New User w/ a couple of questions

NookAnon

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, new guy here. I have already read over the threads on how to root NC, run homeycomb off sd card, or install homeycomb internally. My questions are:

1. What provides the best performance?
2. Is the current honeycomb build better than the 2.2 update coming from b& n (in terms of capabilities)?
3. When the full version of honeycomb is released will it have to be reflashed On?
4. Is there a reader app out that works with the 2nd ed honeycomb Build?

Any assistance will be greatly Appreciated!

picopir8

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Before you think about flashing HC to the internal memory, first try running CM7 on an SD card for a few days, then try running HC on the SD card for a few more days. Ill bet that you will stick with CM7. I got my nook for HC, but it is still a little rough around the edges for daily use. I ended up booting to the stock firmware until I tried CM7.

As for your questions
1) Internal memory will certainly be faster unless you have a class 10 card
2) HC is still a little rough, the new stock firmware will certainly be more polished, but it will likely be more restricted as well (ie not possible to download competitor apps. CM7 is pretty polished though. I think it will give the stock firmware a run for its money.
3) Yes, any new version will need to be flashed. Flashing simply means writing a new image to flash. Only the stock firmware automates the process. It is a manual process for custom firmwares.
4) Not sure, HC lasted about 1 day on my device.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted stock on the internal memory and both CM7 and Honeycomb on SD cards. By rooting the stock firmware, you can access a large number of apps and do a bit of customizing. It is more stable, but lacks some of the features of the newer versions. I'm planning to upgrade to the new Froyo-based B&N firmware, rooting it, and will compare the performance before deciding to install CM7 or Honeycomb. Hopefully a stable version of Honeycomb will be available before long.

NookAnon

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your quick Responses! I think I'll take pico's advice and tru rooted stock and run the other OS's of sd card. Is there a good app to download to view pdf's with as a lot of my books are that format and the stock view Sucks?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty