Nook HD & HD+ On Sale For Father's Day

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
B&N has put the Nook HD and HD+ on sale this week for Father's Day.

The HD is $129/$149 for the 8GB/16GB versions

The HD+ is $149/$179 for the 16GB/32GB versions.

Tadb123

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've owned several tablets over the past three years and the Nook HD+ with 16 GB is a deal at $149. The display is as good as it gets, and now that you have direct access to Google Play it's an acceptable Android tablet. I know the OS is ICS with B&N's GUI, but it's not bad. my biggest complaint is how smudged up the display can get, but using a stylus helps. There is not another 9" tablet in it's class for $149, and it's very light to hold with a great battery.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
is the Nook HD+, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD or iPad Mini the best tablet for kids?

Ideally, I'd like to use the tablet as well, but have my daughter play some games/watch content on it. Sorry if this isn't the right place.

Justin M.

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I just bought 2 32gb HD+'s. They do everything that I want in a tablet except for having a camera for video chat(which I can live without for the price).

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
is the Nook HD+, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD or iPad Mini the best tablet for kids?

Ideally, I'd like to use the tablet as well, but have my daughter play some games/watch content on it. Sorry if this isn't the right place.

Nexus 7 by far.

But I'd say it's best to just wait a few weeks for the Nexus 7 II with 1200p display, S4 Pro processor, and 2GB RAM.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if the Nexus 7 is better for kids than the Nook. I like the parental control setup on the Nook better, and find the screen far superior. If they are into playing a lot of hardcore games with intense graphis, yes Nexus 7, but if their gaming is more in line with fruit ninja, I'd rather go Nook HD+.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the Nexus 7 is better for kids than the Nook. I like the parental control setup on the Nook better, and find the screen far superior. If they are into playing a lot of hardcore games with intense graphis, yes Nexus 7, but if their gaming is more in line with fruit ninja, I'd rather go Nook HD+.

Why not Nexus 7 II?

Also, I think the OP would benefit from the multi-user feature found only in the Nexus 7 and its successor.

joe

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
One more thing to think about. The Nexus 7 is fragile! I had a nexus 7 and now a nook HD (thanks to the ultra cheap father's day pricing which, apparently, they are continuing for a while.) Anyway, I took my nexus 7 off the charger and it fell a short distance to the carpeted floor. The screen cracked from corner to corner and the digitizer only works in small portions of the screen. It would cost nearly as much as a new Nexus 7 to replace the screen. I have dropped the nook HD in similar circumstances (perhaps I should be less clumsy!), anyway, it survived just fine. The wrap-around plastic of the nook absorbs most of the shock instead of transferring it to the brittle edge-to-edge glass of the nexus. I only bring this up because you are mentioning that you want something for kids. Also, the multi-user interface is good on both the nook and the Nexus. There is no option for this on IOS. Lastly, with the nook's current pricing, and the opening it up to the play store, that is the direction I would go.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
One more thing to think about. The Nexus 7 is fragile! I had a nexus 7 and now a nook HD (thanks to the ultra cheap father's day pricing which, apparently, they are continuing for a while.) Anyway, I took my nexus 7 off the charger and it fell a short distance to the carpeted floor. The screen cracked from corner to corner and the digitizer only works in small portions of the screen. It would cost nearly as much as a new Nexus 7 to replace the screen. I have dropped the nook HD in similar circumstances (perhaps I should be less clumsy!), anyway, it survived just fine. The wrap-around plastic of the nook absorbs most of the shock instead of transferring it to the brittle edge-to-edge glass of the nexus.

That's purely circumstantial. My Nexus 7 literally flew out of my hands from 4 feet in the air twice (with no protection) and it has no damage. Plus, what's wrong with a case?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Picked up the HD+ 16GB today at BB for $149-$25 rewards point cert I had. Not a bad deal at $125.

I read that Barnes will keep the price at this level all summer. Of course rumors are the Nook will be killed off by next year or so, but I'm sure the tablet will still be useable past that point in time.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Why not Nexus 7 II?

Also, I think the OP would benefit from the multi-user feature found only in the Nexus 7 and its successor.

Nexus 7 II? That's not yet out ;-).

As for multi-user, yes that's a nice feature, but in some respects the NookHD has multiuser as well. You can't have multiple accounts (barnes and noble, etc) but you can have multiple profiles with different app/book selection (by age/rating) and screen layouts. No full multiuser, but works well if you have a single B&N accout you want to share among the family but still keep it personal.