I currently have version 1.1.0 installed on my Nook Color. I have rooted my nook color and have the market as well as a lot of apps.

I want to upgrade to 1.2.0 but wouldn't that unroot my nook? And if so, wouldn't all my apps (including games that I don't want the memory to erase and have to start all over) disappear?

I'm new to this rooting process and would just like some more info before updating.. And information will be greatly appreciated!
    04-25-2011 07:32 PM
    Pinkll-You read my mind exactly!!

Anyone?..... Anyone?.....Bueller?
    04-25-2011 08:15 PM
    Upgrading to 1.2.0 would require you to go back to stock currently since there isn't a rooted version of the software available yet. I went to Return your Nook Color to Stock and used the instructions there.

~Senji
    h3connie likes this.
    04-25-2011 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the response. That's what I figured have to start over in angry birds! Hah
    04-25-2011 08:29 PM
    Could not you just do a Ti backup and restore after the upgrade
    sent from my NC
    PinkL likes this.
    04-25-2011 10:38 PM
    Wow didn't even think I could back upwhen my nook was rooted.
    04-25-2011 10:40 PM
    What's a Ti backup?
    04-25-2011 10:42 PM
    What's a Ti backup?
    Titanium backup. Titanium is an application.
    PinkL likes this.
    04-25-2011 10:48 PM
    Wow awesome. Well I'll have to download ti and do a back up.. Thanks!! Will it be so simple by just doing a backup and restore to keep my settings on my market apps?
    04-25-2011 10:55 PM
    Upgrading to 1.2.0 would require you to go back to stock currently since there isn't a rooted version of the software available yet. I went to Return your Nook Color to Stock and used the instructions there.

~Senji
    I'm about to do this, but wanted to know something first. My NC is about a week old and was installed with 1.1. It's now rooted; the stock is for version 1.0.1. Will resetting/downgrading to 1.0.1 cause any issues?

I'd really like to upgrade to 1.2 for Flash as I need it for some school software (myMathLab). Anyone have any issues with going from 1.1 -> stock (1.0.1) -> 1.2?
    04-25-2011 11:20 PM
    Mine was at 1.1 rooted and I returned it to stock, which set it to 1.0. There were no problems upgrading to 1.2.
    04-25-2011 11:30 PM

~Senji
    Instead of doing these steps, couldn't I just ---Turn my Nook Color off. Hold down the power and the N home button until on screen notification appears. Then do a factory reset?

This is what I thought I did before when I had to reset my Nook Color and the steps is much easier.. I just don't want to do anything wrong that might mess up my device..
    04-25-2011 11:36 PM
    The lack of a root for 1.2 is going to put off the Ti Backup also. You need to be rooted to restore the apps.
    PinkL likes this.
    04-26-2011 12:11 AM
    I restored my rooted NoonColor to stock then updated to 1.2. Terrible mistake. Lost all my downloads, 1.2 didn't give me access to Marketplace apps which I had before the "upgrade". I see myself now having to spend hours to get my NookColor back to a functional state as it was in when I rooted it last January.

Sometimes upgrades are downgrades.
    04-26-2011 01:25 AM
    I still haven't done the upgrade and I am debating on if it's worth it right now. I only have 1 like application that I do want to lose information on.

Will I be able to root my nook after updating? or is it unavailable right now?
    04-28-2011 03:51 PM
    sorry- accidently double posted.
    04-28-2011 03:52 PM
    Root of the 1.2 version nook is available xda ManualNooter 4.4.27 (For Stock 1.2). I think the answer you are looking for is this...

- on your current nook setup, install Titanium backup.
    - backup your apps and settings (to sd card and/or dropbox)
    - restore your nook to stock, (be sure not to delete your Ti backup files from the sd card if you don't have them on your pc or dropbox)
    - upgrade Nook stock to 1.2.
    - root using the manual root posted above.
    - install Titanium backup
    - restore your apps & settings

Make sure you are comfortable with ALL the steps here especially the manual root BEFORE you go down this road. For what it's worth.. I have not tried this. I have put just about every other ROM available on my phone. I am currently using CM7.
    PinkL likes this.
    04-29-2011 09:08 AM
    Could not you just do a Ti backup and restore after the upgrade
    sent from my NC
    If you have a rooted nook, you can do a titanium backup of all your apps and data, but when you return to stock, and apply the 1.2 update, you will not be able to run titanium as the 1.2 has not been rooted yet. Save the SD card that you back up with, and when the new update(1.2) does get rooted, you can then root the device and restore your backup.

If you don't want to lose your angry birds data, I suggest waiting until 1.2 gets rooted. your other option is to use CM7. CM7 has flash, makes the nook a full fledged android tablet. The only drawback is you lose the stock nook applications. You can run the nook app for android, but it does lose a few features. Me, I bought it specifically as a cheap tablet ($200 vs $500 or more for an ipad/xoom/gtab), so CM7 is perfect for me.

It really depends on what you want, as to what route you take. If you want to update just because there is an update, then you might be unhappy with the end result. For me, I actually liked the rooted stock, except that it didn't have flash and mlb at batt didn't show live games. CM7 has fixed that for me. When 1.2 gets rooted, then maybe I'll use that, but for me, CM7 is where I will stay.
    04-29-2011 09:48 AM
    Root of the 1.2 version nook is available xda ManualNooter 4.4.27 (For Stock 1.2). I think the answer you are looking for is this...

- on your current nook setup, install Titanium backup.
    - backup your apps and settings (to sd card and/or dropbox)
    - restore your nook to stock, (be sure not to delete your Ti backup files from the sd card if you don't have them on your pc or dropbox)
    - upgrade Nook stock to 1.2.
    - root using the manual root posted above.
    - install Titanium backup
    - restore your apps & settings

Make sure you are comfortable with ALL the steps here especially the manual root BEFORE you go down this road. For what it's worth.. I have not tried this. I have put just about every other ROM available on my phone. I am currently using CM7.

awesome!! thank you so so much I have TI but didn't know that I could back up to SD card from there. I am going to try to do the back up and if it works I will be updating and re-rooting!
    04-29-2011 06:36 PM
    Ok so I got the update, now time to re-root, will post back with the results! Thanks again everyone for all the help!
    04-29-2011 06:38 PM
    Ok, so i am trying to root this thing.. I am having a lot of trouble with the "CWM Bootable from SD Card" step as I have no idea how to do this. I downloaded what thread thread had me download, -the 2gb clockwork and the nook cwm 3028 files, but I don't get how to put this on my SD card..

any help with this will be greatly appreciated!
    04-29-2011 08:35 PM
    You might find the instructions to create the boot SDcard at this site easier to follow

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Cyano..._Installation/

Just use the part titled create microsd bootdisk, then go back to the manual root directions starting with copying the zip file to sd

Sorry, bad link go to nookdevs.com
    Nook color portal
    Install cyanogenmod internal
    04-29-2011 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD