Best/Most Stable OS Version and Configuration?

Best/Most Stable NC Root OS/Configuration

• Total voters

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm doing the advanced research to root a NC for a friend. I wanted to get a feel for the best overall configuration after rooting. I want to know what OS version and installation method provides the best overall user experience. Stability is the most important factor as my friend is not a highly technical user.

Please vote in the poll and provide any additional information or opinion that you might have.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried rooted stock plus both Froyo and Honeycomb via SD. I really like the looks of Honeycomb, but it is definitely not stable enough for me at this point. Froyo seemed OK, but not impressive. I've been using rooted Eclair for the past few weeks and am happy with that for now. I will consider a solid version of Honeycomb when that becomes available.

vandoc#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
A vote for Phiremod v4.1 Gingerbread. If anyone else has found a more smooth running ROM than Phiremod Gingerbread I would like to hear it.

sorheim

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
A vote for Phiremod v4.1 Gingerbread. If anyone else has found a more smooth running ROM than Phiremod Gingerbread I would like to hear it.

Phiremod 4.1 Gingerbread gets my vote too. The only negative is I have yet to find a way to get YouTube working.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

weendex

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I like rooted stock because as much as I like to mess around with the NC as a tablet, 90% of the usage is still as an e-reader. Stock Root is super stable, it is an android tablet, AND it is still a nook color.

vandoc#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Phiremod 4.1 Gingerbread gets my vote too. The only negative is I have yet to find a way to get YouTube working.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

I have Youtube working through Dolphin HD and Flash. I uninstalled the built in Flash using Titanium Backup Pro. Titanium comes with the ROM. I went to Backup/Restore Tab>Adobe Flash Player 10.1>uninstall. I then went to market and reinstalled Flash from the market. Flash works now, and also survives reboots. On the Phiremod thread at XDADevelopers, some people state that you have to reinstall flash after reboots, but I haven't encountered that.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
+1 for rooted stock. Rock solid stability once you Tinker with it. I would suggest you look at some of the methods to turn off the OTA though if you want to make sure your friend doesn't have any issues with an update causing them to lose root.

To be fair, I have not tried Phiremod, so I can't comment on that. When I rooted our Nook Color for my wife, I wanted to use the best option that would keep her from experiencing problems and rooted stock seemed to be the nicest. She's getting a ton of use out of it with no issues so far. Best app for her by far is OverDrive since it allows her an endless supply of free ebooks via our local library.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning towards stock root (2.1), at least at first. Is there a workaround for Flash, though? I think the apk requires Froyo.

dstrauss#IM

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had good success with emmc Android 2.2. It's been very stable (2 weeks now) and after fixing market, can see almost all available software. That said, like most of us, I dream of a stable Honeycomb ROM as the holy grail. I've tried the microSD loading version, and although it has little software support, it is such a superior tablet experience that I am almost convinced to throw caution to the wind...ALMOST that is. It is just not a daily driver. Honeycomb with bluetooth sauce - that's the recipe for me!

Arupaeo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I voted for rooted stock. Extremely stable and you still have all of the book reader/movie player functionality.

I voted for rooted stock as well. Very stable, and until HC is fully functional (ie stable with a useful and dependable bluetooth range) I'll play with the other builds off SD, but not install them internally.

However, I'll be damned if I can get the movie player to actually play anything on the stock and look good...

:confused:

It only wants mp4s, and that's all I've been trying to use, but small files are jumpy and large files have horrendous lag/synch issues...

:'(

xxiworld

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I voted for rooted stock as well. Very stable, and until HC is fully functional (ie stable with a useful and dependable bluetooth range) I'll play with the other builds off SD, but not install them internally.

However, I'll be damned if I can get the movie player to actually play anything on the stock and look good...

:confused:

It only wants mp4s, and that's all I've been trying to use, but small files are jumpy and large files have horrendous lag/synch issues...

:'(

If you use Dalgrin's OC Kernel and Vitalplayer, I find that the video performance is much better. HD files still won't play smoothly, but you can play any file type and most of the sound synch issues are eliminated or minimized (depending on the file). Files converted to MP4s with Handbrake and the correct settings play absolutely flawlessly, though that takes time and for SD video files, I am finding that it is easier just to drop the avi onto the card and the performance is still pretty good.

littlebone

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am another who voted for rooted stock. I have tried Froyo & Honeycomb from SD card, but prefer the stability of the rooted stock Eclair. I, too, will wait for a stable, rooted Honeycomb.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Honeycomb is designed for dual-core processors. I wouldn't expect to achieve great performance with it on the Nook Color ever. I would settle for rock-solid stable Froyo with all the features it entails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol