How voided is my warrant? (=

hefflm

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I am running CM7 nightly on my NC, but I noticed recently that the device has a physical defect. It almost feels like the material inside is coming apart. It is most noticeable when holding the NC in a landscape manner. I hear a little popping when I hold one side of it and again when I release my grip. My wife's device does not do this, so I went to the store to check the display model. There is definitely something going on with my NC, as the store device did not exhibit this behavior either.

So I can revert back to stock rooted, but it is still rooted... So will B&N fix this or say that its not their problem since the device has had its software changed.

I know this is a completely hardware related issue. It is definitely not an environmental issue, as both my wife and I have our NCs in silicone skins inside of neoprene cases. The humidity in our home is about average with the temperatures ranging between 67-70 degrees Fahrenheit. We do not travel with the devices. I am really convinced that this is some sort of manufacturer defect, as the device has not a single scratch.

Any input from you scholarly fellows (and gals?)

hefflm

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I read that thread and thought that would bring me back to stock rooted. I suppose I should be more thorough when reading through posts. I read another post on here about some one not having luck with the 8 failed boots, but I will give it a shot! I really appreciate the advice.

hefflm

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Worked great, thanks E_man. Anyone know how to verify if the root is "gone" from stock NC OS? This is probably a really lame question, but how would you even know if you had access to the root directory from the locked down stock OS?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting question. I haven't got the faintest idea. Didn't 1.1 remove root on any 1.0.1 devices? If it did, you could just update to that (assuming you are on 1.0.1) to be sure.

However, you will want to confirm that that is what it did. Most of me thinks it removed root. Part of me thinks it may have bricked the rooted nooks instead. I honestly cannot remember :/

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the answer to your question but I can say that I my first Nook had the same problem that yours does: a popping noise from the back cover. Hubby took it in and checked the store model and it was nice and tight. I was able to exchange it for a new one and it was just fine. But that popping noise was making me crazy!

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same problem, the back cover seems a little loose and will pop occasionally. the way this thing is built makes me think taking it apart would be fairly easy. Wish I could find some info on that as I'd take it apart and fix it myself.

met67

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this can help:

NOOKcolor Teardown | ZDNet

if you find a way to fix it, please post your findings, my cover is loose too!

I've got the same problem, the back cover seems a little loose and will pop occasionally. the way this thing is built makes me think taking it apart would be fairly easy. Wish I could find some info on that as I'd take it apart and fix it myself.

hefflm

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update for everyone... B&N has the best warranty service ever! I called them last night at 6 PM EST and will be receiving my new NC today when the UPS man comes, at around 4 PM. They paid for shipping both ways, no hassle on the phone and they confirmed that I would be receiving a brand new unit, not a refurb. Hope this helps you folks with the popping noise.

met67

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update for everyone... B&N has the best warranty service ever! I called them last night at 6 PM EST and will be receiving my new NC today when the UPS man comes, at around 4 PM. They paid for shipping both ways, no hassle on the phone and they confirmed that I would be receiving a brand new unit, not a refurb. Hope this helps you folks with the popping noise.
I wish they supported NOOKs from Italy :)