Nookie Rookie

JPD1937

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Recent purchase of the Color Nook - Not really a techi, so not inclined to root it, don't want to do a lot with it anyway - mail works OK - and as a reader it's great -

I would love to put some other apps on tho - a decent contact list with more info than just email address - a calendar - both of which to synch with my Outlook data - (Must be simple my old palm treo does it !) :confused:
B&N Salesperson indicated an update to the android core would be coming soon - In fact was overdue - anyone know anything about that ?

Am also having problems with some music - seems it likes some formats but not all ??? and the sound is terrible !

Anyway - looking forward to reading/hearing more about the new 'toy'

Pete

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) was delayed, but is supposedly coming in April. Most rumors indicate that it will have a stripped-down version of the Android Market but I haven't seen any list of the apps to be available.

sherryterry1

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The "Nook" Facebook "page" has been posting "previews" of potential apps. Angry Birds was the 1st one posted!! :) (just like the page & you will review info as it comes available)

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Recent purchase of the Color Nook - Not really a techi, so not inclined to root it, don't want to do a lot with it anyway - mail works OK - and as a reader it's great -

I would love to put some other apps on tho - a decent contact list with more info than just email address - a calendar - both of which to synch with my Outlook data - (Must be simple my old palm treo does it !) :confused:
B&N Salesperson indicated an update to the android core would be coming soon - In fact was overdue - anyone know anything about that ?

Am also having problems with some music - seems it likes some formats but not all ??? and the sound is terrible !

Anyway - looking forward to reading/hearing more about the new 'toy'

Pete

So basically, you want the benefits of rooting without having to root? You're limited with the feature set the Nook comes with if you do not root. There's no "built-in press this button to unlock the android market" feature on the nook.

The actual rooting process takes 2 minutes and it just requires plugging in an SD card. You will want to read the directions and take your time settings things up though.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I love to tinker, hence I jumped on the $199 eBay sale that B&N had. I used Autonooter, and it was simple to root my Nook. The only complaint I have is the wifi is flaky when the unit wakes up, and usually requires you to reconnect to your desired network. Not a big issue, and I think there is a workaround if I spent a few minutes researching. Otherwise I've installed tons of market aps.

Now going beyond just rooting the existing 2.1 Android setup can be complicated. I've successfully run Honeycomb from an SD card, but that's just for playing. I'd love to try our 2.2/Froyo from an SD card to see if it will properly support my employer's setup to get my work mail/calendar. But again, it gets complicated quickly, and is beyond my desire to read hundreds (thousands?) of forum posts to fully understand what I'm doing.

If you are up for just the simple rooting to gain installing aps, it's very easy. However the coming official update might complicate things a little more - i.e. requiring you to learn how to flash back the stock ROM and then root the new system (when it's available). Or maybe it will have enough functionality for you that you won't have to root it.