Replacement Charging and/or data cable?

johnjohntc

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get another charging/data cable for the Nook Color. I've tried random USB A to microUSB cables without luck. The B&N site specifically states that we're supposed to use a special cable. Apparently this is because of the 200mAh charging "requiement" vs. the 500mAh USB stadard.

From the PC Mag review:
Turns out the cable that comes with the Nook Color has a few extra pins in it, to enable faster charging. The custom connector supports 2000mAh charging, whereas most mobile electronics use 500mAh chargers. This is limiting, since it significantly reduces your charging options, but it isn't much different than the proprietary charger that's required with the iPad.

Some users report that generic MicroUSB cables will trickle-charge the Nook Color as long as the screen and WiFi are off. :-/

Has anyone found a replacement cable that works for fast charging? The B&N web site shows this product as out of stock. None of the local stores have one.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't even move or effectively use my NC while it's plugged into the charger. If I do it will flicker the screen on and off with the 'n' rapidly changing from orange to green. The only thing I don't like about my NC so far.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
About 3 weeks ago, I went to the B&N in Spokane Valley... and the woman behind the counter told me that it was a design error; that it's currently under re-design, that B&N was aware of the problem, and oh, yeah, here's a replacement... no charge.

YMMV.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This cable also causes issues with get the NC to sync with the may lap top...

At first I thought maybe the USB port wasn't powering the cable enough to maintain sync....

Bought a powered USB hub and I still have issues...

On my second cable now.

Lego

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The original cable is designed to work with the original charger. The original cable has connections that let the NC draw more power from the charger. So you need to make sure it the cable is paired with a charger that is rated at 1900 mah or higher. I have a 3rd party charger for the iPad and it works fine with this cable.

I use a 1AMP charger and "regular" USB cable quite often with my NC. This setup charges that unit just fine, but takes longer and does not display charging when the cable is first plugged in.

Arupaeo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This cable also causes issues with get the NC to sync with the may lap top...

At first I thought maybe the USB port wasn't powering the cable enough to maintain sync....

Bought a powered USB hub and I still have issues...

On my second cable now.

Lego

I have also experienced issues connecting to a laptop that aren't there when connecting to a desktop - screen flickers, nook connects/disconnects sporadically for a few minutes until it finally settles down, can debug but cant mount the nook, etc. It appears to me that when a full charge is not being drawn it really fraks things up...

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am using my HTC Evo plug when I am at the office...it will charge it but about half as fast as the OEM Nook charger. That is fine with me as long as I can do a full charge with the OEM at night.

Although, yesterday, my Nook was at 35% charge and I hooked up the HTC charger at 11am. By 3pm when I got back from lunch and an appointment, it was fully charged.

I am taking back the spare OEM Nook charger I bought from B&N for the ridiculous amount of $25 right now.

FJ

gene howell

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I had to replace my nc cable, ordered it from Barnes & Nobel. Took ten days to come from Reno nv to .st Louis mo. The Nook end of the cable is fragile.

muaetsy

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I had to replace my nc cable, ordered it from Barnes & Nobel. Took ten days to come from Reno nv to .st Louis mo. The Nook end of the cable is fragile.

yeah the end going into the nook was kind of bent and when I went to charge the N was turning red and the nook wouldn't charge...I called B/N and they shipped me a new cable since I am still in my warranty period.

My hubby thought I would be nookless for a few days so he bought me one and then 2 days later the replacement showed up. So at least now I have a backup.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon