GMail crashing, causing mini-reboot

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Last night I tried switching to the GMail app. I had been using Hotmail through the EMail app, and had my gmail account set to not synchronize.
The GMail app loads OK and I can manage my e-mail. But when I try to edit the settings by going to the Accounts screen, pulling up the Account Settings bar and clicking on it, GMail crashes, and my NC does a mini-reboot (goes through the Android animation then loads my home screen).

Any ideas what to do? I'd uninstall GMail and reinstall it, but the market says it's not compatible with my phone and I'm worried about breaking my market account or other settings...

I'm running GMail 1.3 and GMail storage 2.1.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It might help if you specify how your device is set up. Is it 2.1 ROM with a root (1.0, 1.01, or 1.1.0), Froyo on SD card, Froyo in EMMC, Cyanogen, Honeycomb?

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It might help if you specify how your device is set up. Is it 2.1 ROM with a root (1.0, 1.01, or 1.1.0), Froyo on SD card, Froyo in EMMC, Cyanogen, Honeycomb?

Right, sorry.
Stock rooted 1.1 with Autonooter.
I had a little run-in with CWM trying to overclock it over the weekend (and may have flashed a new kernel - got stuck in a CWR loop and used a root-safe CWR removal .zip to get out), but that didn't seem to change anything once I got it resolved.

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup, and this exact thing has happened to me twice...most recently last night. I eventually just ended up rebooting the device a few times, and eventually the GMail app started working correctly again. I haven't changed anything with my setup, so don't know why it seems to do this from time to time, and nothing I tried seemed to fix it...other than sequential reboots.

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
this exact thing has happened to me twice...most recently last night.

Do you mean specifically that trying to change the account settings crashes gmail?
I've rebooted a couple of times since this started and it hasn't fixed anything. I finally tracked down a few gmail apk's today (stock, 2.3, modified stock to preview images) and will try uninstalling the app this evening and seeing if one of the new apk's helps.

I just hope uninstalling gmail doesn't mess with anything else.

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried uninstalling gmail when i got home tonight, though that proved slightly more difficult than I thought. Wiped the data with titanium backup. I then copied new apk's of gmil 1.3 and gmail storage into the /system/app folder and installed them. Rebooted a coupe of times throughout the process.
Now when i try to open gmail it flashes a black screen then jumps right back to the home screen.
Help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt