strange behavior

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
My color nook works fine 99% of the time. But in my bedroom, on the second floor of my house, it goes crazy. The keyboard types by itself, pages of a book turn by themselves and the home screen changes panels. If I believed in ghosts I would think there is an anti-nook ghost.

What might be causing this strange behavior?

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Soft cloth, sprayer filled with 1/3 isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and the rest water. Spray a light mist on the cloth, not the screen. Wipe the screen and dry with the dry side of the soft cloth.

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Soft cloth, sprayer filled with 1/3 isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and the rest water. Spray a light mist on the cloth, not the screen. Wipe the screen and dry with the dry side of the soft cloth.

Thanks for the instructions . I was not charging my nook and the screen was cleaned. I also disconnected from the internet. I still could not use my nook. Might there be some electrical interference?
It's a shame. I enjoy reading in bed but I can't use my nook there. Forced to use physical books upstairs.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Any thing that effects the conductivity of the screen or your skin can have this effect. If your fingers are wet or the screen gets wiped you see this issue.

sent from my NC

Taegost

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have this issue often, and it's not just in the same place every time... Sometimes it works fine for hours, other times it freaks out every minute or two... The only thing I've found to help is just keep locking and unlocking the screen, and if it's too bad, then keep rebooting until it works right.
Even after cleaning the screen, which I don't do as often as I should :)

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue often, and it's not just in the same place every time... Sometimes it works fine for hours, other times it freaks out every minute or two... The only thing I've found to help is just keep locking and unlocking the screen, and if it's too bad, then keep rebooting until it works right.

Yes, I found that it happens not only on my second floor. Could the fact that it is rooted (auto-nook 3.0) have any impact on my nook's behavior/

Taegost

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Stevek - I don't think rooting it by itself can cause it, but some of the things you can do after rooting can. I don't have my HC rooted yet... Been too lazy to do it, honestly :)
I've noticed also that I have the same problem in Nookie, it's just not as pronounced as it is in HC.
Paladin - That's actually the only time it doesn't do it for me, is the first couple minutes following a reboot.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So it starts a few min after, weird..

So the next logical step dictates that it is something with the location of course. The only thing I can think of that changes location room to room is the network signal.

Maybe the signal in that room is not good and for some reason it is acting up trying to obtain and keep a good Wi-Fi signal. This is of course if you have it Wi-Fi on. Have you tried turning Wi-Fi off? If not try that and let us know if that helps.

Either way it should not do that but maybe if it is that we can try to figure out the next step.

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So it starts a few min after, weird..

So the next logical step dictates that it is something with the location of course. The only thing I can think of that changes location room to room is the network signal.

Maybe the signal in that room is not good and for some reason it is acting up trying to obtain and keep a good Wi-Fi signal. This is of course if you have it Wi-Fi on. Have you tried turning Wi-Fi off? If not try that and let us know if that helps.

Either way it should not do that but maybe if it is that we can try to figure out the next step.

I've experimented by turning the wifi off (on the second floor) Did not help

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've experimented by turning the wifi off (on the second floor) Did not help

Hmmm.. Another thing I thought of is are you holding it on top of you or a blanket when using it upstairs that you don't elsewhere? Maybe it is a heat issue with it not being able to vent properly.. I am just tossing ideas out there. i:)i

You have to figure out what exactly is different between the locations. If it does not do it at all on the lower floor it has to be something consistent you are doing different when you are on the 2nd floor.. the way you hold it.. something...

If not yeah it is ghosts... i:)i

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

I took off the cover I bought and it did not act up. I think it may be a matter of heat. If you have a cover, take it off and see if there is any change.

Last edited:

Arupaeo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions . I was not charging my nook and the screen was cleaned. I also disconnected from the internet. I still could not use my nook. Might there be some electrical interference?
It's a shame. I enjoy reading in bed but I can't use my nook there. Forced to use physical books upstairs.

If it is EM interference, you could always build a Faraday cage around your bed to block it out. As long as you aren't married, it shouldn't be much trouble to surround your bed with a wire mesh screen, and Lowes or Home Depot should have everything you need.

Sure, it makes you seem like a complete nutjob, but is it really such a high price to pay to enjoy reading your nook color in bed? And if anyone asks, just tell them you really, really don't like mosquitoes...

:p

Seriously though, that really sucks and I'm sorry it is happening to you. You might check around to see if you have cable TV wires running by your bed that you could reroute, or try replacing any old power strips in the room with newer and better insulated models.

Taegost

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I took off the cover I bought and it did not act up. I think it may be a matter of heat. I took off the cover I bought and it did not act up. I think it may be a matter of heat. If you have a cover, take it off and see if there is any change.

I don't have a cover on mine anymore (It was too heavy with it on and I couldn't fit it in my jacket pocket) and I didn't use it a lot when it had the cover, but I do hold it pretty much the same way each time, I hold my hand at the bottom and just rest the Nook in it (Kinda like a docking cradle) but I make sure I'm not touching the touch screen portion...
Unless the bar where the N button is located is also touch sensitive, in which case, that's probably my issue 'cuz that's where I hold it to keep it from flipping out of my hand.
Arupaeo - I like that idea... I could tell people it's just a huge dreamcatcher and they wouldn't think twice about it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz