably have to use a file manager to move Keyboard Manager's apk into system/app (instead of data/app) in order for it to work properly (be sure to set permissions to match the other files in that folder too). Keyboard Manager

Last edited:

Radrobe

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded it and it seems solid. I'll keep testing it....still not used to it.

My initial criticism is that the words that pop up above the letters may be a little small for thumbs.

bugeyed

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there a version number? I have TKB, don't recall the ver. Just downloaded the new ver. Will the original installer work with this "new" ver? The installer in your link has the same file name.

Cheers,
kev

Appelflap

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded it and it seems solid. I'll keep testing it....still not used to it.

My initial criticism is that the words that pop up above the letters may be a little small for thumbs.

Hi, I'm the developer of this keyboard. If you don't mind I jump in.

You mean the suggestions? Will look if I can make the size customizable for users.

------

My main concern for the moment is the installer. I want to post it on the market, but because it simplifies stuff only the die hard user knows about I want to make sure it works without any hassle. The goal is that fairly uninformed users can use the installer also.

The installer will be free and I hope that with the installer users can test and try out the keyboard within the 15 min. refund window. Feedback of you guys about the installer is highly appreciated.

Some extra info:
- The installer has to be installed on a rooted device that has access to the Android Market
- The installer has to be installed just once and can be used for all updates posted on the market

Appelflap

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just want to mention that the new version has a new Honeycomb theme. For those NC users who are running HC on their Nook. It also looks great on other Android versions.

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just want to mention that the new version has a new Honeycomb theme. For those NC users who are running HC on their Nook. It also looks great on other Android versions.

@Appelflap - Thanks for a great app! I had just about given up on using a keyboard in landscape mode just because typing was so unwieldy with any of the stock keyboards. When I saw Will's recommendation for Thumb Keyboard, I went ahead and purchased it despite the new 15 minute Market return policy. I'm glad I did. Landscape typing is much easier and I especially like the ability to adjust the height of the rows. (However you have way too many settings and adjustments to try out to fit in 15 minutes - not a bad thing, just saying...)

I am currently having trouble keeping root on my Honeycomb v4, but as soon as I get that straightened out, I will sign up for the beta-test updates. Keep up the good work & thanks again for a really worthwhile app.

Appelflap

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@Appelflap - Thanks for a great app! I had just about given up on using a keyboard in landscape mode just because typing was so unwieldy with any of the stock keyboards. When I saw Will's recommendation for Thumb Keyboard, I went ahead and purchased it despite the new 15 minute Market return policy. I'm glad I did. Landscape typing is much easier and I especially like the ability to adjust the height of the rows. (However you have way too many settings and adjustments to try out to fit in 15 minutes - not a bad thing, just saying...)

I am currently having trouble keeping root on my Honeycomb v4, but as soon as I get that straightened out, I will sign up for the beta-test updates. Keep up the good work & thanks again for a really worthwhile app.

Totally agree about the 15 min return window policy problem (wow, a noun with 2 adjectives and 2 nested adjectives :) ). That's why I want to publish the installer. Problem is that if it doesn't work, it can cause a lot of problems for people that don't how to install it manually. I know already that it's working in most cases. Just hope to find someone for which it doesn't work. Hope you are the lucky one :)

Btw if people want to cancel after 15 minutes just mail me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol