Charge phone with nook charger?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Have you charged your phone through the nooks ac charger. Its 10W compared to 5W for my phone. Would be nice to only have to deal with one charger,but the higher rating concerns me.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Not sure about the wattage, but most MicroUSB chargers are 500 mA while the Nook is 1900 mA. I use a 2000 mA AC-USB converter all the time with my phone (Droid I). Really fast charge. However, don't try to use the phone while it's charging as screen taps don't always hit where you think they might; I'm guessing the excess power is throwing things off. And not sure if I'm doing any long-term damage. I hope not.

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly it depends on the phone as to if it will harm it or not. With the Samsung Galaxy S series it has been tested that they will not draw over 700mA even when put on a more powerful charger than the stock one so basically the charger will have excess capacity and the phone will not take advantage of it is all. Other phones can draw considerably more than the stock charger they come with but will still have protection measures built in to keep themselves from getting damaged.

So I would say it should be safe to use the Nook charger on your phone.

@dcreed: Some chargers are not well grounded or provide poor power to the device and one of the first ways that shows up is by the screen not being responsive or not touching in the right place. I plugged a Galaxy S charger into a cheap car power inverter and suddenly only the lower half of the screen would work at all and even then touches were way off, plugged the phone into a normal car charger and no problem and no problems on other power inverters either so something was just wrong with that one.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I asked the same question on XDA, and a few people mentioned that the Nook color cable had a few extra pins to make it charge faster, but that makes it incompatible with phone ports. If that's true, I may be stuck with 2 chargers/2 cables anyway, one f or fast charging the nook, and one for my phone. I'll have to experiment with charging speed on a stock cable with the nook.

The XDA thread is here if anyone is interested in some of those responses

Do you use your nook color charger on your phone? - xda-developers

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ah, if that's the case and the Nook Color's charger is not a standard micro USB port that is possible it might not charge a phone. Sadly I do not actually have my Nook Color yet to test this because its still in the mail, might have to find out on Tuesday when it gets here.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
I charge my NC using a micro USB cable off a USB hub. It's incredibly slow (500mA vs. the 1900 mA of the Nook Charger), and I see the battery meter actually losing ground if I do anything intensive (e.g. Angry Birds), and it barely moves if I let it keep the screen on.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you charged your phone through the nooks ac charger. Its 10W compared to 5W for my phone. Would be nice to only have to deal with one charger,but the higher rating concerns me.

I charged my Evo with it a couple of times. The Evo seems to still only draw the .9 A that the draws from the HTC charger. It did not notice the phone getting hot or charging any faster than usual.

FWIW, I often charge my Nook and Evo from a 1 Amp Motorola charger in my car. It seems to work fine with either device.

I have also charged my Nook from the wall charger for my Evo with my Evo's cable. It seems to charge fine and did not take too long. Because of the possibility of excessive current draw, I am careful not to use the Nook cable for anything except the Nook or iPad chargers (1.9 and 2.0 Amps).

Last edited:

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried. The nook cable does not fit at all in my phone. Comparing it to a standard Micro usb, it's about 2mm longer, so it actually hits the bottom of the plug before plugging all the way in. So the cable is a no go. The charger with a standard cable seems like it should work fine though for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke