Benifits of moving to class 10 card?

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Running Froyo from 4g class 4 card, overclocked. Just loving it. You guys/gals are great.

Thinking about buying a class 10 card and moving the image of to it. Wondering if I'll see any benefits in response, browsing.... Some have said it's like upgrading your computer hard drive to 7200 which improves accessing. How would that translate to the NC?

Would going with the class 10 have a similar affect as upgrade memory in a computer?

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt that you would notice such a change as upgrading a computer hard drive or memory. But from what I understand a Class 4 card can write at 4mb/sec while a Class 10 card can write at 10mb/sec which could be beneficial when your write data to the card.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
A Class 2 card should be able to read/write at 16Mbits/second (1.9 MB/second).

A Class 4: 32 Mbits/second (3.9 MB/sec).

Class 6: 48Mbits/second (5.7 MB/sec).

Class 10: 160 Mbits/second (19 MB/sec).

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Since the nc does not have a camera, probably not much benefit in writing. But the reading increase? I guess I need to just buy one and test it out.

I need to research the engineering of tablets. On a computer the hard drive and memory are seperate entities. Does a nc have seperate ssd module for cache and storage, or does all memory functions run off the same ssd?

If its all (the wholes system) runs from the same ssd, interal or sd card, than doesnt stand to reason that the significant increase in reading speed from class 4 to 10 would produce a noticeable differance in, let say responsiveness?

AlterZgo

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would caution against updating to a class 10 card at this time. Myself and others have had issues running both Froyo and Honeycomb on a class 10 card (specifically 16GB Patriot Class 10).

I think I'm going to try an 8GB class 6 card.

FWIW, my class 10 card works fine as storage running the stock Nook OS.