CM7 on SD and Google Apps

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have CM7 installed on an SD card, and running well, but having issues with installing Google Apps. For some reason, I cannot get booted into recovery no matter what I do. Can someone give me some pointers on how to get apps on here? Any ideas why I cannot get booted into recovery?

I am a bit of a Noob, but not a TOTAL Noob. Thanks to all willing to help.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
With CM7, when you press the power key, the popup menu will allow you to select reboot. When you select that, another popup allows you to select reboot or recovery.

If you have ROM manager installed, one of the menu selections is to reboot into recovery.

These methods are much easier than trying to time when to release the n key, etc.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have tried both of these methods, and neither will go into recovery. I was able to get it into recovery without the SD card in, but cannot get the G apps installed. I am going to work on it some more tonight.

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue, no matter what I did I could not boot into recovery and install gapps.
What I ended up doing was reformatting the SD card, and re-installing CM7. The difference was that this time I placed the CM7 ROM and gapps in the root folder at the same time. It then installed CM7, and gapps immediately thereafter. Worked very well.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue, no matter what I did I could not boot into recovery and install gapps.
What I ended up doing was reformatting the SD card, and re-installing CM7. The difference was that this time I placed the CM7 ROM and gapps in the root folder at the same time. It then installed CM7, and gapps immediately thereafter. Worked very well.
I think I am going to need to do the same thing, but I have a dumb question. How do I reformat the SD? It does not show up as a drive.

Update: I figured out how to reformat the card. Duh! Now I am trying the install again with the gapps at the same time. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

rlferg1

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to need to do the same thing, but I have a dumb question. How do I reformat the SD? It does not show up as a drive.

Update: I figured out how to reformat the card. Duh! Now I am trying the install again with the gapps at the same time. Wish me luck!
No duh about it. I had an sd card that wouldn't work with the cm7 install. I reformatted it Win XP and card reader), but it shows no space. So How do I reinstall cm7 plus google apps and any apps after that. I am not real familiar with the process, as my name suggests. Thanx.

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No duh about it. I had an sd card that wouldn't work with the cm7 install. I reformatted it Win XP and card reader), but it shows no space. So How do I reinstall cm7 plus google apps and any apps after that. I am not real familiar with the process, as my name suggests. Thanx.
Try this- after you format your SD card in Windows so CM7 is gone, place it back in the NC and then format from there. You should be in the stock OS when you delete CM7, just go to your settings (I believe it is My Device or something like that) and format the SD card. You should then be able to see the whole card.

fldtrlr

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem installing Google apps. Tried copying gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip at the same time as cm7 and rebooting in recovery with ROM Manager. CM7 (6/20 nightly update) seems to work fine but pulling out my hair tring to install apps. Any other suggestions for a relative noob?

scamo

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
gapps wont install

I am having the same problem . Cant install the gapps . Tried two methods the n button and power button and the recovery boot . Thinking of redoing the card are installing gapps with cm7.

mute

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: gapps wont install

I am having the same problem . Cant install the gapps . Tried two methods the n button and power button and the recovery boot . Thinking of redoing the card are installing gapps with cm7.
Like it's been said already, install them one right after the other..

If gapps still isn't installing:

I have a 8gb SD Card and 1gb SD Card. gapps will never install if I use the 1gb card. I always had to use the 8gb card. Kinda sucked because I just wanted to keep the 1gb card as a "ready to go" boot/install while I was experimenting and breaking things. I tried it many many times in many different ways and the 1gb card never worked. I suspect by the time the image is written to the card, and the rom(s) is extracted, it runs out of temp space to complete the install. The same probably goes true for a 2gb card. The answer is a larger SD card.