New Nook!! whats recomended!!

kalel3038

May 7, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i jumped into the nook wagon when the price dropped that was last night and getting my nook tomorrow so i am here as a new user asking for peoples options on what should i get and what rom to use i know for a fact i want to root and i mostly got it for honeycomb but is it stable enough for prime time?? so can you guys help me out to be ready for tomorrow like sd card types and all that stuff!!

idoc21

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i jumped into the nook wagon when the price dropped that was last night and getting my nook tomorrow so i am here as a new user asking for peoples options on what should i get and what rom to use i know for a fact i want to root and i mostly got it for honeycomb but is it stable enough for prime time?? so can you guys help me out to be ready for tomorrow like sd card types and all that stuff!!

I'm getting mine today as well. What I'd like to have recommendations on:

1) Honeycomb vs Nookie Froyo vs CM7

2) running from Internal memory vs SD card

Thanks!

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I run Honeycomb off a SD card (get a fast class 6 or better card). I left rooted stock on the internal, since I prefer it for book reading (I bought my nook first and foremost for books).

avi

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mine today as well. What I'd like to have recommendations on:

Honeycomb vs Nookie Froyo vs CM7
Honeycomb not stable as of now. And in both CM7 and Froyo, I say CM7. It is fast, stable and smooth. Though there are few bugs but not big. I have given links above how to install them.

2) running from Internal memory vs SD card
Internal Memory.

Reactions: john_v and idoc21

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my stock 1.1 - and being familiar with 2.1 from my wife's Fascinate, I have to say I'm not liking it. I know some things I just have to research and figure out, but the glaring ones include:

Softkey: I haven't figured out the difference between softkey, and the back/menu buttons that show up in the bottom status bar. Are these the same/different??

Launchers: I briefly tried Launcher Pro (which I put on my wife's phone) as well as Zeam. I'm unable to create any shortcuts with either - no idea why yet. I really need a launcher, as the Nook layout totally bothers me.

And lastly - won't affect most, but I need to install Lotus Notes Traveler to gain access to my corporate email/calendar. It basically enforces screen lock, and supports remote wipe. It doesn't play nice with my 2.1 Autonooter root, so I'm likely going to try Froyo.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my stock 1.1 - and being familiar with 2.1 from my wife's Fascinate, I have to say I'm not liking it. I know some things I just have to research and figure out, but the glaring ones include:

Softkey: I haven't figured out the difference between softkey, and the back/menu buttons that show up in the bottom status bar. Are these the same/different??

Some programs go full screen hiding those menu items. Softkeys allows a floating home icon that stays there on top of most screens so you pretty much always have a home button to press that brings up a back key etc... no matter what the app displays. I use it a lot. I made mine about 80% transparent so you hardly even notice it on screen.
I also put a shortcut at the bottom on the main screen on Zeam so I can launch the softkeys app itself so I always have the recent apps list.

Launchers: I briefly tried Launcher Pro (which I put on my wife's phone) as well as Zeam. I'm unable to create any shortcuts with either - no idea why yet. I really need a launcher, as the Nook layout totally bothers me.

I had a few small issues with Zeam at first but I had to re-root and it has been fine since. I can create shortcuts rather easily so I am unsure why you can't. I simply open all the apps list and press and hold the app I want to place on the main screen. The main screen then pops up and you simply let go. If you want widgets just long press the screen and it will ask you if you want to add item, set wall paper or preferences. You can select the add items option and add widgets or your shortcuts this way. Easy.

And lastly - won't affect most, but I need to install Lotus Notes Traveler to gain access to my corporate email/calendar. It basically enforces screen lock, and supports remote wipe. It doesn't play nice with my 2.1 Autonooter root, so I'm likely going to try Froyo.

Yeah I am unsure on that one. Not a Lotus fan. Unsure why it would not work on 2.1 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: idoc21

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I dumped the softkeys. If the pages does not provide a back button, the area on the bottom of the page acts as a back button. Just swipe from right to left. Hitting the "N" button returns you to home.

I prefer Zeam. What do you mean by shortcuts. If you want to see an app on a screen simply add it from setup just like you do on a phone.

nmtuna

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I dumped the softkeys. If the pages does not provide a back button, the area on the bottom of the page acts as a back button. Just swipe from right to left. Hitting the "N" button returns you to home.

If I can see the bottom menu I can also just press the back arrow. The problem is not all software allows that menu to continued to be displayed. Some programs go full screen and you then HAVE to have softkeys or the like to go back.

johnny99

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
A shortcut is a link to a file or a function within an app. This is different from a link to an app itself. Long press on your launcher home screen to bring up the create shortcut function.

I cannot get this to work with Zeam on my Nook (but it does work on my Droid).

kalel3038

May 7, 2010
Visit site
recieved an hour ago

alright guys so i am going into work at 6 and i just received it like an hour ago so right now its fully charging so when i get a brake i can turn it on and check it out and when i get home let the nooking begin lol but yeah so i see the best thing to use is cm7...for now i might just try it out but i really honestly got the nook for honeycomb so in time i hope it becomes stable!!

darchenwar44

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
A shortcut is a link to a file or a function within an app. This is different from a link to an app itself. Long press on your launcher home screen to bring up the create shortcut function.

I cannot get this to work with Zeam on my Nook (but it does work on my Droid).

I don't think that the rooted stock allows shortcuts. I believe you have to use Froyo, CM7 or Honey Comb.

avi

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
so in your guide the NC has to be rooted already before following the steps? i also am awaiting my NC to come in the mail and prepping myself for its arrival.
Nope. It should work on stock NC also. edited my post.

Hey, what's the difference btwn CM 7 and phiremod builds???

Thanks
Both are Gingerbread roms. But Phiremod builds are tweaked by a XDA member. And I find Phiremod v4 is quite stable as of now. I suggest you try the same. He has also made Phiremod Froyo build.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If I can see the bottom menu I can also just press the back arrow. The problem is not all software allows that menu to continued to be displayed. Some programs go full screen and you then HAVE to have softkeys or the like to go back.

Which program is giving you an issue? The youtube app does this in landscape orientation, but rotating returns it to portrait orientation where the back options are available.

sent from my NC

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I dumped the softkeys. If the pages does not provide a back button, the area on the bottom of the page acts as a back button. Just swipe from right to e.

What do you do when you need a menu button? Any alternative apps to softkey? I can't get it to work in CM7

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk