rooting NC 1.2.0 with B&N features

kkatrina7

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
this may be a really silly question, but can i root my nook color (1.2.0) while still retaining B&N features (read in store, purchase and download books, and special B&N apps)? if so, can someone direct me to a link or tell me how i can do that? i don't want to get rid of anything i already have on it. i've tried honeycomb on an external sd but it's saying i don't have room. fine, but if there's an easier and better option, i'm up for that!

thanks for your help! :)

roustabout

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's been rooted. Mad props to Ham and Cheese, over at xda-devs and the BN nookboards.

it's still a very manual root, and it requires you to start by removing root from 1.1, going back to stock, going to 2.2, then rooting.

I think the Amazon app store works but the Google apps don't yet (there are lots of screwy things happening in the framework in the BN 1.2.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You're going to be a lot better off waiting a few more days until all the bugs are worked out of the roots.......and it looks as if B&N has some bug killing to do also.

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I installed the root by HamNCheese, works great. It's of course time consuming as most of these things seem to be for me, but I now have B&N software with Froyo, Flash and some apps not allowed without rooting. No angry birds, sad day, but I suppose I could spend $2.99 and buy it from the B&N app shop.
I was able to load Overdrive and download free books from my library, woohoo!
Definitely worth it to me, guess I better head back over and donate!

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
harryzee - this one is great! I installed it over the first version by HamNCheese, worked beautifully! the apps I already installed remained, my nook and library books were there and I was able to install any app I could think of by reading thru the forums ;-)
THANKS!

kkatrina7

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
harryzee - this one is great! I installed it over the first version by HamNCheese, worked beautifully! the apps I already installed remained, my nook and library books were there and I was able to install any app I could think of by reading thru the forums ;-)
THANKS!
when you did the wipe it didn't delete the apps from B&N you'd previously downloaded? i just wanna be sure so i don't end up deleting everything i have on there :) just my luck that would happen

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I did wipe everything and went back to stock prior to installing the B&N update so I did lose everything at that point

then I installed the HamNCheese root, then the manualnooter root in the link above, I didn't lose anything between the HamNCheese and manualnooter roots

Reactions: brucejklein

tailleur

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
bug spray

You're going to be a lot better off waiting a few more days until all the bugs are worked out of the roots.......and it looks as if B&N has some bug killing to do also.

fmi(for my information), does B&N reissue their updates when they fix bugs? If so, how often do they do it or do they wait till they get a good number of them before reissuing?

nookie nana

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
I have CM7 7.0.0 on an SD card with my nookcolor 1.2 on the emm. It is working beautifully!! I highly recommend this dual boot if like me you are new to all of this or you want to keep your stock nook as well. I love CM7!! Wonderful, a lot of fun!

simmerin

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
To Froyo or not - 1.1 vs 1.2 - opinion wanted

I'm running rooted stock 1.1 firmware on my Nook. I've blocked OTA updates and have it configured just the way I want it, lots of apps and everything works great.

My question, is that once an auto-nooter for the new firmware becomes available is there any compelling reason to upgrade other than you can view Flash on websites with Froyo?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm running rooted stock 1.1 firmware on my Nook. I've blocked OTA updates and have it configured just the way I want it, lots of apps and everything works great.

My question, is that once an auto-nooter for the new firmware becomes available is there any compelling reason to upgrade other than you can view Flash on websites with Froyo?

The Java engine on Froyo is considerably faster so apps should run faster. (5X performance increase on Linpack benchmark)
Faster video processing
Apps can be installed on SD card so they don't take up internal memory
faster browser
Better market app
Better Wifi
Better YouTube app

simmerin

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed information. An upgrade to Froyo may be in my future once an easy rooted upgrade path becomes available.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend going with CM7--the experience is really great, it's like a real tablet.

For Nook app features, the android nook app is good enough for me--after all, I actually purchase all my books for Kindle so I may be biased here.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend going with CM7--the experience is really great, it's like a real tablet.

For Nook app features, the android nook app is good enough for me--after all, I actually purchase all my books for Kindle so I may be biased here.

The OP wanted the original nook B&N experience which cannot be duplicated with CM7.

Also, CM7 seems to have issues with power and battery life.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I've been running CM7.0.0.2 for awhile now and it, quite frankly, runs perfectly, in my experience. I'm running it from an 8GB Class 10 SD card (<=8GB class 10 cards do not seem to have the problems of the larger class 10 cards) and it screams. With the Quadrant benchmark CM7 is about double what (rooted 1.1) Eclair benched at. A really significant improvement.

The NC is so good, I just bought my wife one (at her request) for Mother's Day. I hope to have it rooted by then, with the full Android Market. Need to get a 32GB card for her for video and music.

The only reason I don't load CM7 (internally) on the other one is that it doesn't run the internal Nook Color reader app, which is, IMO, notably superior to the Android Market Nook app.

So for awhile, I'm going to be running back and forth between 1.2 (rooted, of course) and CM7. For the NC, and as a tablet OS, I prefer CM7 (Android 2.3.x) over Honeycomb. Honeycomb just doesn't feel right to me on the NC (I've run v.4 on a SD card).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting 1.2 rooted so I can benchmark it compared to 1.1 to see the improvement from there and then compare it to CM7.

Scott

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1