[WARNING] It looks like B&N 2.2 (Froyo) update is here

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I booted my Nook into rooted stock 1.1 and laid it down. A few minutes later there was an indication that an update was being installed. I thought "OOPS!"

After the update finished installing, it rebooted. I got the Android animation and it froze with the Android still displayed.

I finally got what looked like my normal startup screen, sliding the circle didn't get things going. I tried shutting down, but it took several tries before it took. I then did a factory reset:

Hold the power key and upside-down n for several seconds. It will indicate a failure. Repeat and it will ask if you want to restore factory settings. Press the upside-down n a couple of times and it will reset. You should now be back at version 1.0.0.

You will need to redo your B&N account settings.

I checked the B&N website and it only lists the 1.1 sideload update. Hopefully there will be something for 2.2 available soon (as well as a rooting procedure).

Those who have rooted their NC and have not already done so may want to disable automatic updates per this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...update-disable-1-1-auto-update-keep-root.html.

picopir8

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So once you got back to stock, did you allow the update to progress or did you re-root before setting up wifi?

My question for anyone who may have updated is whether it still allows booting from the microSD card. I am happily running CM7 on the microSD but periodically boot to the stock so I can use the nook as B&N intended me to use it. If I can still boot off the card, then I will happily update. Otherwise, if they no longer allow card updates then I will hold off booting to stock until someone finds a way to root it.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It went back to 1.0.0. I downloaded the 1.1 sideload, but it didn't install (?)

Hopefully the new update will be pushed again soon, but it will require a new autonooter. I suspect that it will still boot from a SD card in any case. I screwed up my SD of CM7 and was about to reinstall it when this happened. I'll get it going again later today, but won't touch the stock version on the eMMC.

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Can we get corroboration on this?
Has anyone else seen an update (or anything that looks like one)?
Roberto, had you made any other changes recently that might have caused this? I know that it happened to me once after wiping some GApp data, and I've seen threads elsewhere of the same thing happening to others.
I'm a little skeptical about this being the only mention anywhere on all the interwebs about the update going out today...

That said, I still texted my girlfriend to ask her to turn off my Nook at home, just in case ;)

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm skeptical also, just reporting my observations. I don't know what else would cause an image to appear on the screen indicating an upgrade was in process.

However I haven't seen any other reports, so....

I haven't re-rooted and probably will hold off doing so until I know more about what might be going on.

Reactions: Michael Ferrel

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Unless you want the standard book reader functionality like I do. :->

Why can't you still run that when on CM7?
There is a Nook app that is there with CM7 and you can log onto BaN's app for your books etc..
When that is running it is the exact same reader etc... as the stock Nook library etc...

Last edited:

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
There is a Nook app that is there with CM7 and you can log onto BaN's app for your books etc..
When that is running it is the exact same reader etc... as the stock Nook library etc...
CM7 RULES BTW!!!!

there are several reasons to want to use the BN NookColor software that is stock... first, not all content is available with the Nook Android app... things like magazines, newspapers, and the childrens books that read to you, etc are not available.
Second, you lose out on the "In Store" special features, like reading books for free for up to an hour a day.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
there are several reasons to want to use the BN NookColor software that is stock... first, not all content is available with the Nook Android app... things like magazines, newspapers, and the childrens books that read to you, etc are not available.
Second, you lose out on the "In Store" special features, like reading books for free for up to an hour a day.

Oh sorry you need all of that. i:)i

Tedcas

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

The Nook App is quite different than stock. No magazines, kids books or preview reading while in B&N are available on the Nook app. A lot of folks will run an OS off their SD cards just to keep the functionality of the stock reader.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

The reader components may be sort of the same, but is a subset of the full experience. I have magazine subscriptions and other features that are not available. I use the NC as a reader first and got a tablet as bonus, not the other way around.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The Nook app is not the same. It won't do magazines. I've run out of Adobe authorizations and can't read library books with it. Fortunately, when I reset my Nook, it still worked for downloading from Adobe Digital Editions.

meeddrew

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
im confused.

is the froyo update here? or is it not?

is it actualy here? and does it have an app store?

oh and barnes and nobile's site is down so yeah...

davedawg714#AC

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I was at Barnes and Noble today and asked about the update. I was told that the update supposed to be released yesterday, but at the last minute was pulled to fix a couple outstanding issues. No details on was those glitches were, but they said the update is now scheduled for late April/early May.