Booting from sd card and ereaders--help

timothyh

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I?m using an sd card 8gb class 10 to load honeycomb. How does one side load ebooks to an e reader on the sd card? I assume that all things android are saved to the boot sector? I really just want to experiment, but I like honeycomb, and would like to try readers on the android platform. I have no trouble downloading from bn and amazon from my libraries at their sites to their e readers, but I would like to use other ereaders. Secondly, if rooted and changed to another android platform, do e books load to the memory of the nook well?

Thanks much!

dschoemaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I use Dropbox to sideload pdf ebooks onto my NC. Works great, takes a little while for the Nook App to "pick them up" as being there. But once found it works fine.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Dropbox to sideload pdf ebooks onto my NC. Works great, takes a little while for the Nook App to "pick them up" as being there. But once found it works fine.

What directory do you place them in? I haven't had any luck with either Nook or Aldiko.

timothyh

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried aldiko too with no luck. I received a response from another site and they said that the sd card has four partitions--two with fat, and the other two are lenox or android related. His answer was one could not side load books to readers on the sd card. Calibre recognized the sd card and loads books, but only to the fat partitions. I can see the book on the card from both my computer and the nook. Does dropbox sideload books that can be recognized by readers located on the card?

timothyh

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just used dropbox to download a file from my computer. Can download using the browser on honeycomb, and load into an e reader. So far has worked with fbreader and aldiko. Great! Thanks much for your suggestion to use dropbox. I never heard of the site before.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox is fairly slow (but ebooks are small). I have installed a ftp server app and used filezilla on my Mac to transfer files. Someone on another forum recommended using Astro File Manager (if you touch the filename, it will ask if you want to install it to Aldiko). I still haven't figured out how to get the Nook reader to access them.

dschoemaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
They come into my Nook into my /mnt/sdcard/dropbox/Books folder. I then use Astro Manager to move them to /mnt/sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments.

Dropbox is certainly not instantaneous. But it takes longer for the Nook to see the epubs in /MyDocuments than the transfer takes. One time it took 2 hours...