Which is the MOST STABLE and FASTEST microSD card for HoneyComb in Nook Color?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So I finally got HoneyComb working on my Nook Color (NC), residing in the microSD card using a Kingston 8GB Class 4. However, this card seems to be one of the slowest and using the HC in NC is almost unusable.

Example:
- Screen rotation takes 3-5 seconds
- Opening new app, depending on which app, can take 1-5 seconds
- Browsing certain website can make the screen unresponsive
- etc..etc..

I know that the HC version available in this website is probably still in "preview" or beta stage and some slowdown is expected, but I am not expecting it to be THIS bad. So I think the culprit is the microSD card itself.

However, I have tried many different MicroSD card and none works. I.e. it gives the "decrypt storage" error when booting up the NC. The cards I have tried are:
- Patriot 16GB Class 10
- A-Data 16GB Class 10
- Kingston 8GB Class 6

The ONLY one that works so far is Sandisk. Unfortunately, from SanDisk website, I do NOT SEE ANY card higher than Class 4.

Thus, can you recommend which is the MOST STABLE and FASTEST card? I.e. the ones that did NOT give slowdown per the examples I have given above.

ndinfla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
cards reply

So I finally got HoneyComb working on my Nook Color (NC), residing in the microSD card using a Kingston 8GB Class 4. However, this card seems to be one of the slowest and using the HC in NC is almost unusable.

Example:
- etc..etc..

I know that the HC version available in this website is probably still in "preview" or beta stage and some slowdown is expected, but I am not expecting it to be THIS bad. So I think the culprit is the microSD card itself.

However, I have tried many different MicroSD card and none works. I.e. it gives the "decrypt storage" error when booting up the NC. The cards I have tried are:
- Patriot 16GB Class 10
- A-Data 16GB Class 10
- Kingston 8GB Class 6

The ONLY one that works so far is Sandisk. Unfortunately, from SanDisk website, I do NOT SEE ANY card higher than Class 4.

Thus, can you recommend which is the MOST STABLE and FASTEST card? I.e. the ones that did NOT give slowdown per the examples I have given above.

I currently am running froyo, HC and Cm7 from sd. All are burned on trancend 8gb class 6 cards. I have not experienced any lag or slowdown on any of the systems.
Hope this helps

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I to have a trascend 8gb class 6, and its worlds slower than my class 4 scandisc, and only slightly faster than my class 2.. Maybe I got a fake, or a bad card.. But if you read reviews they seem to be a hit and miss. I would stay away from them and go with Scandisc or some other major brand that you can trust.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am the only one with a crappy transcend on here..

how hard was it to set up daul booting compared to rooting or setting up a sd card?

miata492

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had excellent luck with ADATA Class 6 8gb and 16gb cards running froyo and honeycomb. I tried both on a Kingston Class 4 and it was terrible. I am now running CM7 nightly 17 from emmc while my wife is running custom nookie froyo from one of the ADATA's (so we can still do the kids books from stock when necessary)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

panamamike

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Example:
- etc..etc..

- Patriot 16GB Class 10
- A-Data 16GB Class 10
- Kingston 8GB Class 6

Note that relying on class alone isn't really enough. Typically smaller cards of the same class will be faster. Meaning a class 4 2GB flash should be faster than an class 4 8GB card.

Not all cards are created equally. Two cards may have the class X label, but one may be much faster than the other. I've found cards typically meet class designation specs, but only for sequential read and write.

I find the random read and write numbers to be much more telling. For example I tested a couple Class 10 16GB microsd cards, they had 20Mbps Read and Write speeds, but a paltry 1Mbps write 512k random.

I then tried an 8gb class 6 flash microsd that has 15Mbps read write, but a 2 Mbps write on 512k random. This card works pretty well with froyo.

I finally settled on a Class 4 16Gb Sandisk flash that has 2Mbps 512k random writes, and 2Mbps 4k random writes. These numbers are what makes media like this fast. Even though the sequential rights come in at 6Mbps, it performed much better than the Class 10 counterparts.

Note that speed also depends on the device using it. You can have the same card in two different devices and it will be 20Mbps on one, but only 10Mbps on another. Not sure why the performance varies so much, just know that it does.

It would be nice to know just how fast the Nook microsd card device can go. Then we could select an optimal flash card to meet its needs.

Mike

revhappy

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I was at first using a class 2 SD MicroCenter brand, I was excited just to boot up Froyo and Market on it at first but the excitement wore off because of all the lag and instability. I decided to look for a Sandisk, couldn't find anything more than a class 4 8 GB at a reasonable price, but I'd heard some folks here had no problem running the class 2 SanDisk so I went for it. It came in today, I loaded up Froyo, Market, started Dloading a ton of apps and browsing simultaneously and not a glitch. I'm now much more satisfied with the NookColor. I'd look into SanDisk, seems to be a very trustworthy brand, go Class 4 and up and it should be running like butter!:)

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I was at first using a class 2 SD MicroCenter brand, I was excited just to boot up Froyo and Market on it at first but the excitement wore off because of all the lag and instability. I decided to look for a Sandisk, couldn't find anything more than a class 4 8 GB at a reasonable price, but I'd heard some folks here had no problem running the class 2 SanDisk so I went for it. It came in today, I loaded up Froyo, Market, started Dloading a ton of apps and browsing simultaneously and not a glitch. I'm now much more satisfied with the NookColor. I'd look into SanDisk, seems to be a very trustworthy brand, go Class 4 and up and it should be running like butter!:)

My Local Walmat has 8 gb class 4 sandisks for $20 im running hc v4 and froyo both on them and they seen to run good. now i'm running gingerbread internally
and it's much better. waiting for new version honeycomb berore going back to it