Stock Rooted - how to get amazon market and Angry Birds Rio

USC Justice

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
OK, I have been playing for the last hour or so trying to get the Amazon App Store onto my Nook Color so that I can put Angry Birds Rio on it. Any suggestions? It says that I cannot run apps that are not in the market.

thanks in advance.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the Amazon app to my computer and installed with adb.

However when I try to use the Amazon app store to install an app, it downloads and then I get the message,

"Installation of download apks is not supported".

I have enabled non-market apps, but that didn't help.

elrock

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was getting the same error until I did this: Under NookColor Tools, uncheck and then recheck the box to allow non-market apps. Then reboot your Nook.

thecarline

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I got it to work on my stock;

at first i got the same error; after downloading the APK from my email; but then i went to "nook color tools" then reclicked "Allow Non-market Apps". Then went back to the download and installed. Had no issues since, including installing all three angry birds and another mail program.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I got it to work on my stock;

at first i got the same error; after downloading the APK from my email; but then i went to "nook color tools" then reclicked "Allow Non-market Apps". Then went back to the download and installed. Had no issues since, including installing all three angry birds and another mail program.

That did it! Thanks.

legion of doo

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The amazon appstore apk isn't really stable on my honeycomb setup. It seems to want constant access to the internet. Rio crashed trying to call up ads or something. It even made my non-amazon Angry Birds & AB Seasons unstable/crash-prone.

Un-installing the amazon apk fixed the AB games that came from the market, but Rio was no longer playable.

I think i'll wait for Rio to hit the Android market. I don't want to deal with the amazon apk until others have done more testing.

jeregano

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I did it and had no problem. Here is the trick:

After you download the amazon appstore .apk you have to use root explorer to move it from the downloads folder to the apps folder.
The downloads are under
Media/
My Files/
My Downloads

The apk after you download it from amazon should be there, then you want to move it to
data/
apps

Boom! You have the amazon market. I downloaded the Angry Birds Rio after that from the app store as normal.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I did it and had no problem. Here is the trick:

After you download the amazon appstore .apk you have to use root explorer to move it from the downloads folder to the apps folder.
The downloads are under
Media/
My Files/
My Downloads

The apk after you download it from amazon should be there, then you want to move it to
data/
apps

Boom! You have the amazon market. I downloaded the Angry Birds Rio after that from the app store as normal.

downloaded and installed the appstore and rio without any issues on internal HC. But when I launch Rio, the app crashes when it loads the first level.

kowyzg0moo

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can also resolve this issue by going to Settings > Applications > All (Tab) > Google Framework Services. Press both "Clear Cache" and "Force Quit/Stop" and restart your Nook. It'll resolve any if not all issues with Google sync, Google Services and Android Market.

Hope this helps!

heltoupee

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Another tip

For those of us that got here by Googleing, here's what finally let me install the Amazon app store:

1.) Root your nook with 1.2 software version using ManualNooter.
2.) Uncheck and re-check the "Allow Non-Market Apps" in "Nook Color Tools".
3.) Power off and power back on the Nook Color.
4.) Click the link in the Amazon email. If you've already installed Opera, or another browser, make sure to complete the action using the Nook's built-in browser to avoid the need for an SD card. I didn't try it with Opera, but it should work, as long as you've got your SD card installed. (You'll have to pick this 4 or 5 times, once for each redirect).
5.) Once the .apk downloads, the download icon in the lower left notification area will stop moving, tap it, then tap the .apk.
6.) It will ask you again to choose how to complete the action. Choose the bottom one. It is called "Package Installer". You can set this as default, because the top one "App Installer" NEVER works.
7.) Pick install, and enjoy!

If you didn't set it as default, you'll have to make this choice each time you install something from Amazon. For some reason, Amazon App Store also requires you to have an SD card installed to download anything.

Hope that helps!

Adrock77

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Another tip

6.) It will ask you again to choose how to complete the action. Choose the bottom one. It is called "Package Installer". You can set this as default, because the top one "App Installer" NEVER works.
7.) Pick install, and enjoy!

If you didn't set it as default, you'll have to make this choice each time you install something from Amazon. For some reason, Amazon App Store also requires you to have an SD card installed to download anything.

Hope that helps!

What if you set the App Installer as the default? Is there a way to change it back? Thanks!

Adrock77

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Got the Appstore dl'ed. The problem I'm now having is that when I download something from Amazon Appstore, it force closes just before the download/install is finished. Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781