Question about Nook

Pghosty

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
If i was to go out and buy a barnes and noble nook today, from bn, i relize this is a book reader but could i wipe it and turn it into a full fledged droid tablet running froyo or ginger bread.

Iam a lil confused on this with the nook. without the book reader stuff. just a pure droid tablet with all the goodies it has?

like an alternative to spending money on a xoom or a streak?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can turn it into an honest to goodness Android tablet. In fact, I believe there is a Honeycomb ROM floating around in addition to the Gingerbread ROM.

gerfena

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
The short answer is yes to both questions. Technically you would not have to wipe the OS, the stock Nook color runs on android 2.1. After rooting and adding market/google apps it will have many features that a generic android tablet would have.

You could go other routes and install nookie froyo, cm7 or deeper blues honeycomb OS's. I personally tried all of them and found nookie froyo was best everyday use OS for myself. I would try them all out, and make your own decisions.

Pghosty

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well i think iam going to go this route i was sure the whole low down on this. Right now i have a optimus v which i love but i been looking at these tablets i wouldnt mind something a lil bit bigger ( wanna do a away with my pc) but i didnt wanna spend the crazy prices on like a xoom or a streak or whatever and dont want to be locked into a contact. I been into droid for quite a bit now and my eyes opening to the tablets out there and i picked up a nookie and i loved it but the book readrer os and how you are locked into BN.

Let me ask this, is there any cdma versions so i could bring it over to a carrier like virgin or so?

Thank you for the honest answers.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Nook Color is WiFi only, part of the reason why it is so inexpensive. There's no cellular radios in it like for CDMA or GSM. CyanogenMod has picked up the Nook Color as one of the devices they officially develop their ROM. That's a good sign. They've kept devices alive and kicking well after the manufacturer and carrier quit providing updates.

Pghosty

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the nook got any sensors like a proximity sensor or anything special, whats the sd limit size on it. specs. i will just do a google on specs see if i can find something but if you know a good page that provides the full detailed specs that would be great.

I was going to go the archos root but i am kinda skeptical since one came into my company for repair speakers went out and didnt boot, was bricked

Bocklar

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I did this exact thing ( went out and bought the nook, then flashed to HoneyComb on internal memory immediately) yesterday and after a night of messing with it I have it pretty stable as a android tablet

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I wanted an ipad (the dreaded enemy) but it was waiting for the ipad 2. When the galaxy tab came out I thought it was better suited for me but I was not going to pay $500 for it. Next logical step was the nook. I love it. For $200 (eBay special and while back) I have a great tablet. Rooted stock is perfect for me, I have a froyo sd card and when honeycomb is fully functional I will be using that. If power specs, cameras, and bigger size is what I want later, I'll buy something else down the road and restore this to stock rooted for more wife. She wants an ereader. Add this to my rooted Dinc and I can tether for free wherever I want.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Does the nook got any sensors like a proximity sensor or anything special, whats the sd limit size on it. specs. i will just do a google on specs see if i can find something but if you know a good page that provides the full detailed specs that would be great.

I was going to go the archos root but i am kinda skeptical since one came into my company for repair speakers went out and didnt boot, was bricked

I believe the only sensor is gravity to switch between portrait and landscape display modes. Micro SD cards up to 32 GB are supported. Some people seem to be having trouble with Class 10 cards. I have used SanDisk Class 4 without any issues and they seem pretty fast.

Specs are at NOOK Color - Technical Specs. eReader, eBook Reader - Barnes?&?Noble.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I feel like a boy among men, but I went the autonooter route. It works extremely smooth and I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have full access to the B&N functions and the Android Market apps.

I am using Zeam for a homescreen and Dolphin HD browser. This also gives me full access to my 16 GB class 8 sd card.

Pghosty

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So when people are saying SD Froyo card. Is the droid os running off the sd card the whole time? and not in the rom of the device?

I was reading last night on its specs does it really have 8gb of internal memory? So you can install apps and so forth.

Does bluetooth work with the gingerbread and froyo roms?

What external ports does it have i didnt get a good look at it @bn... i mean like headphone? usb of course i noticed that.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Headphone and micro USB

I ran nookie froyo for awhile but just put the latest cm7 on and I totally prefer the cm7. But JMHO ;)
I run off the device memory