Nook Suddenly won't boot up - freaking out

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Nook Color two days ago. It's been running CM 7 and everything has been going smoothly; android marketplace and every app was working excellently. An hour ago, I was downloading something and the net dropped out; the download was stuck. So, I turned off the device and turned it back on.

Now it just sits (I let it go for 20 minutes once) on the "Touch the Future of Reading" screen. What's the problem, how can I fix it, and how can I keep it from happening again?

NOTE: I just tried unplugging my nook and starting it up. While plugged into the wall, turning on the device just keeps it stuck on the "Touch the Future of Reading" screen, as I mentioned above. When it's not plugged in, nothing happens; the screen doesn't turn on at all, even though when I shut down my nook it was a like 60% battery.

Last edited:
May 24, 2011
Visit site
Not enough info. Is CM7 on SD or EMMC? If SD have you tried to remove the card and reboot? If EMMC try this thread for recovery info.
Dummies Guide to Fixing 'My Nook Won't Boot' - xda-developers

Will it shut down if you hold the power button for several seconds? Don't panic. At worst you have a few hours work to restore everything. You didn't brick it unless you hit it with a brick.:)

I'm not sure what EMMC means, but it's not installed on an SD card; it's installed on the actual nook. If I hold the button for several seconds it does shut down, yes.

Is there a way I can fix it, like reinstall or whatever using CWM, without losing all my apps and such? I also wanna figure out what I did wrong the first time so this won't happen again...

irisclara

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
EMMC is the internal memory.

If it were me I would say goodbye to my apps for now and reinstall from scratch then post this problem at xda-developer if no one here has an answer about what happened. If you're worried that it might happen again back up early and often.

Is this your problem?
[Q] NC wont boot after formatting SD for apps2sd - xda-developers

Sorry if this doesn't help. I'm not a developer, just another user. I haven't even had the nerve to try putting CM7 on internal memory. It runs fine for me off of a card and if it chokes I just remove the card. As you can see I always anticipate failure.;)

Reactions: conductor_bosh

irisclara

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
After some research I found these threads on xda-developer that might address your problem. I can't tell from the info you've given so far. They're mostly short so you should be able to see if they'll help you without having to read 25 pages or anything.

[Q] nook stuck on "touch the future of reading" HELP!! - xda-developers
Suddenly stuck at "Touch the future of reading" - xda-developers
[Q] Stuck on "Touching the Future of Reading" - xda-developers
Need help. Stuck in "Touch the future" boot loop. - xda-developers

I hope you find your answer. It looks like it's probably either a card formatting issue or something to do with the kernel. Good luck.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much, I'll read those later this evening when I've got time.

Yeah, I installed to internal memory because I just wanted the card as extra storage.

I already backed up, at some point yesterday, using Rom Manager. How can I access the backup?

irisclara

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
See if you can get clockworkmod to come up by booting to recovery (hold down n key and power button for 6 seconds on startup), If it works just select backup and restore, then select restore and then select the file to restore (it should make sense when you see it). If you can't get booted to recovery try removing the sd card and booting normally then inserting the card and starting clockworkmod and doing the above. If that doesn't work you need a bootable clockworkmod card
[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers
or follow the instructions in the link in this thread
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers

Good luck.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
See if you can get clockworkmod to come up by booting to recovery (hold down n key and power button for 6 seconds on startup), If it works just select backup and restore, then select restore and then select the file to restore (it should make sense when you see it). If you can't get booted to recovery try removing the sd card and booting normally then inserting the card and starting clockworkmod and doing the above. If that doesn't work you need a bootable clockworkmod card
[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers
or follow the instructions in the link in this thread
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers

Good luck.

Thanks again, I'll try that when I get back home and post here how it goes.

I do wonder why the nook will only boot up when plugged in, but hopefully that'll get resolved, too.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I rolled back to stock 1.0.1, then updated to stock 1.2. Then I installed the latest CM 7 nightly, google apps, and an OC kernel. So far everything seems to be going smoothly.

thanks for all the help!

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting to have someone tell me I royally screwed the pooch on this, but my friend's Nook was doing the same thing, going to the "Touch the future of reading" screen and staying there. I have a feeling that this was due to using the overclock software built into Phiremod, because it started right after I turned the overclock on, and he turned his device off for the night (wouldn't boot the next morning). We're both running Phiremod (I set up both Nooks), so I booted his into Clockwork recovery. I went to mounts/storeage and formatted the cache then rebooted. Viola. Immediately solved the problem, I chcecked, and after the cache format, the overclock was turned off, and back to the normal 800mhz. Thoughts or ideas? Is this a viable fix, or was I just lucky? lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463